WMM for Vista Importing problem - codec?

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.
pinky75910
Org Profile

Post by pinky75910 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:58 pm

I already have video ready to go, just when I import it into WMM, it reads as an audio file instead of a video file. Should I just dl whatever avi codecs I find and hope for the best?
Making an amv, is rather like being the director of a Broadway show, where you have a million dancers and each of them only knows one step.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=50239

SenTrix
Org Profile

Post by SenTrix » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:46 am

Dont that would be just wasting your time. Try googling " Vista Codecs " I use this codecs and it work wonders most of the time. But you will be able to export avi. files from that codec, I dont use WMM now but yeah that should be able to work in my opinion

pinky75910
Org Profile

Post by pinky75910 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:43 am

Sentrix wrote:Dont that would be just wasting your time. Try googling " Vista Codecs " I use this codecs and it work wonders most of the time. But you will be able to export avi. files from that codec, I dont use WMM now but yeah that should be able to work in my opinion
THanks, I'll give it a shot. I'm always a lil leery of searching the net for application downloads.
Making an amv, is rather like being the director of a Broadway show, where you have a million dancers and each of them only knows one step.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:55 pm

from the divx_editing page:

Here are some formats which are fine to edit with:

* Uncompressed (file sizes can be very large, though)
* Huffyuv (smaller than uncompressed, but still huge)
* Lagarith (smaller still than HuffYUV, but is slower)
* DV (this format will introduce some slight quality loss into your video, and also has some restrictions on resolution and framerate)
* M-JPEG (depending on the quality level you set, it can be large, and can introduce slight to significant quality loss, however it is very fast)
* AVISynth (doesn't involve making a large file, but can be slow and is not supported well by all editing software)

[and a little further down the page]

More Complex Way

If your video is in AVI format, and you have the appropriate Video for Windows codec (true if you can open the file in VirtualDub without error), you can serve it via an AVISynth script with the following line:

AVISource("C:\mypath\myvideo.avi")

(replacing the path and filename as appropriate, of course).

If the file is not an AVI file, or if the above line doesn't work, then you can try the following line:

DirectShowSource("C:\mypath\myvideo.avi")

Once you have the file loaded through AVISynth, you can either load it directly into your editing program (if it supports AVISynth scripts), or you can load it into VirtualDub where you can encode it into another codec such as Huffyuv or Lagarith.

SenTrix
Org Profile

Post by SenTrix » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:17 am

And if you cant find the vista codecs try googling DivX, thats very useful aswell

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:48 am

or you know just:

(click tis a link aka what Kariudo said)

pinky75910
Org Profile

Post by pinky75910 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:51 am

Is it such a sin to use Divx video? I've used it for years no problem, everyone I know uses it. I'm just looking for a quick simple solution to get back to the way I was doing things, I don't wanna go dling a bunch of new programs I don't know about and have to convert everyone of my files which should work already.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:17 am

if it's buggy and doesn't work in your editing program... then yes, it is a "sin"... because the gist of it is that DIVX/XVID are not made for editing, where as there are plenty of other codecs that ARE made for editing.

DIVX and XVID are buggy, just because they work one day, it doesn't mean that they will work another day. Not to mention they can cause timing issues, particles, they are lossy, and have a whole buttload of other technical problems when it comes to editing with them.

pinky75910
Org Profile

Post by pinky75910 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:20 am

-_- But it *does* work! It just doesn't work *now* because I just reloaded it. I've never had trouble with it, but if you have codecs that'll work I'm open to suggestions. Do I have to google special Vista only codecs? I'm not a pro, I'll take what I can get at this point.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:29 am

you could click the link in my post... it goes to a list of editable codecs.

Return to “Windows Movie Maker”