Build assistance

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Post by Krisqo » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:47 pm

Now we have another problem. I got everything working and I tidied up the wires and such. But when I tried turning it on again, the fans and LEDs turn on for a second and then shut off. The MoBo lights are still on but the thing won't power up. What did I do? I just unplugged everything and will try plugging it back together tomorrow, but I have no Idea what caused this. Any Ideas?

Chez
Not Mexican
Org Profile

Post by Chez » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:22 pm

could be a overheating issue did you make sure you installed the HSF properly and put on some thermal compound (if you bought a hsf if stock should have some on it already)
Image I stream and stuff o.o

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Post by Krisqo » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:49 pm

Yeah covered the whole processor. And I'm sure it's not overheating since the longest I've run the thing is about 2 mins.

Though I did just have a nice scare. The jacks for the onboard mic and headphone connectors are on the very bottom of my case and the wire barely reached after maneuvering around my brick of a Graphics Card. But I read online that there might be a PSU problem. Luckily I have a spare one on hand (430watts) and I plugged that in. It tried to start but began revving like a car and then out of the blue I smelled burning rubber and some smoke coming from the audio jacks so I killed the power and pulled them out. Tried it again and all worked well. Put the 750watt back in and it boots again like new. (Still wondering where the OS came from, though. )

Could that wire shorting have prevented my machine from starting up since the revving never happened with the new PSU.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:15 pm

a modern processor can overheat in under 10 seconds if it isn't properly cooled
(and amd Durons could actually explode if you took the heatsink+fan off, n00btube exploding duron for proof)
try reseating your cpu's heatsink+fan

no idea about the other stuff though...

Joe88
Org Profile

Post by Joe88 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:40 am

Krisqo wrote:
Could that wire shorting have prevented my machine from starting up since the revving never happened with the new PSU.
very possible

any other piece of metal touching the case which also receive the short, cd drives, hard drives, psu's ect...

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Post by Krisqo » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:47 am

Well I sat on it and booted this morning and it works wonders. Still boots to an unknown copy of windows XP but kept it on for a few minutes and no problems so I think the wire just shorted. Oh well. Was planning on getting a dedicated audio card anyway.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”