2008 Logo Contest - FINAL Voting [closed]

Hinatasan
Org Profile

Post by Hinatasan » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:49 pm

jasper-isis wrote:Sorry for the delay! We'll get the winner up as soon as I can get Illustrator reinstalled...
But you can say the winner no ? please please please ?

leahzero
Org Profile

Post by leahzero » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:21 pm

Hinatasan wrote:This logo really....is not original....I see it in some place....with other design and
the other logo , is more modern, more aggressive, like an explosion of what a-m-v.org represents.

Ah ! and is not my logo, I participe with 2 logos and didn't win.
I'm not going to retaliate and rip apart your current logo, which I don't care for.

But I think you're way off the mark saying that the 3D logo is "not original," while the paint splatter one is.

What is not original about the 3D logo? Where have you "seen it before?" Perhaps on my deviantART account, with the other 3D logos I've made? :roll:

Yet you say the paint splatter logo is original and is more "modern" and "aggressive." I find this description far off base. Do a Google image search for splatter logo or ink logo and you will see the exact same design pop up on the first page of results. (Also try the same searches at deviantART; same results.)

Can you find very similar results for the 3D logo? If you can, please show me, and describe how you found them or where they are used. I design logos as part of my job as a graphic designer, and to my knowledge the urban 3D style I use isn't very common.

I think the splatter logo was a decent if cliché idea, but the way it's executed is too busy and off-balance. It doesn't sit well in the site header. As for modern, do you remember Jackson Pollock and Andy Warhol? You know that paint splatters were already done long before them? :lol: I also think the hues chosen were not the best match. If the teal-ish color had instead matched the deep orange of the border of the site header, and there was less black in the whole design, it may have fit better.

I also don't understand concerns about not being able to work with the 3D logo in banners (if it even wins; this point may be moot and it's a little weird that you're being so hostile before the winner is even announced). It's simple enough to desaturate or recolor. It may not fit thematically with very romantic- or historic-themed banners, but then, the current logo doesn't fit very well with modern-, action-, or comedic-themed banners. I don't think the banners should dictate logo choice. Your banner should fit the logo, not the other way around. The logo represents the site/community/hobby as a whole, not someone's specific tastes or banner ideas.

Anyway, calm down, you sound like you're going to give yourself apoplexy.

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:42 pm

leahzero wrote:Anyway, calm down, you sound like you're going to give yourself apoplexy.
You know...I told myself I wouldn't do this, but ignoring outrageous rudeness, unprofessional behavior and bad attitude is just not in my genes. Please follow your own advice. At the very least, if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.

I am making a courteous suggestion at the moment, and if you feel the need launch a personal attack in response, then do everyone a favor keep it private.

NS
I like pants
Org Profile

Post by NS » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:43 pm

I wanna know what apoplexy is personally :3

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:25 pm

I didn't want to say anything, but now that the winner has been chosen, I guess I can: my vote was a fairly obvious choice to me, but then I saw all the talk on this thread promoting the other options, and I felt the final vote would be a lot closer than I'd anticipated.
The transparency would have been cool for banners, but oh well. And by the way, where's the domain name in the winning logo?

Oh, and congratulations!
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

leahzero
Org Profile

Post by leahzero » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:37 pm

DriftRoot wrote:At the very least, if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.
That is usually my approach and what I expected of others, but the way discussion progressed during this contest showed me that it's not how things operate around here anymore. People blurted out baseless negative comments which were offensive to all participants, yourself included, and were not held accountable. How do you combat an atmosphere of negativity in a forum? Making fun of those who cause it is one of the few effective measures. Mods on busy forums tend to avoid nebulous "judgment call" complaints, leaving the community to police itself in terms of what is and isn't socially acceptable. Certain posters on this board speak out against stupidity when they see it, and I see nothing more egregious in my posts than in a typical godix post.

In fact, my reply to Hinatasan was far milder and more explanatory than her posts. Did you note her repeated use of the word "horrible?" If you took offense because my reply included a critique of your logo, that is a separate issue. I hope also that the disagreement we had recently is not a factor here. I find it bizarre that you singled out my silly, deliberately pretentious jibe at her while she tosses out terms like "horrible." I get the impression that you are rebuking me for more than my posts here, and using this as an opportune way to express censure.

Also, please consider how counter-productive and irritating it is to call someone out as you did to me here, then advise them to confine their replies to private channels. If you truly wished to just douse the flames, your "suggestion" should have been sent privately to me, or to a moderator to handle the situation for you. You chose to state it publically, so I'm replying publically. However, I don't foresee anything productive coming out of continuing this discussion, so I will refrain from posting here further. Congratulations on your win.

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:49 pm

Thanks, and congratulations on your logo also being a finalist, it deserved to be there.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:27 pm

leahzero, yea pick on the person who's English isn't exactly fluent... good job...

As for behaviors, would you treat a client the way you treated people on this thread?
Would you berate their intelligence and insult their being too? or is the difference the fact that a "real" client would be paying you...

Surprisingly you actually cost yourself at least one vote due to your behavior, cause I had a feeling the 3D one was yours and purposefully didn't vote for it because of that feeling...

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:15 pm

Grats, DriftRoot!

I didn't vote your logo, but it's very nice and I hope to see many great banners and T-shirts with your logo on it! ;+)

Return to “Site Announcements”