Touching Effects Shuts Down WMM

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.
Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:55 am

strange things happen, but vlc media player is just that, a media player.
Installing it shouldn't have any effect on WMM (unless VLC is as unreliable as vista)

Like I said before, it may be WMM being its sucky self.

And I guarantee you that editing with divx will cause problems (without exception, tis only a matter of time)

pinky75910
Org Profile

Post by pinky75910 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:03 am

Kariudo wrote:strange things happen, but vlc media player is just that, a media player.
Installing it shouldn't have any effect on WMM (unless VLC is as unreliable as vista)

Like I said before, it may be WMM being its sucky self.

And I guarantee you that editing with divx will cause problems (without exception, tis only a matter of time)
VLC Player did the trick for me. So, what do you recommend? Even if I use your re-encoding, "WMM is still being its sucky self" - so, what, I should just go and buy a new editor?
Making an amv, is rather like being the director of a Broadway show, where you have a million dancers and each of them only knows one step.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=50239

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:56 am

Re-encode your source files into Huffyuv and take only the clips you will need to make the video because Huffyuv creates large files:
JaddziaDax wrote:open the video file in virtualdub mod go to video->compression->Huffyuv

then go to file->save

use those to mark the beginning and the end of the "clips" you want so you can save room

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:58 am

and buying a new video editing program (list here) might actually help you out if you get sick of WMM

pinky75910
Org Profile

Post by pinky75910 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:03 pm

Encoding isn't my problem, Even with nothing imported, the effects still shut it down. Does anyone have any suggestions that could help fix Movie Maker?
Making an amv, is rather like being the director of a Broadway show, where you have a million dancers and each of them only knows one step.

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Post by Krisqo » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:22 pm

WMM is a fudgey program. You import something, it can crash. You touch a button, it can crash. Hell, you look at it wrong, it can crash. Maybe your computer is having trouble running it? All the PCs I've used from old as dirt to new as hell have all had problems running WMM. Sure it would run sometimes, but then it would crash for no reason. I still wonder why Microsoft continues to include it with it's operating systems.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:31 pm

about the only thing you can do to get WMM working again is to reinstall your OS. It sounds like that point in time...

You see, when an editor loves a computer very, very much...the editor wants to do things. The problem is that the computer can't always deliver the goods. So the editor and the computer sit down and talk about making "the purchase." Then some magical and wonderful (and some not so wonderful) things happen and before you know it, you have your very own editing program installed on your computer.

the list linked earlier has some free programs if you don't want to spend money on a program yet.

pinky75910
Org Profile

Post by pinky75910 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:10 pm

I've only just discovered thanks to your gspot program that I have many avi files with many different codecs.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x58/ ... /codec.jpg

Do you know where I could get a codec to see this file? THank you for your help !

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:23 pm

blasted fansubbers...someone should shoot them for putting h.264 into avi...but that's beside the point

CCCP is pretty much your one-stop shop for video playback (sans the horrific softsub support ala VLC)

Installing it can cause a few problems, but if you go into the start menu folder for CCCP (after it's installed) and go through the 3 configuration things (1 for CCCP, 1 for ffdshow video and 1 for ffdshow audio, disable ffdshow for any codec that you already have) it shouldn't give you a problem.

pinky75910
Org Profile

Post by pinky75910 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:25 pm

No good. I had already tried CCCP, but at your suggestion dl'd the most recent version. It did make a few things watchable and importable, but I've just noticed there's no sound on these clips either. Tried dling a "vox audio codec" didn't know they made audio codecs, and still no joy. :( Maybe I need to dl the latest AMVapp? Anyone have a link to that?

Return to “Windows Movie Maker”