What's like to be at a big anime convention?

Convention Meetups, Socials, and Events
Forum rules
If posting about a specific convention, please mention the year along with its name in the title.
Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:06 pm

I think most people would agree that the largest group of AMV editors at a convention is Anime Weekend Atlanta. There is a HUGE amount of them gathered there (just look at the AWA dinner thread, I think we're up in the 70's). ACen is starting to get up there, too, considering that we encourage more and more people to come each year.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:27 am

What's it like to hang out at an anime convention with fellow AMV creators
You end up hoping something wonderfully tragic happens to most of the people you meet. Examples: financial turmoil, abnormal mental stress, metastatic cancer or other terminal illness, etc.

Well, that's the way I ended up. YMMV.

and which conventions have the vast majority of them or is most likely to have them? (That's a better question, if you know the answer or not!)
See above post.

Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:42 am

Ileia wrote:I think most people would agree that the largest group of AMV editors at a convention is Anime Weekend Atlanta. There is a HUGE amount of them gathered there (just look at the AWA dinner thread, I think we're up in the 70's).
And that's a low count for being this close to time. :P
I think we had just over 100 people last year, and 80+ the first year I took over hosting duties.

Minion wrote:my take is, if you were sober enough to remember what an anime convention was like, you may need to revise your approach.
x2

trythil wrote:
You end up hoping something wonderfully tragic happens to most of the people you meet. Examples: financial turmoil, abnormal mental stress, metastatic cancer or other terminal illness, etc.
There is this high likely hood as well. Not necessarily just with the AMV community but alao with certain levels of rabid fan-girl/boy-ieness that will make you want to wrap a plastic bag around their face and ducttape it shut. Or the random con goers that seem to find pleasure in breaking the facilities because they have no control over their destructive juvenile habits, mostly due to poor parenting.

NightMistress85
Org Profile

Post by NightMistress85 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:53 am

Well I've never been to AWA, but for Otakon, the dinner at Unos with the 3 other editors and my friends was nice :P . The post-iron editor dinner had more, but nowhere close to AWA.
trythil wrote: You end up hoping something wonderfully tragic happens to most of the people you meet. Examples: financial turmoil, abnormal mental stress, metastatic cancer or other terminal illness, etc.

Well, that's the way I ended up. YMMV.
I kinda just hope they eventually grow to appreciate the value of a bath (if we're talking about con-goers in general).

One good thing about Otakon this year I must say was that I could breathe. It felt like there were less people around so I didn't have to gag at the whiff of any smellies...

mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Post by mexicanjunior » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:22 am

AWA is good times... :up:

Adv1sor
Org Profile

Post by Adv1sor » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:34 am

is like this
http://www.Utube.com/watch?v=3F58YCp9eZQ

replace the "U" with, well, you know what with...

It doesn't matter who you go with, it doens't matter what you do there, much better to go with zero expectations and just let the con fill in the days.

Lord Rae
Org Profile

Post by Lord Rae » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:39 am

mexicanjunior wrote:AWA is good times... :up:
Which is why you should go again Junior! I'll bring the poker set, you bring your holdem habbit. ;p

Farlo
expectations of deliberate annihilation
Org Profile

Post by Farlo » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:02 pm

Lord Rae wrote:
mexicanjunior wrote:AWA is good times... :up:
Which is why you should go again Junior! I'll bring the poker set, you bring your holdem habbit. ;p
ill bring the beer.

Lord Rae
Org Profile

Post by Lord Rae » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:49 pm

Junior needs Zima's with Jolly Ranchers dropped in. :lol:

Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:05 am

Rancher bombs kick ass!

That and dew drivers pretty much sum up the entire con experience.

Return to “Anime Conventions”