DragonCon 2008 AMV COntest

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Angelic_Sabyne
Org Profile

Post by Angelic_Sabyne » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:53 pm

deuceloosely wrote:If anyone is still on this thread, there was news.

Apparently, the AMV contest screening has been canceled due to pressure from ASCAP. What their interest in AMVs is would be anyone's guess.

Anyway, the judges will decide the winners, who will be announced after DC...hopefully. :?
If this is true, then that's a real shame. Source?

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:45 pm

Angelic_Sabyne wrote:
deuceloosely wrote:If anyone is still on this thread, there was news.

Apparently, the AMV contest screening has been canceled due to pressure from ASCAP. What their interest in AMVs is would be anyone's guess.

Anyway, the judges will decide the winners, who will be announced after DC...hopefully. :?
If this is true, then that's a real shame. Source?
I went to the DC web site link provided on this thread and tried to find a list of finalists there. I saw nothing in the news or on the updates but followed the "blog" link, which led to a LiveJournal. The announcement was placed there several days ago, although I don't know how anyone would have noticed it.

Honestly, this convention is already overtaxed without trying to host a AMV contest which (as I hear) few people even get to see because of bad scheduling. The anime track there is probably going to be crushed by everything else on the schedule (especially the autograph sessions and such).

I'd never attend DC anyway. From what I've heard, attendance is ridiculously overcrowded, the programming schedule is overwrought, and the event (when you factor in all expenses) is insanely expensive if you come from out of town.

*ahem*

Anyway, that's where I got the news from. :P
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

Bongu-san
Org Profile

Post by Bongu-san » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:55 pm

deuceloosely wrote:Apparently, the AMV contest screening has been canceled due to pressure from ASCAP.
From what I remember, the AMV contest was canceled last year. Then it was uncanceled, but the director lost the room the contest was originally suppose to run in (something about a battle between stormtroopers and klingons). So the director had to show it in the small anime video room.

So, they might get uncanceled, again. It would be best to wait on an official announcement
deuceloosely also wrote:What [ASCAP's] interest in AMVs is would be anyone's guess.
Their interest are simliar to the MPAA and RIAA. They have sued before.

Angelic_Sabyne
Org Profile

Post by Angelic_Sabyne » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:19 pm

Thanks for clarifying, Deuce. I had been poking around on the internet, but couldn't find anything that told me the contest was cancelled, hence why I asked. :)

I agree, let's wait and see how things go from here. If they are able to uncancel it, great. If not, well, I won't lose any sleep over it.

Tono_Fyr
Org Profile

Post by Tono_Fyr » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:46 pm

D*Con's fun sometimes, but for the most part, it's overcrowded by trendy mallgoths who like to suck on Rogue's cock.

And beyond that, it's so fucking expensive. Entry shouldn't be over TWICE what AWA costs at its most expensive, no matter how fucking big the con is.

Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:13 am

Haven't been in years, and was almost completely frightened away from cons altogether by my last go around. AWA is hands down the con of choice in Atlanta.

Lord Rae
Org Profile

Post by Lord Rae » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:11 am

damn straight....

Actually I live in Atlanta and have never been to dragoncon. I'm sure I'd enjoy it but it would have to be like AWA.... ie I'd have to have people to go with and have a good time hanging out with.

Nimthiriel
Org Profile

Post by Nimthiriel » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:13 pm

My format for the contest is to show the top four from each category from #4 to #1 and once I am done showing those I show videos from any creators in the audience. I love doing the contest and this one was the best one yet. :lol:

Now for the videos:

Drama:
#1 - RJ Smith - Smiling Faces and Cosmic Collisions
#2 - Duece Loosely Productions - Go Ask Haruhi
#3 - William Holman - You & I
#4 - Yusf - Lily-white

Comedy:
#1 - Chaosprojects - Magical B#@tchs
#2 - Chaosprojects - Azu-Fight!
#3 - Voorheeszilla Studios - Naruto Shorts 3
#4 - Duece Loosely Productions – narupepto

Romantic:
#1 - Amo-Chan – NotPretending
#2 - Chaosprojects - Love Me
#3 - AMV4000 – Time
#4 - AMV4000 - My December

Action:
#1 - AMV4000 - No Limit
#2 - Phantasmagoriat- Sweetest Embrace - Lunatic Moon_OCremix
#3 - Cassandra Lopez - A Time for Dying
#4 - BrakusMedia - Earth'sLastHope

I also played Baccano Swing by Studio Hybrid (for everyone there)

Thank you all for participating and we will be mailing stuff to the top three soon. However I have a real life with a real mortgage outside of DragonCon and it sometimes ties me up. Please forgive my delay.

As for all the comments above...I have hosted the contest for three years now and it has never been cancelled. There was a mix-up with the rooms last year so we moved it to Anime video rooms. Since I run those it was no big deal. :lol:

Now....Ghet....If I didn't actually know you in real life I might have taken the time to get offended but then I decided to just consider the source :roll:

Nim

Ghet
Org Profile

Post by Ghet » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:02 pm

Nimthiriel wrote: Now....Ghet....If I didn't actually know you in real life I might have taken the time to get offended but then I decided to just consider the source :roll:

Nim
wait... offended by what? i dun even remember what i said...

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:14 am

Nimthiriel wrote: Thank you all for participating and we will be mailing stuff to the top three soon.
...will we get to see the results before anything is mailed out? I'm kind of curious about who won the categories (four by my count, right?)...
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

Return to “AMV Contests”