Finalists for Anime Expo Anime Music Video Contest 2008

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:17 pm

MisterFurious wrote:
Only two minor technical glitches. One video had the misfortune of overloading the DVD player and stuttered on two occasions. Granted, the show DVD had been tested on another player, and had worked fine, so that was not foreseeable. The second issue was that a few videos had MPEG-2 encoding glitches (you'd recognize them if you saw them - flashes of black blocks or a red screen). The two issues may be related. It's possible that the DVD's were encoded with too high a bit rate, which can overload some DVD players.
Just curious, was mine one of those? It behaved badly at another convention (perhaps at others, as well, but no one's said anything) and I've done my best to warn contest coordinators about the potential for it to act up. In fact, there are issues I've seen that no one else seems to notice as technical problems, mostly the audio and video going slightly in and out of synch, which of course throws everything off. When it played at Anime Boston, I sat there wincing for four minutes straight because the synch was so messed up - I could barely stand to watch. If this happened at AX, too... :cry:

(And if it wasn't mine that caused the technical glitches...I'm very sympathetic because I know how it feels. :|)

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:19 pm

DriftRoot wrote:
MisterFurious wrote:
Only two minor technical glitches. One video had the misfortune of overloading the DVD player and stuttered on two occasions. Granted, the show DVD had been tested on another player, and had worked fine, so that was not foreseeable. The second issue was that a few videos had MPEG-2 encoding glitches (you'd recognize them if you saw them - flashes of black blocks or a red screen). The two issues may be related. It's possible that the DVD's were encoded with too high a bit rate, which can overload some DVD players.
Just curious, was mine one of those? It behaved badly at another convention (perhaps at others, as well, but no one's said anything) and I've done my best to warn contest coordinators about the potential for it to act up. In fact, there are issues I've seen that no one else seems to notice as technical problems, mostly the audio and video going slightly in and out of synch, which of course throws everything off. When it played at Anime Boston, I sat there wincing for four minutes straight because the synch was so messed up - I could barely stand to watch. If this happened at AX, too... :cry:

(And if it wasn't mine that caused the technical glitches...I'm very sympathetic because I know how it feels. :|)
Yours was fine from what I remember.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:23 pm

Wow... (phew) thanks *starts breathing again*

DigitalPanther
Org Profile

Post by DigitalPanther » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:24 pm

DriftRoot wrote:
MisterFurious wrote:

Yours played fine as I recall. the only glitch I noticed which wasn't really a glitch so much as a limitation of the upscaling dvd player it was playing in. The crawl text below the "news feed" segment was pretty much unreadable. So your injured NPCs joke wasn't legible. otherwise it was well recieved.
-DP

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:29 pm

Ah...well, people can barely catch that joke on the distro version as it is, so that's perfectly ok. ^_^

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:44 pm

MisterFurious wrote:I'll throw in my two cents in that there were a couple of AMTV-Pro videos that really belonged in other categories, like Drama or Action.
i will assume you are referring to my video since i too feel the same way. however, i had already entered 2 videos previous to One-Eyed Fish into drama, so all i had left was AmTV (that is an exaggeration, do not chew me out)
i'll admit i definitely felt like a small fish playing in between Rainbow Revolution and Attack of the Otaku :shock: however i was very pleased to hear the number of cheers from the crowd who recognized Mushi-Shi right away. and having introduced the series to a thousand more people was definitely worth feeling outclassed.

here is the list of winners:

Ballot # - AMV Title - Studio Name/Creator

Staff Favorite
• #26 - 'Bustin - Drift Root

Judges Favorite
• #26 - 'Bustin - Drift Root

Creators Favorite
• #5 - Be A Man - Kerry Potts

General Audience
Action: #5 - Be A Man - Kerry Potts
Drama: #16 - Farewell My Lover
Comedy: #27 - The Harassment of Kyon - Mysterious Rider
AmTV-Pro: #34 - Rainbow Revolution - Vellure

Best of Show
• #27 - The Harassment of Kyon - Mysterious Rider

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:43 pm

Rider4Z wrote:i'll admit i definitely felt like a small fish playing in between Rainbow Revolution and Attack of the Otaku :shock: however i was very pleased to hear the number of cheers from the crowd who recognized Mushi-Shi right away. and having introduced the series to a thousand more people was definitely worth feeling outclassed.
Heh... interestingly enough, as I started typing this your video just now started playing here at our staff "dead dog" party. That song has been stuck in my head ever since the contest. :P

Anyway, I've never seen Mushi-shi, but whatever the show is about, it blended well with your truly magnificent song choice. If your intent was to interest people in the show, well done, you achieved it. I think I'll add it to my list of shows to buy.

Oh, and a fellow staffer glancing over my shoulder as I type this asked me to convey his complements as well. "I must know what this anime is about."

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:57 pm

ohhhHHH :') i'm so glad. i really appreciate hearing that. isn't the song gorgeous? oo i originally feared it may be too fast of a rhythm to work well with the series, but i just had to try.

that feels so good to hear someone interested in checking it out. it's an amazing piece of art that rivals the great Miyazaki in my opinion. you can quote me on that :P

i do have to say how disappointed i am that i went to AX expecting to see lots of Mushi-Shi merchandise and such....NOTHING!! i saw manga, and the only dvds were at the FUNimation booth :evil: what the heck?? nothing in artist alley, art show, no posters, t-shirts, figures, NUTHIN :cry: i guess i'll have to check online.
i was hoping to at least find a really cool statue or something. i'd be willing to shell out 100 bucks for a good one. *sigh*

Inaaca
Org Profile

Post by Inaaca » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:35 am

I really liked that Mushi-Shi vid, personally. I voted it for category AND best of show, but I'm kind of a sucker for good picturesque, sentimental videos. and Rider knows all too well that ever since seeing it I've been searching high and low for a Mushi-Shi box set, lol. I'll have to search some stores for it next.

I'm still kinda reeling from getting Best Drama, myself. I honestly didn't expect that it would be so well received, but I'm very proud that it did. I poured a lot of heart into that video, and it means more to me than what shows on the surface.

Congratulations to all the winners!
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:01 am

Good contest overall. I think only one or two videos were in it that I didn't care for so much but all in all a good job. Oddly enough I do think my video could have competed in comedy but meh, whatever; if I let stuff like that bother me I would have stopped editing long ago. Though there was some genre mixing with some videos that I think gave them an edge (Be a Man for instance -though don't take this wrong, I love this video).

The technical issues were minor and I'm just amazed we started so well on time for AX. Props to DP for doings uch a great job with the contest this year that pulled of fwhat will hopefully be the begining of the rise of the AX AMV contest again.

My only other complaint is that the creator seating was kind of all over the place; rather than alltogether, I think it's a bit better if the editors are kept together a bit better just for kicks.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Return to “AMV Contests”