Newbies: How to make your first AMV

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Rozard
Org Profile

Post by Rozard » Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:05 pm

Well, actually, you could do it with one VCR, but it'd be hard as balls. The guide in the Guides Section for using 2 VCRs is actually meant as a joke, although it does work. I've done this in High School, but the equipment was designed for video editing. To VashViceStyle I recommend this: If you're planning on actually making AMVs, start out with Windows movie maker (Comes with Windows ME and XP) or Quicktime Editor. They are both easy to use and easy to learn on. I believe Quicktime Editor is a free download, but I'm not sure. WMM comes with any WinME or WinXP computer.
RichLather: We are guests of this forum, and as such we do not make the rules.
BishounenStalker The freedom to suck is what makes the Internet rock.

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Sun Nov 24, 2002 9:26 pm

Video capture cards: If you're on a VERY tight budget, don't get one. I'd recommend WinTV. It's an old wannabe-capture card, but it works if you're on a tight budget. I bought it for around $40 after the rebates. You hook it up with a USB cord to your CPU, and then another part to a VCR, put the tape in, read the directions, get AVIs and screencaps galore. I know there's somehow a way to get game footage with that, but haven't been able to figure it out yet ><.

Rare animes and WinMX: Although WinMX has a LOT of rare animes because it is popular in Japan(heck, I have WinMX, and try to advertise it in my AMVs). However, few English speaking people use it, and unless you somehow get your Japanese/Chinese Language supporter to work while you're using WinMX, all you're going to get in the title of what you're looking for is a lot of numbers and symbols, so, god luck. ><

Reading guides, not being able to post for three days, and other n00b suggestions: I made atleast four music videos before I even CONSIDERED joining a-m-v.org(don't flame me for that ^-^;;). I didn't read any of the guides or anything, but I did make four AMVs before even knowing this site existed, got familiar with my software, and how to make relatively decent AMVs. (my first one sucked ass, but I was fairly good in the lip-syncing department!) Anyway, I think people should make atleast ONE AMV before joining this site. It worked for me, it should work for all of you!

The a-m-v.org "confusion": I cannot understand how POSSIBLY someone can think animemusicvideos.org is a-m-v.org, even though we refer to it as such. I mean, you had to FIND this site by entering in the url at the top first, to knwo it exsisted. Do when someone says a-m-v.org, wouldn't it pop into your mind "Oh! That means animemusicvideos.org!" instead of "Somehow this URL at the top of my screen MUST be wrong because everyone's saying it's a-m-v.org!" I mean, isn't that common sense that it's animemusicvideos.org?

-End of a noob-but-not-really-a-noob's rant-
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

jonmartensen
Org Profile

Re: I'm trying to start my first AMV! I need help

Post by jonmartensen » Sun Nov 24, 2002 9:43 pm

NewFoundGlory wrote:I don't know how to make one!!
I know I would need footage of animes, but how do I get it on my computer? Also, how do i edit the footage to a song? :?
Jesus tappdancing christ!!!! Now I understand why people of an established board/hobby can be so harsh with "noobs". I gave everything this guy needs just two posts above him with basic info and direct links to Ermacs (wonderfully made) guide and the premiere website!!! aarrrgggghhh :x :evil: (I need an emoticon that is a cross between those two to fully express my dissatisfaction)

He just gets on without reading anything, asks someone how to do everything, and leaves when he finds out it takes some effort.

At least VashViceStyle has a legitimate question, since the information he needs on video capture isn't given in previous posts.

But dear god, when people get on and post saying "tell me how to make AMV's" without reading anything, it just makes me go "AAAAUUUURRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH *runs into wall* *BAM* "
The least they could do is read some of the very well made guides on getting footage and editing, and then attempting to do something before they get on and ask "How do I make AMV's"

This pisses me off and I don't know Jack squat compared to most of the On Topic members of the org.

/end rant mode
sorry :oops:

Gene Starwind 21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

I'm new but it's working great

Post by Gene Starwind 21122 » Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:27 pm

We'll my first video took me a while I used DVD's when I could and used the Dazzle 80. Now the only thing is I need to buy Nero to burn them. So far I have made two videos and I'm trying to decide which one is better for Katsucon because one is all done w/ DVD's and the other is half and half. One is Action/Dramatic and the other one is Dramatic. The A/D one is done half and half while the other one is all DVD so both are good concepts and have been getting good responses from the friends I've shown it too except the A/D one at some times gets a blurred so I may send in my second one or go back and buy the DVD's for the first.
No matter what, stay calm, stay cool and live life to the fullest.
Plus as Gene would say always go big in life.
Anime Mid Atlantic AMV Contest Coordinator 2007-2011
Katsucon AMV Contest Coordinator 2010-2011
T-Mode Contest Coordinator 2013
Nekocon AMV Contest Coordinator 2014

Daimao
Org Profile

Post by Daimao » Sat Dec 07, 2002 9:39 pm

In case this hasn't already been mentioned....

