Can't Right click?

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Can't Right click?

Post by Krisqo » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:30 pm

It's as the title says, every time I right click a file, my computer freezes for about 15-30 seconds and then unfreezes. However, it dosen't register the right click and if I try to again, it freezes again. It just started doing this after I dusted the damn thing, is there any way that might have messed something up?

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Post by Krisqo » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:42 pm

Forgot to add this. I can right click on the desktop and inside running programs. Its when browsing a drive that it freezes. PLUS all my videos are taking ~20 seconds to open.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:05 pm

Might be some kind of issue with the registry? Try running Registry Mechanic, it will fix a lot of issues and perhaps solve this problem too. Note: if you use it for free only some of the problems will be fixed, to fix everything you should actually buy it.
Another cause might be that your drive doesn't have enough empty space. I'd say that if it has less than 1% free space, you should try deleting some unnecessary files.
Hopefully this will help... :)

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Post by Krisqo » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:12 pm

Well... I did one better, I did a system restore and it kinda worked. Now I can sometimes right click and sometime not. Plus Windows takes about 2 mins to load. That 2 mins from the Windows XP flash screen. Then it goes blank for around 30 seconds. Then my desktop background comes up for a little while. THEN explorer runs.

I also noticed that I can't open my thumb drive either. It freezes my computer up. When I go to Task Manager, it says that something called "SysFader" is not responding. Keep in mind this is on a clean redo. I've only installed some apps that I had BEFORE cleaning this damn thing. :?

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:02 am

I think I had something like this happen to me a long time ago. Most likely, it's a context menu (aka. right-click menu) option added via a program install that is misbehaving. A solution is here: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm and another here: http://www.tucows.com/article/1187.

Hope this helps.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

chui101
Org Profile

Re: Can't Right click?

Post by chui101 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:11 am

I've seen this happen on systems with SSDs too... Did you switch to an SSD lately? If so, you will need to disable swapping on the SSD and also possibly switch to an unjournaled filesystem (like FAT32)
Cyber Ninja Productions - http://www.devilsbsd.net

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Re: Can't Right click?

Post by Krisqo » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:41 pm

Necroposting bad.........

Return to “Hardware Discussion”