Donations and a New Storage Server

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:29 pm

I saw "streaming" and I felt my stomach drop through the floor. I'm a bit fuzzy about how this would a) help with bandwidth/storage issues, b) generate revenue [sub-b) if it worked, generate enough revenue to offset the costs associated with streaming the video] and is c) something we really need. Is a-m-v.org out to compete with the Tube or is it out to set itself apart from the Tube (and every other streaming media site)? A lot of videos here can already be found - far easier - in streaming format elsewhere. I find it hard to believe the people THERE will come HERE to see something they can see THERE for free, without any hassle, in an environment they're highly familiar with. And if they do come here, well - you're bandwidth just went up and somehow I don't think they're going to be donating very much.

I've brought this up before, as far as product perks are concerned: don't make them pay-as-you-go, make them (as Bashar also suggested) available to donators who contribute a certain amount. I'm a donator, but I'd happily fork over a bigger chunk of change for official swag, a lot more change than the swag would actually cost to purchase and ship. (figures I already got my non-official shirt in the mail the other day!)
Phade wrote: 3) Auction off the hard drives individually filled with the best videos available on the site and then auction the servers (sans hard drives). The hard drives themselves range from 160G to 250G each. At an average of 35MB per video, that would be about 4500 to 7100 of the best videos ever created on each drive. Winners would be able to choose from best of the old, best of the new, or best of all time. I think option #3 is the best for both the site and site members.
I like that option, too. I could see fun stuff happening at cons if such video collections were in circulation. I'd just be a tad bit interested in keeping track of who bought them and what was being done with them. In other words, I wouldn't want to see them in the hands of someone who was going to do something bad with all that material, which includes turning around and perhaps trying to put them online somewhere else, sell them off, whatever. I chose a-m-v.org to host my videos, I don't want them showing up somewhere else a) without my permission or b) without my knowledge. Hence my concern over whose hands these collections would be placed in.

Corran
Org Profile

Re: Donations and a New Storage Server

Post by Corran » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:11 pm

dazza1008 wrote:
Phade wrote: Donations:
With the extra storage space, we are looking into possibly allowing streaming videos in addition to the current downloads. We could make video streaming a “donator only” feature. Donators could view any video in streaming format, have the option to show their own videos in streaming format to non-donating members, and have the option to block their own videos from streaming if the creator wanted to have their videos available for download only.
Um, isn't the bandwidth the precious thing here, rather than server space? Wouldn't streaming use that up very very quickly? Cool idea though.
Most casual AMV fans I know download videos, watch them once, rate them, and (Aside from their most favorite amvs) then delete them. This in itself uses far more bandwidth than streaming a lower quality version once and rating it. If people like a streamed video enough to watch it multiple times, they can fetch the local copy rather than waste the orgs bandwidth.

@Scintilla: The local copies would still exist. Streaming videos would be more of a preview feature rather than a replacement.
Bauzi wrote:
we need to figure out ways to boost donations in order to keep the site going.
Well I looked at the donation site and this was more like... "Aha some bunch of rules" and than you come up with stuff like credit cards or paypal. I know paypal, but do I know how it works or how I can obtain this "paypal"? No I don´t. Do I have a credit card... well no. =/
What I want to say is that you might want to add some tutorials or intrudoctions on how you can make a donation. Step by step guides.
If you have any questions regarding donations, please post them here:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... hp?t=89437
I've blocked off the second post in that thread to eventually make a FAQ. I'd like to make a guide at some point or change the existing wording to make things easier but I haven't gotten around to it.
Code wrote:I say that donators should get extra perks. Like not having to request >100 MB transfers, but make it like >250 MB or something.
I have a feeling that is one reason that the server has filled up so quickly. I personally would like more people to stay well under the current limit. People with a good grasp of x264 should be able to get standard definition videos at or under the 10MB/minute mark with little visual loss in quality...

Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.
Org Profile

Post by Tsunami Jones » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:18 pm

phade wrote: 2) Auction them off as is here on the site with all the videos they have still intact.
I personally like this option the best. I think it's a bit more of a memento this way as compared to wiping the drives, etc. (even if other videos are put on them)

meleechampion
Org Profile

Post by meleechampion » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:31 pm

DriftRoot wrote:I chose a-m-v.org to host my videos, I don't want them showing up somewhere else a) without my permission or b) without my knowledge. Hence my concern over whose hands these collections would be placed in.
LOL@ the notion that you can control where something ends up once you put it on the internet

I'm not here to nitpick though, I'm here to finally donate!

