help with *coughs*easing in and out*coughs*?

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.
Cinnamon_Spider
Org Profile

help with *coughs*easing in and out*coughs*?

Post by Cinnamon_Spider » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:54 pm

Okay, i know..you all are probably going "what an idiot?, she doesn't even know how to freaking ease in or out?". And if your not, thanks. ^_^ Anyway, here's the issue.

Sometimes when i go to ease in on a picture it won't work until the last second. Say for example, i held a picture for 10 seconds and added ease in. Sometimes it would just stay "normal" for like 9 seconds, then on the very last second, ease in super fast! I notice that it usually does this at the very end of a video that i'm making and it totally ruins the ending! :( I also make sure that the placement isn't before a "fade in" or after a "fade out". Also, sometimes when i go to clip a piece of audio i half, i'll fade out on that and it will fade out, only to have this one clip of the normal volume noise left at the very end, but it will be extremely short so you can really tell and it makes it sound horrible! I don't know what's up :( WWM is usually my friend...

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:06 am

from what i know wmm's panning is a drop in effect, so it will pan from one position to another and the change of position is always the same so if the clip is shorter then it will pan faster if the clip is longer it will pan slower...

what you can do to get around that is to take the clip you want to pan and adjust the length so that it moves the speed you want then export just that clip (as a DVAVI or other high quality version) and then import it into your video project and cut off the clip at the time you want it to cut off.

make sense?

guy07
Org Profile

Post by guy07 » Sun May 04, 2008 10:51 pm

Something i learned a while back that helps with Transitions: Make a black and white blank picture, load that and insert it between the tracks, overlay them to turn it into a custom transition :D
Use black for fades to blacks, white for fade to white, just be sure the resolution of the footage your using is the same as the pic. ^_^

Cinnamon_Spider
Org Profile

Post by Cinnamon_Spider » Fri May 16, 2008 12:07 pm

As a response to Jeddzia,
The picture was held for a longer amount of time, but it just zooms in really quick at the last second, and then for the rest of the time before that it just stays normal. So it looks rather crappy, you see the normal picture for about 5 seconds, and then on the last second, ZING, it goes to super zoom. That glitch happens a lot. Usually when i've been working with WMM for awhile. I think it starts to get angry at me.
And also, i've been working on another video and at a certain point it starts freezing up and it automatically shuts out the program. I don't even have to press CRL, ALT, and delete to turn it off. Thankfully it's been saving my information, but it still a bit of a hassle that whenever i try and see the whole movie of what i have so far it closes out at one certain point. I've tried opening up and closing it out and it still does that. Perhaps i should try restarting it..but does anyone else have any advice?

To Guy:
Yeah, i've tried that before and it works great :) Thanks! But sadly i'm not really trying to fade, just zoom in. I love using that black thing transition when i want it to have a really nice slow fade. Great dramatic effect. I wish they had a slower fade with the music like that too...:/

Thanks to both of you though :) Any other advice on these issues would be greatly appreciated ^_^

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sun May 18, 2008 10:10 pm

my best suggestion: get a better program that has better control over panning.

such as:
Premiere
Vegas
Magix

Kanti13
Org Profile

Post by Kanti13 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:35 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:my best suggestion: get a better program that has better control over panning.

such as:
Premiere
Vegas
Magix
Actually Magix really gives you very little control over panning and zooming. That was the one thing I hated about it.

guy07
Org Profile

Post by guy07 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:12 pm

Vegas 6 ftw

LonelyValid
Org Profile

Post by LonelyValid » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:22 pm

guy07 wrote:Vegas 6 ftw
Sucks with making amv's , great with editing.

Vivaldi
Polemic Apologist
Org Profile

Post by Vivaldi » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:49 pm

LonelyValid wrote:
guy07 wrote:Vegas 6 ftw
Sucks with making amv's , great with editing.
O_o

You do realize that's what a fairly large portion of the editors here use? experienced ones included.

Also, necro-posting is frowned upon in these forums, you might want to check the date first in the future.
<Kenzichu> HAHAHA!!
<Kenzichu> everyone died!

HiroshimaProductions
Org Profile

Post by HiroshimaProductions » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:32 am

The main quailty you need to be able to use Windows Movie Maker is patenice.
Your issue is one of many simple glitches in the program, you'll just have to save your work and restart the application. If it still proceeds to not work, take Jaddzia's advice, you may want to get a new video editing program.

Precise video editing with WMM is hard, but possible, you'll discover alot more of these glitches as you get better at the program but, trust me, you'll find ways around them.

In time, you'll most likely come to realise that WMM isn't capible of most things, and you'll go over to a new program.

Return to “Windows Movie Maker”