Otakon 2008 AMV Contest Results

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
wurpess
rabid fangirl
Org Profile

Post by wurpess » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:49 pm

NightMistress85 wrote:
wurpess wrote:Congrats to all the winners!! I thought this year's contest was better than last year's. (Last year, I didn't really have much trouble picking a vid for each category, but this year, it was really tough. :P) Anyway, time to start dl-ing! *^_^*
Ditto. I remember only a handful from last year but this year...it was really tough and could have gone either way. I have a number of vids collected already, but now I want a few more that have yet to be uploaded.
Guess I should probably upload mine. >.>
ImageImage

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:41 pm

Congratulations to all the 1st and 2nd place winners! :) And hey, most of the rest of us did pretty well, I'd hope.

The contest as a whole was miles better than the contests for the last three years or so. I enjoyed watching the contest immensely.

I liked how my entry kinda "stuck out" amongst the other entries in my video, with the sharp contrast of one "old-school anime" video going up against six relatively newer school anime videos. Afro Samurai, Baccano!, Code Geass, Gundam 00, Appleseed, FLCL.... and then DBZ? Yep, the eyes did not deceive! I'll be honest, I was a "logical contender" in the contest, but I voted for a stronger video. Too bad that video didn't finish first or second either. I'm guessing the voting among the top 3 or 4 videos in Action was pretty closely knit? I really thought the winner would have been one of four possibilities, and it was an interesting race to say the least. I am truly honored to have been a finalist; I am humbled by the two videos that won in my category. A good contest.

I had very few issues with videos belonging in the right category and such... pretty much every video belonged in its proper category. Venue was great, no echo-y sound from a very large show room, very healthy turnout for all showings (even on Sunday!). Aside from the hiccup with the Trailer/Parody situation, this contest went off extremely well. Vic, kudos for a job well done. Same to Jeff Heller for his open - a job very well done.
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

jubjub2
Org Profile

Post by jubjub2 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:04 pm

Wow. Congrats to all! :D

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:58 pm

jubjub2 wrote:Wow. Congrats to all! :D
Jubs, I was there for both Friday's and Saturday's showings of your vid and it got by FAR the best reaction.

I voted for it :up:
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Scoob
Org Profile

Post by Scoob » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:37 am

:shock:

Congrats to all :)
ImageImage
ImageImage

Ryvannis
Org Profile

Post by Ryvannis » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:22 am

Damn Harassment of Kyon is just killng the competition this is like the 4th Best of Show I've seen posted so far.
Guess Haruhi is a winner when it comes to well made AMVs.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:36 am

Brakus wrote:Vic <b>and Alan</b>, kudos for a job well done.
Fixed. :P
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Dragon/Roy
Org Profile

Post by Dragon/Roy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:29 am

Congrats to all!!!

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:32 am

Ryvannis wrote:Damn Harassment of Kyon is just killng the competition this is like the 4th Best of Show I've seen posted so far.
Guess making straight characters look gay is a winner when it comes to well made AMVs.
Fixed that for you. :P
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

Aetre
Org Profile

Re: Otakon 2008 AMV Contest Results

Post by Aetre » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:51 am

VicBond007 wrote:Dramatic/Serious
--------------------
2nd Place
Meredith "Meri" Cantoni - One Guitar

1st Place
I strongly disagree with this pick--this is the only category where I really don't like the AMV that won. The 2nd place choice was a surprisingly good video, but there was an even better Princess Tutu video in this category that should have won it, in my humble opinion. I really think the winner won only because of the popularity of Death Note and for no other reason whatsoever. Not that it was a bad AMV; but it wasn't as good as the competition--not by a long shot.
This category was weak overall, but the winner stood out from the crowd in a very good way. I loved that video, and the fact that it was done to an irregular beat made it not only well executed technically but original, too. Earned my vote easily.
Romance/Sentimental
-------------------------
2nd Place

1st Place
I voted for the one that got second place, but I could see how the other would win. This category was close, and a lot stronger than expected. Congrats to the winner.
Upbeat/Dance
----------------
2nd Place
Lawrence Studios - Fast Times at Furinkan High

1st Place
Voted for the winner here. One of the best uses of putting words on the screen to the music I've ever seen. And the clips are perfectly selected. The second place choice was very good, too, but I thought it cheated by using Family Guy footage, so the second place is appropriate, in my opinion.
Comedy
---------
2nd Place
SSGWNBTD - I Had Sexual Intercourse While Making This Video

1st Place
Voted for the winner again. THIS is how a yaoi parody should be done. Perfect.
Best in Show
---------------

Almost Best in Show
------------------------
Well deserved, both.

So let's see... I'm 4-for-6 this year, with one second place. Not bad. :)

I do think in general the cut was stronger this year than last. And also, for the record, I wish the trailer/parody category could have stayed. A shame it couldn't, but such is life, I guess.

Return to “AMV Contests”