Eating at Otakon

Convention Meetups, Socials, and Events
Forum rules
If posting about a specific convention, please mention the year along with its name in the title.
Immorrel
Org Profile

Eating at Otakon

Post by Immorrel » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:24 pm

Since no one seems to want to start this, I might as well do it.

From what's been said in the Otakon thread, there seems to be a couple different ideas for eating arrangements during the con. The one that I've always been aware of was the get together that usually happens on Thursday during the pre-registration. The other one was brought up by Dwchang, that being lunch on Saturday after the AMV panel.

That all being said, I'm willing to take charge of the Thursday afternoon fun. If someone wants to organize something else, feel free to post in here and we'll see if we can't get all of us silly AMV people fed during Otakon.

Parodic Productions
Org Profile

Post by Parodic Productions » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:03 pm

Well, as it usually works out for the Thursday night dinner, we generally meet up at an arranged time at the proposed meeting place after we all get our preregistration tickets, say...6 or 7. It's all really pending upon how fast everyone gets their tickets.

As for Saturday, it usually depends on the amv panel being run, after which we get together and decide on where to eat from there. Two years ago, it was this one place down by the Inner Harbor that's closed down now, and last year, I proposed an Asian buffet place in the Bank of America building. Keep in mind, there may have been several other Amv panels happening last year, so there may have been some confusion from some people.

I also want to point out that last year's dinner was a tad fubar; the people at Uno's gave away our table to another group who thought they were us. So, we're probably going to need a better plan, say register under a single person's name instead of a group name. But before that can be done, we need to know exactly how many people are willing to show up for the dinner. I'm fairly certain I'll be there though.

NightMistress85
Org Profile

Post by NightMistress85 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:42 am

Thursday seems the best to be for when I'm sure to be available, but I'll ask my friends as well if they'd want to go. :)

Immorrel
Org Profile

Post by Immorrel » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:30 am

As I said originally, I'll happily ride herd on the Thursday ordeal. I'm thinking that Uno's @ 7:00 pm would work out best, but I'll wait for the official word on when pre-registration will open before I call to make any reservations. So with that proviso, who feels like showing up for the fun so I can start getting numbers in order.

Immorrel
Org Profile

Post by Immorrel » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:24 pm

Since Pre-reg officially starts at 5:00 pm, I think 7:00 pm is a good time to try and start this dinner thing. That being said, who's planning on showing up for this fun, so I can start getting numbers in order for a reservation.

Parodic Productions
Org Profile

Post by Parodic Productions » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:30 pm

I'm game. If you need any help, say registering tables, let me know.

Also, quick question, are we all in on Uno's this year? Because there are several other restaurants around the Harbor area. If anyone is interested in someplace else, I can come up with a list of restaurants. I've got no problems with Uno's, just wondering what anyone else thinks.

NightMistress85
Org Profile

Post by NightMistress85 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:42 pm

Parodic Productions wrote:I'm game. If you need any help, say registering tables, let me know.

Also, quick question, are we all in on Uno's this year? Because there are several other restaurants around the Harbor area. If anyone is interested in someplace else, I can come up with a list of restaurants. I've got no problems with Uno's, just wondering what anyone else thinks.
Is there a place with sake and happy hour? 7pm is still happy hour-ish right?

Immorrel
Org Profile

Post by Immorrel » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:43 pm

Not sure about sake or happy hour, but there are quite a few choices in restaurant in the area. I picked Uno's mostly out of tradition, but there is always other choices. I can think of Cheesecake Factory and ESPN Zone off the top of my head. Good eats at the Cheesecake Factory, but more likely to catch a happy hour at ESPN Zone. I'll officially put in a reservation on Tuesday, and hopefully I'll have a good count at that point. I'm sure they'll let me fudge numbers if more people want to show up, but I'd rather know for sure who's coming before the day of.

Parodic Productions
Org Profile

Post by Parodic Productions » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:12 pm

Well, there's Edo Sushi, they usually have good Japanese beer and that special soda. Tir Na Nog has some Irish cuisines some people could enjoy. And, across the street from the Harbor, there's M & S Grill, serving steak and seafood. Just some options.

NightMistress85
Org Profile

Post by NightMistress85 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:54 pm

This all sounds delish! I went to Tir Na Nog a couple of years ago. I didn't enjoy it much :? . Is Edo Sushi a large restaurant? I'd imagine it'd be particularly packed. I ate at the bar at Cheesecake Factory last year and that was decent. A little on the pricier side though.

Return to “Anime Conventions”