Simple tech External Hard drive problem

AaronAMV
eating that e. coli spinach
Org Profile

Simple tech External Hard drive problem

Post by AaronAMV » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:35 am

So I was sitting at my desk, with my external plugged in when my dog goes to wake my brother up. I got her to stop, but while I was walking over there, I pulled out the USB part of the External. I figured it stopped working because it was pulled out. I went to go plug it back in, and now it's not being recognized or something along the lines of that. When I turn it on and plug it into my computer, I feel the gears(?) moving inside the external, but the blue oval thing isn't going blue, I guess.
If you need a link...
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/4 ... ninfarina/
I got it on sale for 90. ;D

But yeah, I have 400 gigs of it filled up with anime... And I have a lot of upcoming AMVs I wanna finish, along with about 4 different MEP tracks...

AaronAMV
Org Profile

Post by AaronAMV » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:03 pm

I've tried restarting my computer while it's plugged in(what my friend told me to do), I tried going into my device manager... I put the plug in another electrical socket and it turns on for like a second, then nothing happens...

LivingFlame
Org Profile

Post by LivingFlame » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:33 pm

Have you tried a) plugging it in to a different port, or b) using a different cable? One or other (or both) might have been damaged when the cable got yanked out.
... yea ...

AaronAMV
Org Profile

Post by AaronAMV » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:40 pm

LivingFlame wrote:Have you tried a) plugging it in to a different port, or b) using a different cable? One or other (or both) might have been damaged when the cable got yanked out.
I just talked to my dad's tech guy at work, and he said that any cable with the same size would work, so I tried my printer cable, and it's still not working. So then he said that some of the pins were probably knocked out of place when the USB was yanked... So I need to take it in... >_<
Hopefully they can fix it. Have you guys ever even heard of the pins being out of place?

LivingFlame
Org Profile

Post by LivingFlame » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:54 pm

Yes, the pins can get bent out of shape. Again, though, do you have another open port you can try? If the problem is with the pins in that port, then a different port should work.
... yea ...

AaronAMV
Org Profile

Post by AaronAMV » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:05 pm

I tried a different port. =/

LivingFlame
Org Profile

Post by LivingFlame » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:14 pm

Then unless you either a) damaged the external drive or b) destroyed multiple ports at once (by damaging an entire PCI card or something), I wouldn't necessarily suspect the pins. It could be, but the fact that no port is working makes me doubt it a bit.

I'd suggest trying to plug the drive in to a different computer to make sure that it is, in fact, in working order.
... yea ...

AaronAMV
Org Profile

Post by AaronAMV » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:28 pm

I also tried that... ):

LivingFlame
Org Profile

Post by LivingFlame » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:38 pm

And it didn't work in another computer? The problem definitely lies with the drive itself then. Did the cable get yanked out of the drive or the computer? I'm guessing I slightly misunderstood this and it got yanked out of the drive. (I was under the impression it got yanked out of the computer.) Does the blue ring usually only light up when the drive is reading/writing?
... yea ...

AaronAMV
Org Profile

Post by AaronAMV » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:44 pm

LivingFlame wrote:And it didn't work in another computer? The problem definitely lies with the drive itself then. Did the cable get yanked out of the drive or the computer? I'm guessing I slightly misunderstood this and it got yanked out of the drive. (I was under the impression it got yanked out of the computer.) Does the blue ring usually only light up when the drive is reading/writing?
Yeah, it was yanked out of the drive. >_<The>_>

Return to “Hardware Discussion”