Quick Question

EffectLessMind
Org Profile

Quick Question

Post by EffectLessMind » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:42 pm

so my computers all virused up and is in need of a hard drive wipe since i dont need most of whats on it im not backing everything up. I was just wondering if I was to copy certain program files such as avi synic vertual dub mod codects ect onto my external hard drive and then put them back after clearing my other harddrives would the programs still be in working order? or should i just redownload them?

AaronAMV
eating that e. coli spinach
Org Profile

Post by AaronAMV » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:48 pm

I did this once when I was trading in my laptop for my current one. It won't work if just put the programs on there. You need to just put the setup files for the programs.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:50 pm

do you mean copy the installation files? or copy the folders of the installed programs and then copy them back in hopes that they would work?

i think the former shouldn't be a problem since you would just end up reinstalling after the wipe, but the latter, I'm no expert but I'm don't believe that would work right.

EffectLessMind
Org Profile

Post by EffectLessMind » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:16 pm

Some of the programs come with instalation files some dont so i suppose i will have to spend some time tomorrow reinstalling abd downloading thanks for the reply both of you.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:27 pm

if your system is infected by any decent viruses, keeping any files at all is just asking for trouble. They spread and infect all sorts of files you know...
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:03 pm

pretty much the programs you are describing can be found in the AMVAPP and in CCCP so I'd probably just redownload them after the reformat.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”