AMV Salad 3: next stop - NekoCon 12...

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
Squancho
Org Profile

AMV Salad 3: next stop - NekoCon 12...

Post by Squancho » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:26 am

The first AMV Salad had a good year on the 2007-08 convention "tour."

AMV Salad 2: the Second Serving is making the rounds for the coming year starting with Otakon 15.

The "tour" schedule for this series will remain as follows.
* One video per year.
* Each video will premiere at Otakon.
* The regular venues which will host panels, barring any changes, include NekoCon, Katsucon, TekkoshoCon, and AMA. The list will likely expand with the addition of conventions which will place the Salads on their viewing schedules.

Last call / initial deadline: passed
Post-production: done!
mp4 Download available: June 23
Otakon submission deadline: Made

Sorry you missed the boat this time, but AMV Salad 4 (theme TBA) will begin accepting submissions July 20, 2009 - the Monday after Otakon. Watch for the thread on the MEP forums to open soon.

FINAL LIST OF COLLABORATORS
( :D - material submitted / received)
deuceloosely (duh :P)
=DarKNesS= :D
Dezbo21 :D
Gaelstrom :D
skyedream75 :D
krvabo :D
KojiroShinkara :D
thundercatlord :D
sakuraslight :D
maru-sha :D
InspZenigata :D
RanMouri82 :D
(If I forgot anyone, please correct me on this)

The "rules":
* 1. HAVE FUN! BE CREATIVE! Most of all, BE FUNNY!
* 2. All entries must be no longer than 45 seconds in length.
* 3. Your video must meet the standards required for being uploaded to a-m-v.org. Video source must be anime. No extreme graphic violence, nudity, or sexual content. The "PG-13" standard is in effect here.
(NOTE: let's please try to not come TOO close to the line for this year's Salad..?)
* 4. If you are skilled enough to place moving anime characters on a live-action background (see AMV Hell 3 for examples), this is acceptable. On the same note, using real-life images within your clips (see "Something Fishy" by JaddziaDax) is also okay. Just don't let it overwhelm your production.
* 5. You can submit as many entries as you like, provided they are all different. Do not submit multiple entries that only have slight variations from each other.
* 6. Please refrain from publishing your clips to Yoo Toobe or other such public video web sites until after the project premieres at the next Otakon (2009 in this case). We kind of want to keep the contents of the final edit a surprise.
* 7. EVERYONE who enters this project will have at least one entry in the final compilation. The catch is you don't want to turn in just one entry and have it be a mediocre video among the other great submissions. Show us your best effort.
* 8. No no NO SUBTITLES! The only exception to this rule is if you inserted your own as a means of parody or left a line in to further express the point of your video. Just make sure that whatever subtitles you leave in run with the context of the sound source somehow.
* 9. NO watermarks of any kind! If you don't know how to remove that thing from playback yet, consult the Help files in the respective program (most often, it's DivX).
* 10. Plagiarism will NOT be tolerated here! If you are found to have submitted the work of another producer without permission and credited yourself with its creation, you will be removed completely from the project AND reported to the 'org admins.
* 11. If you entered a trailer into a AMV contest (whether or not it won) and/or uploaded it to the 'org and wish to have it used in this project, that works as well.

You may also send your unfinished "doomed to incompletion" AMVs for consideration.

And now, for future reference, the answer to the most common question associated with this series:
"What is a production tag?"
Okay, just so we have a point of reference, it goes like this. It's that very brief bit of film / video you always see just before the opening sequence, scene, or credits for any movie begins. They also appear at the end of every television show (the Stoopid Monkey thing after Robot Chicken or the Bad Hat cartoon after House). Some examples are the MGM lion, Columbia Pictures statue, the Universal Studios globe, etc.

Why do you need to know this? Because I want one from each of you to accompany the closing credits. If you appeared in AMV Salad 2 and are satisfied with the one you sent, let me know so I can place it for this one. Otherwise, you have until the last of May 2009 to work on it. ;)

The same tech standards apply to these things, but keep the length to under ten seconds if possible. If you don't have a "studio," just use your 'org name.

If any more guidelines are needed, this list will be modified to include them.

==========
Send all entries to deuceloosely@gmail.com
OR
(if your email server won't allow you to transfer large files) send a download link from http://www.megaupload.com.
==========

Technical standards:
Be sure to send the highest quality version of your work possible. If you have the option of using DVD video rather than downloaded fansubs, please do so. Seriously.

* File formats which are acceptable are (in this order of preference)
- mpeg2
- avi (DivX or HuffyUV preferred)
- mpeg1 (if necessary)
- WMV (as an ABSOLUTE last resort - please render as DV-AVI).
Please do not send anything formatted for Quicktime or encoded as divx (the file format, not the codec). Bottom line: make sure it can be viewed on Winamp before submitting. ;)

* The final compilation will be shown on full-screen mode when presented, so...
- 720x480 display size,
- a frame rate of 29.97 fps (NTSC "drop frame"),
- 4:3 aspect ratio (if possible)
are preferred as a standard for this project. Also, do whatever you can to avoid the letterbox appearing in the final video. If it can't be eliminated, I'll do what I can to fix it on my end. I'd rather not be placed in that position, but sometimes it can't be avoided.

