Help with rotoscoping

For all help and discussion relating to visual effects in programs that are not already covered in an existing forum, such as Blender, Particle Illusion, etc., along with discussion about effects theories and techniques.

Moderator: Niotex

Help with rotoscoping

Postby Altiryoko » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:23 am

I get how to rotoscope and I get the pen tool but I can't figure out what parts of the clips I have to outline. In some scenes, there are faded out parts that show movement from the past frame. When I want to cut out the backgrounds, do I include those faded parts in my pen tool selection or not?

Pic shown as examples: Do I delete the parts in the circles when I want to delete backgrounds or do I have to keep them?

Altiryoko

Postby Krisqo » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:45 am

I get them all the time. I usually just skip them and the results come out very well.

By skipping, I mean omitting that blended frame. More often then not, only the slightly opaque part is making a movement and by skipping it, you don't lose the main action. If that makes any sense at all.
Krisqo
Cooking Oil

Postby Zarxrax » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:06 pm

Those blended frames are usually from either bad deinterlacing, or a bad source that's full of blends to begin with. Its not really possible to rotoscope frames like that, so yea, just skip them.
Zarxrax

Re: Help with rotoscoping

Postby djinakatarina » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:31 pm

hi Altiryoko.

It has passed almost three years since you posted this question and I assume that you figured out the right answer. I am having a same issue, I have to rotoscope the file which I de interlaced, but in some frames I have both fields visible and I don;t know which one to rotoscope, both, or just the one that is 100% visible. Please can you give me an answer. Thanks!!! Kat
djinakatarina

Re: Help with rotoscoping

Postby YiuKorochko » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:56 am

For rotoscoping, you are much better off with the original source, meaning a BluRay copy. DVD and TV rips have frame-rates converted, thus blurring occurs. Unless strictly intended, Anime won't have blurring unless they're using life-like camera effects like focus or there's incredibly high motion.
YiuKorochko

Return to Visual Effects