I have a quasi-question for you then. I understand that not every cent of my donation through PayPal makes it to the right hands, but it still seems like the best option to me. I'm not paranoid, but I have had my CC number stolen before (somehow), so I'm rightfully cautious. If you have a decent (different than the donation page) argument why I should use anything other than PayPal to make my donation, speak it now.

Also, I'm going to pitch in as "against" the streaming topic. My vote counts because I'm paying, right? There are plenty of reasons why we don't want to go streaming, but I'll leave that explanation to the wordsmiths.

Also, for the old stuff, I would wipe and sell the majority, and auction off "a few" because honestly, I don't see that much of a demand for the items.

Also, I too would buy official org merch.

That is all, and I hope the site can live a long healthy many years to come!

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:46 pm

HOLY CARP PHADE LIVES!

...sorry for the useless post, but I already donated (look at mah profile!) so uhm...carry on.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:02 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:As an aside, I'd like to try to get you to address a concern I have regarding a doomsday scenario. If we get taken down, I know you've said in the past you'd comply, but what about turning over donation information so we, the donators, can be prosecuted for "funding a criminal piracy organization" or however they'd trump up the charges? In other words... you stand before this court a <strike>Witch</strike> <strike>Communist</strike> <strike>Death Eater</strike> Pirate, are there any names you wish to offer to save yourself? I love this place and will freely donate (lots more) money, but only if I don't feel endangered. I'm sure others feel the same way.
x2.
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: Donations and a New Storage Server

Post by Scintilla » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:27 pm

Corran wrote:@Scintilla: The local copies would still exist. Streaming videos would be more of a preview feature rather than a replacement.
I never meant to imply otherwise. Actually, wait -- are you saying you would have to make the video available for local download in order to make it available for streaming (couldn't have a stream without a local)? Because if so, then I guess those people I mentioned wouldn't be attracted after all.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:32 pm

Orwell wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:As an aside, I'd like to try to get you to address a concern I have regarding a doomsday scenario. If we get taken down, I know you've said in the past you'd comply, but what about turning over donation information so we, the donators, can be prosecuted for "funding a criminal piracy organization" or however they'd trump up the charges? In other words... you stand before this court a <strike>Witch</strike> <strike>Communist</strike> <strike>Death Eater</strike> Pirate, are there any names you wish to offer to save yourself? I love this place and will freely donate (lots more) money, but only if I don't feel endangered. I'm sure others feel the same way.
x2.
While I understand the concern, I don't quite see what the .org can do about that. I mean, however you slice it, you're involved in the production and distribution of AMVs by virtue of being involved in this hobby and supporting it. While it's understandable that you wouldn't want to suffer any consequences, I don't think the .org is in a position to make any guarantees. The staff here are very much in the same boat as you - they're volunteers and they've only done slightly more "against the "law"" here than the average AMVer. I frankly think it's unfair to expect them to "take the bullet" for everyone if such a scenario occurs, let alone promise that they'll vow silence. What could they say anyway? "Scout's Honor"?

More to the topic - I thought bandwith was never an issue for the .org (I recall phade or derobert talking about it before), so streaming I would most welcome, though I'd still be mostly downloading things.

I really agree that some sort of merchandise should be tried on again. I think there may be a critical mass for it now that it may work. DriftRoot's idea ("if you donate a certain amount you get [something]") may be a good way to encourage people to donate more. For encouraging more people to donate, I think streaming may well be a nifty little trick.

For the HDs - how about letting people bid on the HDs and then deciding whether they want Option #2 or #3? I think some people may prefer one, while others might like the other.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

NS
I like pants
Org Profile

Post by NS » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:35 pm

What constitutes the "best" videos? All the popular ones or just any that is generally deemed as decent?

NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator
Org Profile

Post by NeoQuixotic » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:57 pm

I like the auctioning off of hard drives. From what I've seen go down at conventions, hard drives full of AMVs from Phade go for top dollar. Out with the old and in with the new! :D
Insert clever text/image here.

Return to “Site Announcements”