Otakon 2008 AMV Contest Results

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Brakus
Org Profile

Re: Otakon 2008 AMV Contest Results

Post by Brakus » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:19 am

I've become very wary of people who make a category-by-category post-contest analysis of what they thought should have won versus what did win, and what they thought of the videos in each category as a whole. It's disheartening to read that "the [action] category was weak overall" when all the finalists worked pretty hard to make it into the contest.

I will admit that I had issues with some of the videos in my category, but mostly minor ones. I was waffling between two choices to pick for my vote in Action (neither choice was my own video), and I went with the video that didn't place in the Top 2. Well, we can't always cast the vote for the eventual winner, but at least over 4000 people over the course of the convention made their choices known to determine the winners. It is good to know that the Top 2 videos were deserving of their wins.

I still am proud of my entry and its presence in the contest.
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Aetre
Org Profile

Post by Aetre » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:41 am

I know people work very hard on these. But they put them in a competition not just for display, but to be judged. Every person who attended got to vote, so in effect every person is a judge. You're free to disagree with my opinion, but I'm coming at it from that point of view.

--Edit: And I stand by the action category being weak overall. Three of the seven videos that made the cut were speed metal songs set to really fast image orgies, and the viewer is left clueless of what's going on. A fourth video tries to solve this by replacing speed metal with speed techno. ...But that doesn't work. It's a very common sort of trap action videos are liable to fall into. The winner in that category didn't fall into it, but did something both original and entertaining, instead. That's why it stood out to me.

SecondChild
Org Profile

Post by SecondChild » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:55 am

Well I didn't expect to win anything, I was happy just to make the cut as a finalist! I did notice that the timing on my vid (Sex and Violence - FLCL/Firewater) seemed to be lagging by almost a full 16th note (this is not the case in the video I exported), I don't know if that happened because I encoded in Quicktime and it was then re-encoded upon reaching Otakon or what... does anyone know the best format to submit in? This was my first time. =0

Anyway, I was totally O.K. with Baccano Swing! winning in the Action category, even I voted for it. =0

I thought Break the Chain was brilliant, but I must admit, I voted for "One Guitar". I hate hate HATE 80's hair metal, so any video that can make me like a Foreigner song is frikking AWESOME. xD

Gratz to all! Gendo as Leonidas was awesome... is there an official thread on what happened concerning the trailers (I can guess the general idea, but does anyone know exactly what happened)?

Final note: I totally voted for "Shoes". LOL.
"Take the mask off from your head/You don't know where you're being lead."

- Aaron B. (TSC)

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:43 pm

Aetre wrote:I know people work very hard on these. But they put them in a competition not just for display, but to be judged. Every person who attended got to vote, so in effect every person is a judge. You're free to disagree with my opinion, but I'm coming at it from that point of view.
I never said I disagreed with you; in fact, "Baccano Swing!" was one of the two videos I debated on voting for. Again, I'm happy that it won. It was very deserving.
--Edit: And I stand by the action category being weak overall. Three of the seven videos that made the cut were speed metal songs set to really fast image orgies, and the viewer is left clueless of what's going on. A fourth video tries to solve this by replacing speed metal with speed techno. ...But that doesn't work. It's a very common sort of trap action videos are liable to fall into.
That is a problem with a good number of action videos. I made my video such that even someone who doesn't even like DBZ can pick up on the story I told. I was amazed that no one did the song/anime combination yet (according to the .org).
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

milkmandan
Org Profile

Post by milkmandan » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:30 pm

Ryvannis wrote:Damn Harassment of Kyon is just killng the competition this is like the 4th Best of Show I've seen posted so far.
Guess Haruhi is a winner when it comes to well made AMVs.
more like Yaoi.
yaoi being the strong point here...haruhi second? :\
Image Image

milkmandan
Org Profile

Post by milkmandan » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:35 pm

Aetre wrote:I know people work very hard on these. But they put them in a competition not just for display, but to be judged. Every person who attended got to vote, so in effect every person is a judge. You're free to disagree with my opinion, but I'm coming at it from that point of view.

--Edit: And I stand by the action category being weak overall. Three of the seven videos that made the cut were speed metal songs set to really fast image orgies, and the viewer is left clueless of what's going on. A fourth video tries to solve this by replacing speed metal with speed techno. ...But that doesn't work. It's a very common sort of trap action videos are liable to fall into. The winner in that category didn't fall into it, but did something both original and entertaining, instead. That's why it stood out to me.
and for that reason ;) Baccano Swing also won my hosted category "Out on a Limb" category at Anime Expo 2008 AMV Contest. It was truly original :)
Image Image

Aetre
Org Profile

Post by Aetre » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:13 pm

Brakus wrote:I made my video such that even someone who doesn't even like DBZ can pick up on the story I told. I was amazed that no one did the song/anime combination yet (according to the .org).
Ah, yes, the DBZ video. Hoobastank, right? Heh, that one was actually quite good, I thought.

HurQlez03
Org Profile

Post by HurQlez03 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:21 pm

Any chance we show some levity for the trailer AMVs that were halted by the lawyers of Otakon?

Maybe a-m-v.org can do a contest like the VCAs for those trailers and everyone here can vote.

Immorrel
Org Profile

Post by Immorrel » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:58 pm

Aetre wrote:
Brakus wrote:I made my video such that even someone who doesn't even like DBZ can pick up on the story I told. I was amazed that no one did the song/anime combination yet (according to the .org).
Ah, yes, the DBZ video. Hoobastank, right? Heh, that one was actually quite good, I thought.
I agree. It was kinda funny seeing a DBZ AMV after not having watched one in forever but it was a pleasant surprise and I was glad to see that it made finals because it deserved it.

NightMistress85
Org Profile

Post by NightMistress85 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:04 pm

It's funny, because at least at the Friday showing, when people saw DBZ, there were a bunch of "awww man!" comments. But me and my friends that went to the pre-screening told them "No, it's good, we promise!" And then it got some really nice cheers after, specifically from the people in our section who were originally apprehensive :P .

Return to “AMV Contests”