what codec do I need

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.
Immortal Beloved
Org Profile

what codec do I need

Post by Immortal Beloved » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:40 pm

Ok so I have made my avi through makeavi but when I tried to open it in WMM it says
The file C:\My AMV Stuff\Vampire knight--mpeg2dec--avisource.avi cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again.

so what I was wondering is what codec do I need?

AaronAMV
eating that e. coli spinach
Org Profile

Post by AaronAMV » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:07 pm

Probably DivX or XviD.

AaronAMV
Org Profile

Post by AaronAMV » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:12 pm

Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Post by Autraya » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:39 pm

AaronAMV wrote:Probably DivX or XviD.
Dont make me post the madly flashing banner that says
"DON'T EDIT WITH DIVX/XVID FILES IN WMM"
:?

I suggest you use virtual dubmod to create some lossless avi files to edit with instead. Sure they will be big but they will stop your program from eating your project file in some random "why is this person using these kinda files in me?" way.

There are several threads in the forum (like over 50% of them) that tell you what codecs you should be using and how to make files in those codecs.
Read <a href=http://www.a-m-v.org/guides/avtech31/>ErMaC & AbsoluteDestiny's Friendly AMV Guides</a> will also help you as it talks about preping footage for WMM.
new banzors in the making :p

AaronAMV
Org Profile

Post by AaronAMV » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:41 pm

Autraya wrote:
AaronAMV wrote:Probably DivX or XviD.
Dont make me post the madly flashing banner that says
"DON'T EDIT WITH DIVX/XVID FILES IN WMM"
:?

I suggest you use virtual dubmod to create some lossless avi files to edit with instead. Sure they will be big but they will stop your program from eating your project file in some random "why is this person using these kinda files in me?" way.

There are several threads in the forum (like over 50% of them) that tell you what codecs you should be using and how to make files in those codecs.
Read <a href="http://www.a-m-v.org/guides/avtech/">ErMaC & AbsoluteDestiny's Friendly AMV Guides</a> will also help you as it talks about preping footage for WMM.
Sorry, I just read play the file, so I thought of DivX and XviD first, rather than an editing codec. :oops:
I suppose it was rather dumb of me though, considering I use lagarith. -_-

Return to “Windows Movie Maker”