What NOT to do if you want a good AMV:

Do NOT use a windows media format (usually .wmv or .asf)
Do NOT use Realplayer (usually something like .rm -rf /luser)

Some good video formats are:

DivX 3.11alpha
XviD
MPEG
And just for the hell of it I'll give QuickTime 6's new MPEG-4 a chance.

Some good audio formats:
(There isnt much choice here anyway)
MP3
OGG

In case you are lucky enough to have a clean computer, and you didn't install any codec packs or divx 4/5. Then there is good news, you can now watch those divx4/5 and xvid encoded videos without installing the codecs (YAY)

A good set of codecs, and the only ones you should need for that matter are:

DivX 3.11alpha - if you know how to encode this one stands above 4/5.
ffdshow - directshow filters which allow you to watch divx3, divx4, divx5, xvid, and mpeg4v3 (the microsoft version).
Ogg Vorbis DirectShow Filter Collection - There are two, you'll need both.

Note: The Ogg filters are only needed if you are making and watching .ogm (ogg movies). Ogg movies using xvid for video and ogg audio for the audio.
Mac Users: I'm sure there is something out there that works....

Getting Sources:

If you have the DVDs, then rip them to either DivX 3.11alpha or XviD. My advice if you are new to ripping the source from the dvd is to use GordianKnot and encode to DivX 3.11alpha.

Downloads:
The codecs and filters are available on doom9.net/org in the download section. Obviously the filters will not be in the same place as the codecs and vise versa, and in order to see the ogg stuff you will need to click 'show me more' near filters.
The DVD backup and ripping utils are also there, along with the GordianKnot program and update. And the guides are there as well, hooah.[/u]
Hitokiri Daimao
Network God and BOFH
Problem exists between keyboard and chair.

keiishi87
Org Profile

um looks like you caught ur first n00b.. lol

Post by keiishi87 » Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:25 pm

I just recently got into anime music vids all thanks to "Ah! My Goddess"... that's a really good anime by the way (if you're into the romantic, sci-fi stuff =). This is my first day here at this site, and I've read two or three guides. But I'm still wondering some things, even if they may sound noob-ish to you all. Well, I'm wondering which program(s) I should start out with in order to put an AMV together. I know already that I need good sources preferably from DVD's and the such, but I still don't have a heckuva clue what proggie to use.. I'm using my Windows Movie Maker right now and it's pretty good. But could somebody recommend a better program to use that's free? ThAnKs!

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Fri Dec 27, 2002 1:03 pm

A Free program? Err. . . . .

I think only WMM falls into that catergory. I know a lot of people bash WMM, but don't worry about it. Some vids turn out really good (Everyone who has seen my "Pills" vid, THAT was made with WMM) in it.

I made two to three videos with WMM before I started understanding how to pull some good quality vids from it. The only things wrong with it that I can see are that it only exports in .WMV format, messes sound quality up a little, and only has additive dissolves(fades) for effects.

If you can find it, I believe Adobe Premiere 6.0 is on KaZaA, But I'd recommend buying it even if it is in the $600 range just so you can have that manual. -pats manual-

Other good programs that I know of cannot be found on KaZaA or any other file sharing device and are a hell of a lot more expensive. Dazzle also works as editing, but I find that the program is horrible, so I don't use it as much as Premiere or WMM.

I hope that helps you out a little.

Contact me if you're having any trouble with WMM and can't find the help you need on the help page.
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

Genjo_Sanzo
Org Profile

problom

Post by Genjo_Sanzo » Thu Jan 02, 2003 3:27 am

oops i was stupid. I, against all information I heard against it finished my first amv using Divx files. Then when I finished it the video quality was crap. So now I have to redo it. So I got huffyuv but when I change my .vob files into .avi all i get is colored static. Does anyone know an answer to my problom?

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Thu Jan 02, 2003 9:18 am

WHAT THE FUCK?

Some moderator edited the first post, changing some of the stuff significantly!

It looks as if I'm saying stuff which I would never, ever say to do (for example, use Gordian Knot to rip a DVD to DivX or XviD, and then use it as source.)

Hey, mods, either change it back to what I said, ask ME how *I* would want MY OWN post updated, or take my picture out of the post.

And you can bet your little moderator ass I'm gonna talk to Phade about this. Sheesh.[/i]

[MOD359: I simply added what was in one of your later posts, I didn't change anything - I consolidated one of your later posts with the first. AS I SAID in another thread to you - please post a complete update of the post right here and I will update the first post for you.]
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Thu Jan 02, 2003 8:04 pm

MOD359 wrote:[MOD359: I simply added what was in one of your later posts, I didn't change anything - I consolidated one of your later posts with the first. AS I SAID in another thread to you - please post a complete update of the post right here and I will update the first post for you.]
Y'know, I don't make a habit of reading months-old threads. So leaving me a message in this thread to tell me something isn't really a good way to get in contact with me...
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

Return to “General AMV”