Finalists for Anime Expo Anime Music Video Contest 2008

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
NightHawk
Org Profile

Post by NightHawk » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:49 am

The Wired Knight wrote:Though there was some genre mixing with some videos that I think gave them an edge (Be a Man for instance -though don't take this wrong, I love this video).
If you're saying it should have been in a different category...I was shooting for AmTV until it turned Pro. lol So midway through making it, I tried shooting for the Adventure part of Action/Adventure.

And if you're talking about the other thing...yeah, I think if my AMV wasn't Gurren Lagann, I most likely wouldn't have taken the award. lol

And if I hadn't said it yet, congrats to all the winners!

I don't know what happened with the Drama, I thought Fix You won, but congrats Inaaca! The song really matched the scenes and the editing was very solid; very enjoyable. =]
ImageImage
ImageImage

Chiikaboom
memes
Org Profile

Post by Chiikaboom » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:01 am

Congrats to all the winners! :3
Image ImageImage

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:57 am

I hope all the videos are available soon, I really want to see them. Congrats to everyone, it sounds like the show went smoothly this year!!

My thanks to digital panther for answering all my questions - though it sounds like I caused some confusion about the use of my name. hehe

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:28 pm

Inaaca wrote:I've been searching high and low for a Mushi-Shi box set, lol. I'll have to search some stores for it next.
There isn't a box set yet, but there is a box offered with Volume 1 though. Keep an eye out for it in a RightStuf sale sometime.
I'm still kinda reeling from getting Best Drama, myself. I honestly didn't expect that it would be so well received, but I'm very proud that it did. I poured a lot of heart into that video, and it means more to me than what shows on the surface.
I do recall that yours was a hard video to rewatch because of the emotional strings your video pulls. Your award was earned. :)

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:34 pm

The Wired Knight wrote:I was shooting for AmTV until it turned Pro. lol So midway through making it, I tried shooting for the Adventure part of Action/Adventure.
There were, in fact, a couple submissions to the AMTV-Pro category that would have worked under the old definition, but certainly not the new. The judging method for that category would not have been kind to your video, as great as it was.
NightlHlawk wrote:And if you're talking about the other thing...yeah, I think if my AMV wasn't Gurren Lagann, I most likely wouldn't have taken the award. lol
I strongly disagree. I had never seen Gurren Lagann and have very little interest in seeing it (sorry GL fans, it just doesn't seem to appeal to me) yet I really liked your video.
NightlHlawk wrote:I don't know what happened with the Drama, I thought Fix You won, but congrats Inaaca! The song really matched the scenes and the editing was very solid; very enjoyable. =]
I'd wager Brad's vid gave Inaaca a run for the money though, that I'm sure of. Kudos to both. ;)

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:54 pm

The Wired Knight wrote:Good contest overall. I think only one or two videos were in it that I didn't care for so much but all in all a good job. Oddly enough I do think my video could have competed in comedy but meh, whatever; if I let stuff like that bother me I would have stopped editing long ago. Though there was some genre mixing with some videos that I think gave them an edge (Be a Man for instance -though don't take this wrong, I love this video).

The technical issues were minor and I'm just amazed we started so well on time for AX. Props to DP for doings uch a great job with the contest this year that pulled of fwhat will hopefully be the begining of the rise of the AX AMV contest again.

My only other complaint is that the creator seating was kind of all over the place; rather than alltogether, I think it's a bit better if the editors are kept together a bit better just for kicks.
I was sitting with Kisanzi and his group and we literally got kicked out of the seats we chose and had to go to our assigned seats.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:49 pm

Castor Troy wrote:I was sitting with Kisanzi and his group and we literally got kicked out of the seats we chose and had to go to our assigned seats.
Wow. Must've been hard getting the boot stains out. :P

Inaaca
Org Profile

Post by Inaaca » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:08 pm

xstylus wrote:
Inaaca wrote:I've been searching high and low for a Mushi-Shi box set, lol. I'll have to search some stores for it next.
There isn't a box set yet, but there is a box offered with Volume 1 though. Keep an eye out for it in a RightStuf sale sometime.
Yeah, I discovered that there wasn't a complete box set, nor was there one set for release anytime soon, after inquiring at the Funimation booth. I found out later from Rider that there was the starter box with the first dvd, but even after searching for that all of AX I couldn't find it. I did finally pick it up today by checking a local anime store on the way home from work, though. So now I finally have all of Mushi-Shi and looking forward to watching it. :D
xstylus wrote:
Inaaca wrote:I'm still kinda reeling from getting Best Drama, myself. I honestly didn't expect that it would be so well received, but I'm very proud that it did. I poured a lot of heart into that video, and it means more to me than what shows on the surface.
I do recall that yours was a hard video to rewatch because of the emotional strings your video pulls. Your award was earned. :)
Thank you very much. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
xstylus wrote:
NightlHlawk wrote:I don't know what happened with the Drama, I thought Fix You won, but congrats Inaaca! The song really matched the scenes and the editing was very solid; very enjoyable. =]
I'd wager Brad's vid gave Inaaca a run for the money though, that I'm sure of. Kudos to both. ;)
Brad's Fix You actually didn't make the contest this year, but it was shown during the preshow and also during the AMV 102 panel. An awesome video, regardless. I really liked it. He even told me himself though that he thought mine was way better than his, heh.. :sweat:
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

NightHawk
Org Profile

Post by NightHawk » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:20 pm

Inaaca wrote:Brad's Fix You actually didn't make the contest this year, but it was shown during the preshow and also during the AMV 102 panel. An awesome video, regardless. I really liked it. He even told me himself though that he thought mine was way better than his, heh.. :sweat:
Um, I'm pretty sure it was a part of the contest. lol

It's even on the official list posted by Michael.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Najdorf
Org Profile

The Annual Anonymous Tech / SFX Post

Post by Najdorf » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:49 pm

Hello Everyone!

I am the anonymous provider of your $100 Tech / SFX prize, now in our fifth year. We (my judges and I) enjoyed the contest very much this year. Michael did an excellent job organizing the competition, and I felt it was a strong year. While there were a number of excellent technical videos, we decided to give our award to Rainbow Revolution. Mr. John Bernales unfortunately did not attend AX this year, so we await his contact to claim his $100 Cash Prize. Thanks to everyone for their submissions, and I'll see you all next year!

Previous Winners:

2004: Football! (Subrunker) (Azumanga Daioh)
2005: 1985 (Subrunker) (Azumanga Daioh)
2006: Temporality V (J-Bone) (FLCL)
2007: Skittles (Koop) (Haruhi)

Return to “AMV Contests”