Simple tech External Hard drive problem

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:19 pm

next time use a pair of underwear or something and throw it at the dog. not really helpfull huh? lol... well do you use any extra software to read the drive?? probably not huh? maybe if you fiddle with the cord while it's inside... and pray REAL HARD. spit on it. can't help, but it sure can be fun.

LivingFlame
Org Profile

Post by LivingFlame » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:36 pm

AaronAMV wrote: Yeah, it was yanked out of the drive. >_<The>_>
I think you forgot to finish whatever thought you were about to put there at the end.

Anyway, it may be screwy pins, but it also may be that something came loose inside the enclosure. It's hard to tell without me being able to actually mess with it. If the drive did happen to fall though, then I would be worried that it wouldn't just be a problem with the port.
... yea ...

AaronAMV
eating that e. coli spinach
Org Profile

Post by AaronAMV » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:13 am

LivingFlame wrote:
AaronAMV wrote: Yeah, it was yanked out of the drive. >_<The>_>
I think you forgot to finish whatever thought you were about to put there at the end.

Anyway, it may be screwy pins, but it also may be that something came loose inside the enclosure. It's hard to tell without me being able to actually mess with it. If the drive did happen to fall though, then I would be worried that it wouldn't just be a problem with the port.
I don't even remember typing the "The >_>" |:

Gahhh... What are the chances of me losing everything that's on the drive? :cry:

AaronAMV
Org Profile

Post by AaronAMV » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:15 am

Oh, and the drive fell less than a foot... Could that really mess with it that badly?

LivingFlame
Org Profile

Post by LivingFlame » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:41 am

Technically, it could potentially damage something in the drive (platters, heads, etc.) if it was enough of a jolt, but since you can feel the drive spinning up and it's not making any weird sounds (at least none that you've mentioned), there is certainly still plenty of hope that it can all be salvaged.
... yea ...

LivingFlame
Org Profile

Post by LivingFlame » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:43 am

Sorry for the double post.

I figured I'd add in that, if worse comes to worst, then you can always try pulling the drive out of the enclosure and connecting it to the computer internally. If you don't know how to do that, then find someone that does.

Again, that's the last resort.
... yea ...

AaronAMV
Org Profile

Post by AaronAMV » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:00 am

O__O
I didn't even know that was possible... |:
I thought the only thing you could add for laptops was ram... rofl
Okay, well thanks for doing what you can and helping me. I appreciate it. (:

LivingFlame
Org Profile

Post by LivingFlame » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:04 pm

Well, if you were going to install it internally, it would have to be on a desktop PC. I highly doubt an external enclosure is using a laptop form-factor drive. You would only be doing this to salvage the files and probably move them to a new external drive anyway.

There's also the possibility that an IDE or SATA cable (whichever this drive happens to be using) came loose inside the enclosure, actually. You may eventually have to open it up anyway.
... yea ...

AaronAMV
Org Profile

Post by AaronAMV » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:19 pm

Ohhh, I didn't think it was possible to move it to a laptop... In that case, I'm screwed... >_> I don't got a working desktop in my house....

AaronAMV
Org Profile

Post by AaronAMV » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:47 pm

Well... So my mom's tech guy at works thinks it's the case, because all it does it turn on for a second when I turn the power on, but that's all. So Frys sells external hard drive cases, so I'm gonna go and switch them out tomorrow. Hopefully it'll work. :cry:

Return to “Hardware Discussion”