* Please render your clips to Progressive (no interlace). If there is a problem with the visual quality, we'll discuss further options for remedying the situation.

* This project will be rendered as 640x420 resolution so please render your submissions as 720x480. Please don't use source video with resolution much smaller than that or it will look... bad... when cropped to fit the display.

* I don't mind if audio is uncompressed (wav). If you for whatever reason decide to compress before sending your clip, please use LAMEmp3 (stereo; 128kbps).

(I know this is a lot to swallow, but the end result will be spectacular...)

For a listing of inexpensive alternatives to Windows Movie Maker, refer to the following link:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... hp?t=61207
(I personally recommend Sony Vegas 7 for those of you hooked on the WMM2 interface). If you're on a low budget, MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 11 or higher is a good option.

If you wish to declare interest in this project, please do so. Again, the next installment of AMV Salad opens production July 20 of this year so start thinking about the craziness you plan to bestow upon us.

Who else is up for the fourth round?
Last edited by Squancho on Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:39 am, edited 32 times in total.
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Post by TwilightChrono » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:52 am

Well. I told myself I would be involved in this one, so..sign me up. I gotta get to sleep. Sign me up. If you wish to know what my editing skills are like, please check out any of my works. Preferably the more recent ones if you have too.

~Twilight~
Premiering At Another Anime Con 2012

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:24 am

TwilightChrono wrote:Well. I told myself I would be involved in this one, so..sign me up. I gotta get to sleep. Sign me up. If you wish to know what my editing skills are like, please check out any of my works. Preferably the more recent ones if you have too.

~Twilight~
I see a lot of drama, action, and serious stuff in your repertoire. You can be funny, right? I mean I'm thinking this might be a break for you from all the serious business, y'know..? ;)
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
(2020 - 2021)

Moonie
Give me some candy!
Org Profile

Post by Moonie » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:58 pm

AMV Salad, AMV Salad 2: the Second Serving and now Three bean Casserole?!
What happend to the desert?
You should throw in a slice of cherry pie with it :P

Good luck on the third installment to the series.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Post by TwilightChrono » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:15 pm

I see a lot of drama, action, and serious stuff in your repertoire. You can be funny, right? I mean I'm thinking this might be a break for you from all the serious business, y'know..? Wink
I agree. I can be funny no problem. If you need a tryout, let me know, and I'll put something funny together and send it to you. I'll work on something here in a few. Just tell me where you want it uploaded to or how you want me to send it, and I will do that. I look forward to this project.

Radman
Org Profile

Post by Radman » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:55 pm

I made this the other day.
http://files.filefront.com/Kagato+Palpa ... einfo.html
I did it for kicks and giggles, but if you think it would be a good addition to the project, I can remake it, tightening up the lip syncing and improving the visual quality.
Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it

OnyX DragoN
Org Profile

Post by OnyX DragoN » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:41 pm

I think I will make one, you say commercials are good right? hehe

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:50 pm

OnyX DragoN wrote:I think I will make one, you say commercials are good right? hehe
Yes, this is what we are focusing on. Keep in mind I don't want this to be all commercials / trailers. It should look in the end like a reversal of a typical half-hour of TV: 85% adverts, 15% programming. I need clips, but not as much as I will the other stuff... ;)
TwilightChrono wrote:I can be funny no problem. If you need a tryout, let me know, and I'll put something funny together and send it to you. I'll work on something here in a few. Just tell me where you want it uploaded to or how you want me to send it, and I will do that...
There should be my gmail address in the first post. But just to bring the upload information more into the open,...

email: deuceloosely@gmail.com
upload: www.megaupload.com
(if you can't send large files directly to me through email, use the upload site.)

Please remember also to include the anime and sound sources with your submissions.
Radman wrote:I made this the other day.
http://files.filefront.com/Kagato+Palpa ... einfo.html
I did it for kicks and giggles, but if you think it would be a good addition to the project, I can remake it, tightening up the lip syncing and improving the visual quality.
Nice! Only thing I'd say is I would need something like this to be made with the actual Star Wars trailer. Better yet,...Spaceballs! Just a suggestion. ;) Remember we're aiming for comedy, although that clip was a nice piece of work...
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
(2020 - 2021)

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Post by TwilightChrono » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:28 pm

There should be my gmail address in the first post. But just to bring the upload information more into the open,...

(if you can't send large files directly to me through email, use the upload site.)

Please remember also to include the anime and sound sources with your submissions.
Alright. I'll get right on it. Have it to ya by tomorrow evening at the latest.

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:56 am

TwilightChrono wrote:

Alright. I'll get right on it. Have it to ya by tomorrow evening at the latest.
*heh* Take whatever time you need. This thing will be going until late in
May 2009. ;)
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
(2020 - 2021)

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”