Are Flash Animations AMV's...?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
punistation
Org Profile

Are Flash Animations AMV's...?

Post by punistation » Tue Jul 16, 2002 6:03 am

Hi'ya, guys n' gals.

I'm sure everyone here is familiar with the age old debate on what exactly qualifies as an Anime Music Video. But what is an AMV?

So many beloved AMV's are often denounced as unpure and not worthy of being associated with a-m-v.org because of the content being played... AMV's that contain game footage, still footage, live-action footage, not made in Japan so it's not anime footage, etc. I guess as long as an AMV has Japanese anime playing, it's okay ne? That covers the ANIME part.

Then there's the MUSIC part. Scott Melzer's OTAKUDOM is by popular opinion not considered an AMV, but rather a documentary. Is this because so much of the audio is dialogue, shot in documentary format... or is it because it goes on for about an hour? No-one has recommended anyone go to animemusicvideosthatdontgoformorethan10minutes.org, so it's probably the audio thang. If a song is playing, an AMV is fine, ne? That covers MUSIC.

...but what about the VIDEO in "Anime Music Video"? What is considered a video? If it's simply anything that has images played one after another, can FLASH animations be considered AMV's?

:?

It seems to me that a FLASH animation is simply a matter of preferred format. After all, it's up to you what images you want to be played. ANIME footage would seem to be just as easy to use as hand-drawn sketches or screen captures. MUSIC is also a non-issue. So I guess the only issue to be considered is... is it VIDEO?

As it is, only a select few are considered worthy of an AMV format right now. MPG and AVI are by far the most popular. Is VIDEO classified here as whatever can be played in Windows Media Player? Nah... that doesn't cover MOV's and RM's.

What about conversion: the ability to convert from one format to another? It's fairly simple to convert between MPG, AVI and MOV... but FLASH animations? I suppose you would have to use a realtime screen recorder. But wait! Before the TINRA program, that was the only way to convert RM video files too! RM files were considered AMV's back when they were unconvertable, so the same must be said for FLASH's, ne?

Hmmm... the ability to STOP, PAUSE and stuff? Nah, FLASH files have that option. Frames Per Second? I'm pretty sure FLASH's have that too. Fullscreen playback? Check.

:roll:

Right now, I can't think of a single reason why FLASH animations can't be considered Anime Music Videos along with MPG, AVI and the rest. I haven't thought about it that much. Has this debate happenned before?

Kisses XXOOXX
Jen

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Tue Jul 16, 2002 7:33 am

Flash animations can be anime music videos, yes.

Just dont expect me to download them *stabs evil flash*

Flea Of Terror
Org Profile

Post by Flea Of Terror » Wed Jul 17, 2002 11:17 am

I Flash animation programed from scratch, using flash, to me is considered a AMV. Same with WMV, RM, MOV and such other files.
I even converted an entire video of mine into flash just to see what it would be like. It's on my website.

Rebus_Valstay
Org Profile

Post by Rebus_Valstay » Wed Jul 17, 2002 11:27 am

If the person handles their work responsibly and, as a result, adds credibility to the flash animation I have no problems considering it a video.
[GLaU] Rebus Valstay
-----
Dammit! Where'd I put my cancer sticks?

paizuri
Org Profile

Re: Are Flash Animations AMV's...?

Post by paizuri » Wed Jul 17, 2002 2:20 pm

punistation wrote:Then there's the MUSIC part. Scott Melzer's OTAKUDOM is by popular opinion not considered an AMV, but rather a documentary. Is this because so much of the audio is dialogue, shot in documentary format... or is it because it goes on for about an hour? No-one has recommended anyone go to animemusicvideosthatdontgoformorethan10minutes.org, so it's probably the audio thang. If a song is playing, an AMV is fine, ne? That covers MUSIC.
Actually, I think "This is Otakudom" can only be considered a documentary in the same way "This is Spinal Tap" can be considered one. In other words, it's not. It's a parody done in a documentary format, but it's still a parody. Calling TiO a documentary is like making a home video, playing it on a big screen and calling that a feature film. Sure you could argue that it was "featured" somewhere, but then I could argue that you're being silly. And to some degree, we would both be right.

I think that we shouldn't over-categorize things, but at the same time, there should be a minimum set of qualities that defines AMVs, or else we could sink into a state of lawless abandon!
My favorite video: Grilled Steak Trigun I LOVE THE COPS! Rargh!
I ain't 2 proud 2 beg! haha school rumble is great
Why do I always have the most preposterous sigs???
My current favorite thread. I'm a huge fan of GA-JAMMING.

kthulhu
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Wed Jul 17, 2002 3:02 pm

My definition of an Anime Music Video:
In a common computer video format(.RM *ugh*,.WMV *ugh,again*,.MOV *ugh*,Divx or MPEG) or on videotape to a lesser extent,using Japanese anime footage,and any audio.Live footage and other stuff can be added,but the video should us predominantly Japanime footage.

If you use American or other non-Japanese footage,I'd consider that an Animated Music Video (AniMV maybe?).

Game footage:GMV.

Any other footage is just a multimedia project.

Flash or Java only counts as Web multimedia,to me,not a music video or whatnot.
I'm out...

NeoGohan
Org Profile

Post by NeoGohan » Wed Jul 17, 2002 3:10 pm

Think of a music video on MTV.

Now, think of it being anime-related, either through video or audio.

Theres an AMV. At least thats how I catagorize them, anyway.

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Wed Jul 17, 2002 3:31 pm

Yeah that's basically how I look at AMVs NeoGohan, but not quite. I'm really flexible because AMVs are mostly all fan creations. And also, I'd hate to compare this place to MTV :evil: . I think anything that is anime-themed with video and is set to some kind of audio is an AMV. Maybe that's too flexible but that's how I categorize it. I don't even care about the format at all as long as I am able to play it somehow. I like to think of 'AMV' as a pretty general acronym and not really restricted to those three words. Well that's what I think...
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

kthulhu
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Wed Jul 17, 2002 3:43 pm

My main problem is with people who claim that all animation is "anime"."It's a French word the Japanese borrowed,and it's a generic French/Japanese word for animation,so all animation is anime!"Tough cookies,you crackers.Sure,that may be the case,but the de facto meaning has become "Japanese animation".Don't try to pass off your He Man/Linkin Park or musically endowed Flash animation vid as an AMV,'cuz it ain't one.
I'm out...

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Wed Jul 17, 2002 4:58 pm

It's all very well saying the japanese use "anime" to mean all animation.

That doesn't matter. Loan words hardly ever maintain their original meaning exactly.

The way the word has been adopted in the west is to signify specifically Japanese Animation. Not a style of animation or a genre, just simply animation that comes from japan.

Who cares that mutton means a type of meat in English and "sheep" (dead or alive) in French? It's the same principle - the word has changed.

If you wanted to return to the original etymologies for every word nobody would know what you were talking about.

Return to “General AMV”