MikomiCon 08 AGMV Winners

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Raynovac
Org Profile

MikomiCon 08 AGMV Winners

Post by Raynovac » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:39 pm

Thank you to all who participated in the contest. Here are the results

Most Artistic
Runner up: Sensei Sensei - Corpsegoddess
Winner: Jurassic Eva - - Mouse with a moustache Productions

Most Technical
Runner up: Last Regret - Erudito
Winner: Dance Your Pants Off! - Xiao

Judges Favorite
Runner up: Whatevah - Corpsegoddess
Winner Be a Man - NightHawk

Audience
Best Action: Be A Man - NightHawk
Best Drama: Love’s in your Eyes - Dragon/Roy
Best Upbeat: Dance your Pant Off! - Xiao
Best Comedy: Jurassic Eva - Mouse with a moustache Productions
Best of Show: Be A Man - NightHawk

All winners will have swag shipped to them using the shipping address they included on their entry.
If you have any questions, please contact me.

Thank you and see you next year.
Wesley Hartman

CorpseGoddess
Org Profile

Post by CorpseGoddess » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:18 pm

Congrats, everybody. :)

anneke
Org Profile

I call Foul!

Post by anneke » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:27 am

Per the Mikomicon Website and Rules of the video contest:

Any video that has won a prior award is ineligible for entry.
Any video that has participated in a large number of contests may be considered ineligible. This is to prevent people from spamming a video everywhere. The Mikomicon staff will make these decisions as to whether or not a video is in violation of this rule.
Considering the proximity of our due dates with other conventions as well as when the convention is, the rule of "Any video that has won a prior award is ineligible for entry." This rule will only apply to convention AMV contest so if you won an award for an online contest, you are still perfectly eligible. Along those lines too, If you won at a convention but the convention was after the due date i.e. you won the AWA contest, you video will still be eligible since you won after the MikomiCon contest Deadline

I would say winning best in show at Fanime and best action at Anime Expo should have disqualified 'Be a Man' from being in the contest.

Last year I asked and my video 'History of Anime' was not allowed to be shown as it had won 'best of show' at Fanime that year as well (and it had been shown at just Fanime). I hope this situation will be explained and fixed.

-Anneke
http://www.bakadeshiproductions.com
(Stop by for a different Video each month...)

Darkfigure88
Org Profile

Voted for DANCE YOUR PANTS OFF!

Post by Darkfigure88 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:10 am

hey, are there any places online where I can watch that video?
DANCE YOUR PANTS OFF! was the best and should have won in my opinion it got an encore for heavens sake.

mlarad
Org Profile

Post by mlarad » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:54 am

That is true "Be a Man" wasn't even suppose to be a finalist since it has won previously. Since is in the rules that is completely unfair to people who made a new AMV or didn't submit a video they would have prefer because it previously won something.
That video should be disqualified and to the judges:

If you are going to make rules about videos not being able to participate for certain reasons, you should do a better investigation about the videos submitted to the contest to avoid this kind of conflicts and unfairness to other participants.
~ Mlarad

Zero Link
Org Profile

Post by Zero Link » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:30 am

-_-

Only ones I pretty much agree with are:

Sensei Sensei - Corpsegoddess

Whatevah - Corpsegoddess

Anyway, I'm not going to complain. Congratulations to the best of show winner.

Raynovac
Org Profile

Post by Raynovac » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:24 am

There have been some issues in regards to the winners of the contest.

I do know that the Best of Show had won at previous conventions. I also had videos that had won awards for competitions for east coast conventions but had already sent out notifications that their videos was accepted. While it is easy to find winners of large conventions such as Fanime and AX, other conventions are more difficult to research either because contests do post the results in a easy to find location, typos in names when running searches, etc. The creator had contacted me about showing it outside of the contest stating that he had already won at other contests and I accepted to show it outside of the contest. After finding the other videos I found it unfair to allow other videos but not "Be a Man". Conversely, I found it unfair to revoke the other videos because I could not find their wins that weren't published as broadly as a large convention such as AX and had already told them that they were accepted.

I also believe that exposure to a creators is what is important. A video that has won at a convention a smaller attendance has a likelihood of not been shown at a larger convention because of the filtering process that is present at those conventions. Showing the videos are what most creators want.

With that, I rescinded the rule in regards to being a previous winner after discussing the issue with the chairman of the convention as per one of the rules which MikomiCon Staff reserves the right to modify any of the rules without notice. I contacted the creator saying that we adjusted the rule and asked if he would accept being in the competition and he accepted. This is in no way the creator's fault. The rule will either be revised or removed for future contests.

I apologize for not notifying the other creators but due to time constraints and other factor I am not in control of, I could not notify the other creators.

I understand that the problem is the original rule and not the video itself and that many other creators enjoy this video but this was the solution to show all the videos. This is the explanation.

I am currently designing and will program an online submissions system. This new system will post all videos that creators submit on the MikomiCon website. This new system will accept do the information gathering and create the FTP/Upload information and keep personal information confidential. I also want to add a way for creators to check the status of their entry online. This is in the hopes that if there is a problem with a video that I did not catch, someone else will. This will also streamline the submission process and reduce error such as typos, blank entry forms and mis-categorization. This will also send email confirmations to the creators about their video. This is the solution that I have devised. If there are any suggestions, recommendations and/or opinions on what this system should also include, please send me your suggests and I will do my best to implement them. This solution is the best solution I could find.

I am sure that there will still be some creators that will not be happy with this explanation and solution so feel free to contact me with any other questions or clarification requests.

Wesley Hartman A.K.A Raynovac

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: I call Foul!

Post by Scintilla » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:26 am

anneke wrote:I would say winning best in show at Fanime and best action at Anime Expo should have disqualified 'Be a Man' from being in the contest.
And Best Romance at both AnimeNEXT and Otakon should have disqualified "Love's In Your Eyes".
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:41 am

This is why I don't bother with such a rule in my contests and with so many cons out there it seems to be unfair to "limit" contests to videos that have not won. And limits how much you can win before being DQed is too subjective to personal opinion in my opinion. That and the fact that I see a LOT more issues of creators saying "Hey, it won already" after the Coordinator accepts the video already (It's happening a lot more lately)

What I do is rather limit how old the video can be (usually within 6 months of the con date) so that newer videos are in the contest regardless of what they won... Even at that, it makes it tough sometimes to verify the exact premiere date of a video so something like the decision of the coordinator for videos to be accepted into entry is final needs to be in there as well.

Vlad

anneke
Org Profile

Post by anneke » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:47 am

The difference between 'Love in your Eyes' and 'Be a Man' is that 'Be a Man' showed at Fanime and Anime Expo, and a majority of the Mikonmicon attendees do attend/will have attended Fanime and/or Anime Expo. Only a very small percentage of attendees will have been to AnimeNext or Otakon (if any at all). The reason videos are disqualified from contests for winning is because of the audience already having a bias towards the video. Both videos should have been disqualified but one far more then the other. If a video wins at a small convention and entered into another small convention no big deal. But these are videos that won at BIG conventions and then entered to a SMALL convention. The creators should have known better to begin with. But because Mikomicon gives out such nice prizes to the winner, there is alot of selfish greed that comes out of the creators. Because I would bet neither of those creators attended the convention either. While creators who came to the convention, and SUPPORTED the convention watched themselves get cheated out of winning by videos that should have been disqualified.

-Anneke
http://www.bakadeshiproductions.com
(Stop by for a different Video each month...)

Return to “AMV Contests”