Forming an effect into a mask?

Altrouge
Hero of Time
Org Profile

Forming an effect into a mask?

Post by Altrouge » Sun May 25, 2008 1:36 pm

In the Project Trinity - Christian Rock MEP, at around 18:00 on Narutobattousai's Fate/Stay Night track, there's a weird effect I can't figure out how to do.

There seems to be a jagged line which forms into a mask of the image before the image actually appears. I'm using Vegas, so I'm not sure if it's even possible without some other application like AE.

guy07
Org Profile

Post by guy07 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:01 pm

I'm not sure exactly what your talking about ....i haven't seen that project, but the process used is pretty simple. Make the mask shape you want to use, in the mask window at the top there should be a little save icon, type something in and save it, now go to the media generators section and drop something on the timeline. Get to the mask screen and click on the select button where you typed in the name of the mask and select that mask you previously made, don't forget to click the little 'mask' check box so it shows up. Now cross fade the two or use a transition and see what you can do from there. That should be basically what your talking about.

Altrouge
Hero of Time
Org Profile

Post by Altrouge » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:11 pm

Yeah, I can pretty much get something like that to work, just not a smooth transition.

Basically, all I'm asking is if you masked the beginning frame of a solid color into a simple shape (lightning bolt) and masked the last frame of the same solid color into a mask of a character, would Vegas be able to automatically make a smooth transition from lightning bolt to character?

My guess would be no, and I'm assuming Batto did all the in-between frames by hand XD

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:55 pm

Batto constantly is claiming to me that the only program he ever uses is Vegas so if I were to make a guess off of that statement alone, it can be done in vegas.

guy07
Org Profile

Post by guy07 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:21 pm

OOOHHH! I think i understand, you want it to sort of morph from one shape to another? That's a little more complicated. I'll try to explain it:
Ok, basically you want to make the first mask you want, then on the mask timeline at the bottom of the mask window move the cursor to the end and click there, now USING THE SAME POINTS (you can add or some if you want, but dont' delete the shape) select the regular pointer thingy and move the points to a new form a new shape. Play it back and see if that is something similar to what you want.

Return to “Effects & Techniques”