How to rip PS2 FMV files - Step by Step Guide.

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
AaronAMV
eating that e. coli spinach
Org Profile

Post by AaronAMV » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:16 pm

Hehe...
I'm about to install 3.8. So I could have that, or is there a way to find out the firmware?

sayde
Org Profile

Post by sayde » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:12 pm

don't update your firmware. Just navigate to the psp's system settings. Then scroll down to "system information" and tell me what it says next to "system software".

AaronAMV
eating that e. coli spinach
Org Profile

Post by AaronAMV » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:06 am

Uh...
For some interesting reason it says 3.9. :shock:

sayde
Org Profile

Post by sayde » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:34 am

ok. I sent you a pm. Look out for it.

SenTrix
Org Profile

Re: How to rip PS2 FMV files - Step by Step Guide.

Post by SenTrix » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:48 pm

Awesome guide man. *Hugs*
Image <<..:: Click Me ::..>> Image

Mary_Stewart
Org Profile

Post by Mary_Stewart » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:39 am

Any luck getting ff x-2 to rip mpg files? so far, part's 1 n 2 have nothing.

MaggIvy
Org Profile

Post by MaggIvy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:37 am

Using the guide in the first post should work with Final Fantasy X-2.

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Post by TwilightChrono » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:24 am

Castor Troy wrote:How to rip PS2 FMV/PSS files.

PS2 game FMVs are encoded on the disc as PSS files. Some programs can easily find them but for games like Final Fantasy X and X-2, they are hidden. This guide should help you rip footage that is hidden.

Programs you need:

DVD Decrypter
PSS Plex
The file splitter
Nova software extractor
MF Audio
DVD2AVI

Virtualdub (Divx/Xvid encoding)
Tmpegenc (MPEG encoding)

Step 1: Ripping the PS2 Disc
Put in your PS2 disc into your DVD-ROM/DVD Burner then run DVD Decrypter. Go to "Mode", then "ISO" and choose "Read". Then rip it to your hard drive by choosing "file" > "Decrypt". You should now have a large PS2 game ISO on your hard drive.

Step 2: Splitting the ISO
Open up The File Splitter and under "File to split", choose your PS2 game ISO. Select the folder on your hard drive you want the split files to be for "Folder for pieces". Then under "Size of Pieces", choose "Custom size". Make the custom size 1 GB and then choose "split" to split up the ISO.

Step 3: Extracting the PSS files
Now start up Nova software extractor and under "Files to scan", pres the "Select" button next to it and choose the split ISO files (They should end in a number). Under "Save extracted files to", press the "Select" button next to it to select the directory you want to store the extracted files in. Then under "Formats", choose "MPG". Press "Start" to begin scanning the split ISOs. The scanning process may take a while but it will show you the movies that you can extract from the game. Once the scanning process is done, select each of the mpg files, click on "properties" and change the mpg extension to pss. When you are finished, press "extract" to extract the pss files to your hard drive.

Step 4: Coverting the PSS files to MPEG2
Open up PSS Plex, choose "Demultiplex", then under "Select PSS source file", open up any of your newly made PSS files. Choose the directories you want the save the MPEG2 stream under and then click "start" to save it. Ignore the wav file it creates here because it will be distorted. Your MPEG2 stream should be saved as an m2v file.

Optional step: Getting the sound

Now that you have the footage, you can also get the sound if you want to watch the movie file on your computer. However, if you just want the movie file, then skip over to Step 5.

Start up MFAudio and click "open" and choose the pss file you want to extract the sound from. You can press "play" to see if it's the one you want. Click "save as" to set the directory you want the wav file saved to then click "process to save the wav.

Step 5: Converting the MPEG2 stream to avi
Open up DVD2AVI and select the m2v file then choose "save avi" and choose the codec you want to save it under (huffy preffered" then press ok.

Now you should have a large, yet fully working PS2 avi for video use.

If you want to attach the audio back to the movie, you can use virtualdub. Open the avi in virtualdub, then under "audio" select "wav audio" and the wav you extracted earlier then the audio should be back with the movie. If you want to encode it into mpeg with Tmpegenc, you can load the m2v file for the video stream and the wav for the audio stream. You can encode the movie into whatever you want from this point or use it for a video.

I hope that helps and any other suggestions, changes, comments, etc.. are gladly appreciated.
Can this same method work for PS3 games?
Premiering At Another Anime Con 2012

RealEmotionX
Org Profile

Post by RealEmotionX » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:18 pm

I extracted M2vs from Final Fantasy X2 (NTSC-J), just the copy I had within Reach (I own European, United States, Japanese and Japanese International Releases :D. I <3 that game)

However they all have subtitles overlayed. Its kinda obnoxious. But, I know that this game has a option in it to turn those off and on...So...I am not sure why they are there. I assumed they were somewhere else and wouldn't show up on the video

KiTo~chan
Org Profile

Re:

Post by KiTo~chan » Sun May 03, 2009 1:14 pm

kruemmel wrote:Hey all. I'm quite new to this topic and also quite new to ps2. but i'm such a big fan of ffx and ffx2 that i couldn't hold back ;))

I have some problems like mentioned before, i know this thread is quite outdated, but i don't know where to post at all. I really hope you can help me out there, that would be great.

I've sucessfully extracted all videos with the ffx2mov tool. i also got all the m2v files and the wav files. The only problem i have now is that the videos play quite too fast. (looks like 10 times faster than normal). So i tried to convert it with VirtualDubMod into an normal mpeg or avi file but nothing changed. I read about the avisynth tool but i guess i do not really understand that much from it and i couldn't make it work to convert the m2v in a "normal speed" playing movie.

If anyone could help me out the bring the movie with sound playing in normal speed that would be so great.

best greetings and thanks to all
kruemmel
Yeah, I have the same problem. The weird part is that the vids play just fine in windows media player, just not in Virtual Dub Mod. Does anyone have a good solution?
The infamous Killer Tofu.

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”