WMM for Vista Importing problem - codec?

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.
pinky75910
Org Profile

Post by pinky75910 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:35 am

JaddziaDax wrote:you could click the link in my post... it goes to a list of editable codecs.
Thank you for your help, I'll give it a try.

btw - anyone have any idea why when I try to post a message through aol, I get "Invalid Session. Please resubimit the form." ?
Making an amv, is rather like being the director of a Broadway show, where you have a million dancers and each of them only knows one step.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=50239

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:44 am

sounds like it's not holding your cookie? sign in and click the checkbox to remain signed in perhaps?

SenTrix
Org Profile

Post by SenTrix » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:29 pm

What he means by its a "sin" is that if you use DivX, it wont work specially if you use Sony Vegas Pro. Or you can use DivX for Codecs and cut the scenes which you want in VirtualDub and but use Lagarith for compression for your clips, thats what I do sometimes.

The Origonal Head Hunter
The Propheteer
Org Profile

Post by The Origonal Head Hunter » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:45 pm

Sentrix wrote:What she means by its a "sin" is that if you use DivX, it wont work specially if you use Sony Vegas Pro.
Or any other NLE.
RonnieDaking wrote:i like my anime like I like my women, from japan and speaking english
Boredom.

pinky75910
Org Profile

Post by pinky75910 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:40 pm

I don't have Sony Vegas Pro,and I don't know what an NLE is. If I wanted something snazzy and complicated, I wouldn't be using WMM. I have a friend who got a new comp who is having the identical problem.
Making an amv, is rather like being the director of a Broadway show, where you have a million dancers and each of them only knows one step.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:01 pm

NLE = non-linear editor
which is really anything where you can work on any part of your video at a given time (vs having to place clips at the frame right after your previous clip ends)

And your problem is Xvid, just get it over with and convert your clips already.
This problem has happened to many other people (a forum search for "avi problem" should turn up hundreds of similar threads)

Editing with divx or xvid footage may work for a while, but it will eventually stop working.

Divx and Xvid (and anything like x.264) are meant for distributing video, not editing it.

Editing with Divx and Xvid footage is prone to many problems, like black video or not being able to open your video files or crashing your editing program.

The problem is in how codecs like xvid and divx work.
Some frames (I-frames or keyframes) contain all the information for that frame
Other frames (B-frames and P-frames) only contain a portion of the video information.
If you don't have any keyframes in a clip, you won't be able to see the p or b frames (which make up a vast majority of the video.)

pinky75910
Org Profile

Post by pinky75910 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:08 pm

I've used nothing but divx and it's given me no reason to doubt it. At any rate, I don't care what program or codec or whatever I use, all I want to do is get WMM to recognize my files without having to go through a crazy amount of hoops. And I don't anything about frames mentioned in your last paragraph.

I have read the guides, but it has not provided a solution to my problem. I find it insulting that people keep referring me there to a page listed as "How do I make a video" when I've already made several.

Just tried some trouble-shooting and I get this error message.

(Filename.avi) could not be imported. The required codec was not downloaded automatically because the Download codecs automatically check box is not selected in the Options Dialog box.

I went to Tools > Options but do not see such an option.

pinky75910
Org Profile

Post by pinky75910 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:09 pm

I've used nothing but divx and it's given me no reason to doubt it. At any rate, I don't care what program or codec or whatever I use, all I want to do is get WMM to recognize my files without having to go through a crazy amount of hoops. And I don't anything about frames mentioned in your last paragraph.

I have read the guides, but it has not provided a solution to my problem. I find it insulting that people keep referring me there to a page listed as "How do I make a video" when I've already made several.

Just tried some trouble-shooting and I get this error message.

(Filename.avi) could not be imported. The required codec was not downloaded automatically because the Download codecs automatically check box is not selected in the Options Dialog box.

I went to Tools > Options but do not see such an option.

The Origonal Head Hunter
The Propheteer
Org Profile

Post by The Origonal Head Hunter » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:13 pm

pinky75910 wrote:I've used nothing but divx and it's given me no reason to doubt it.
Sigfried and Roy had no reason to doubt their tiger.
If you really want to get it to recognize your files again, then just buck up and convert your files to something lossless with VirtualDubMod. It's not that complicated, and all it'll take is time and a little more HD space.
RonnieDaking wrote:i like my anime like I like my women, from japan and speaking english
Boredom.

pinky75910
Org Profile

Post by pinky75910 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:26 pm

The Origonal Head Hunter wrote:
pinky75910 wrote:I've used nothing but divx and it's given me no reason to doubt it.
Sigfried and Roy had no reason to doubt their tiger.
If you really want to get it to recognize your files again, then just buck up and convert your files to something lossless with VirtualDubMod. It's not that complicated, and all it'll take is time and a little more HD space.
I'd like to keep that as a last option. I've been editing for *years.* Is there any way to go back to divx or any simple codec for the short term as a possibility? I have tried using all these crazy programs before, I couldn't get it to work and it just slowed everything down, so I went back to divx, it was easier. it's not like I have a ton of space.

Return to “Windows Movie Maker”