XiaoMovieMaker
Org Profile

Post by XiaoMovieMaker » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:44 pm

gratz to the winners!
i wish i was there to see the encore of my vid O__O

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:37 pm

anneke wrote:The difference between 'Love in your Eyes' and 'Be a Man' is that 'Be a Man' showed at Fanime and Anime Expo, and a majority of the Mikonmicon attendees do attend/will have attended Fanime and/or Anime Expo. Only a very small percentage of attendees will have been to AnimeNext or Otakon (if any at all). The reason videos are disqualified from contests for winning is because of the audience already having a bias towards the video. Both videos should have been disqualified but one far more then the other. If a video wins at a small convention and entered into another small convention no big deal. But these are videos that won at BIG conventions and then entered to a SMALL convention. The creators should have known better to begin with. But because Mikomicon gives out such nice prizes to the winner, there is alot of selfish greed that comes out of the creators. Because I would bet neither of those creators attended the convention either. While creators who came to the convention, and SUPPORTED the convention watched themselves get cheated out of winning by videos that should have been disqualified.

-Anneke
I really don't agree with that logic what your saying seens to imply that video that win big or creators that are present SHOULD not really enter. This in many cases would result in very few entires and proably not a good contest... However we are getting off topic here all I conclude is that it' up to each contest to make up the rules as creators can always choose not to enter if they do not agree...

Congrats to the winners...

Vlad

actawesome
Org Profile

Post by actawesome » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:49 am

Congrats to the winners =D

First time entering in an AMV contest, and I think it was a pretty good first try =D.

Next time, my entry will be 5x better =D

MieAga
Org Profile

Post by MieAga » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:26 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:I really don't agree with that logic what your saying seens to imply that video that win big or creators that are present SHOULD not really enter. This in many cases would result in very few entires and proably not a good contest... However we are getting off topic here all I conclude is that it' up to each contest to make up the rules as creators can always choose not to enter if they do not agree...

Vlad
It's common courtesy not to troll a video. That's what I had thought that MikomiCon was against as well. The comment about not letting winning videos be entered ruining the show. Well isn't that a mean statement? Judging the others as not good for not being the one 'lucky' enough to have won a few awards...is a bit short sighted.

And if I'd known that the judges were ok with, in fact purposely, changing their rules at the end of their contest to justify their decisions, I wouldn't have entered. It's unfair to play by the rules and then have the rules changed to benifit someone specifically. I can't even honestly call that a contest really.

All in all, good to know for the future.
Takes all kinds to make a World...

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:55 pm

i'm afraid i'd have to agree. if a video wins a competition that doesn't allow previous winners, and later is found out to be a troll, the award should be revoked. i understand receiving back any prizes that were given out is slim to none, but the title can at least be taken back. (sorry kerry :( )

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:40 pm

MieAga wrote:
Vlad G Pohnert wrote:I really don't agree with that logic what your saying seens to imply that video that win big or creators that are present SHOULD not really enter. This in many cases would result in very few entires and proably not a good contest... However we are getting off topic here all I conclude is that it' up to each contest to make up the rules as creators can always choose not to enter if they do not agree...

Vlad
It's common courtesy not to troll a video. That's what I had thought that MikomiCon was against as well. The comment about not letting winning videos be entered ruining the show. Well isn't that a mean statement? Judging the others as not good for not being the one 'lucky' enough to have won a few awards...is a bit short sighted.

And if I'd known that the judges were ok with, in fact purposely, changing their rules at the end of their contest to justify their decisions, I wouldn't have entered. It's unfair to play by the rules and then have the rules changed to benifit someone specifically. I can't even honestly call that a contest really.

I don’t' disagree that once the rules are in place, it's a good policy to change them midways or at the end... However, it is always possible to miss awards these days so if anything it might be a good idea to work into the rules something on the lines that all effort will be made to check for awards with no guarantees as rescinding awards sucks and only may hurt in back feedback as well... Hmmm... maybe a seperate discussion about this might be for the best.

Vlad

Vlad

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:31 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:
MieAga wrote:

Vlad

I don’t' disagree that once the rules are in place, it's a good policy to change them midways or at the end... However, it is always possible to miss awards these days so if anything it might be a good idea to work into the rules something on the lines that all effort will be made to check for awards with no guarantees as rescinding awards sucks and only may hurt in back feedback as well... Hmmm... maybe a seperate discussion about this might be for the best.

Vlad

Vlad
I think the reason folks are upset is b/c the rules got changed midway and no one was informed otherwise. I'm perfectly fine with letting contests figure out their own rules and if I disagree, I don't enter, but to disregard your own rules is a bit much.

Also this is me being a bit dickish, but it's been irking me a bit lately. There's trolling in the 'it violates the rules' and then there's TROLLING in the 'I'm going to submit to EVERY FREAKING CONTEST.'

Some videos this year (not necessarily only at this con) have been trolling contests for 6 or 7 months and 10+ contests. There's 'wanting to show your video at a few more places and getting exposure' and 'I WANT MOAR AWARDS AND AM THE BEST LOLOLOLOL.' But that's just *my* opinion and frankly everyone can do whatever the hell they want...however, that doesn't mean I won't frown upon your actions.

...this feels like 2002 all over again ;).
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:05 am

dwchang wrote:...this feels like 2002 all over again ;).
:twisted:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:01 am

Castor Troy wrote:
dwchang wrote:...this feels like 2002 all over again ;).
:twisted:
I wondered if you'd see that hence the ;).
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:56 am

dwchang wrote:Also this is me being a bit dickish, but it's been irking me a bit lately. There's trolling in the 'it violates the rules' and then there's TROLLING in the 'I'm going to submit to EVERY FREAKING CONTEST.'

Some videos this year (not necessarily only at this con) have been trolling contests for 6 or 7 months and 10+ contests.
Oh good, so I'm not the only one who noticed this.

I'm not going to name names, but some of the people I've noticed doing this *might* have an excuse because I don't think they've been on the con circuit for that long and they plausibly might not be familiar with common conventions regarding trolling... but others have been around too long not to know.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Return to “AMV Contests”