Can't figure out how to composite correctly...

Altrouge
Hero of Time
Org Profile

Can't figure out how to composite correctly...

Post by Altrouge » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:01 am

I've been messing around with Sony Vegas for a while now making AMVs, but I still can't composite videos the way I'd like to.

Maybe it's because I'm not understanding how the 'Composite Mode' button works, but I can't get a video to appear 'inside' or 'over' another one the right way.

For example, in Sierra Lorna's track in the Project Trinity AMV, specifically 20:27 and 20:33, is what I'm trying to do. I'm not sure how to get one side of a video to 'appear' while the other doesn't, which lets the overlay video be seen.

Sorry if I sound confusing; actually, I always am confusing when I try to discribe this stuff XD

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:19 am

the "effect" you are looking for is called masking - or more specifically a split screen (at least from what you are describing) it can be achieved many ways...

easiest way in vegas = masking tool

the idiot's guide to Sony Vegas

Altrouge
Hero of Time
Org Profile

Post by Altrouge » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:31 am

JaddziaDax wrote:the "effect" you are looking for is called masking - or more specifically a split screen (at least from what you are describing) it can be achieved many ways...

easiest way in vegas = masking tool

the idiot's guide to Sony Vegas
So...is it possible to mask or 'cut' a circle out of a clip, add another clip in a second layer to appear through that hole, and then smooth out the edges so that they blend into eachother?

I'm not sure, but is there a specific compositing mode you need to use, or can you just let both stay on source alpha? Second, the only way I've found out to smooth a border is to use the 'Soft Edge' Border effect. Although this is good for edges, how would you make it work on weird masks (like circles or other weird shapes)?

Thanks again for your help ^_^

DayWalker B.
Org Profile

Post by DayWalker B. » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:54 pm

shadowzero_6 wrote:I'm not sure, but is there a specific compositing mode you need to use, or can you just let both stay on source alpha?
When masking you can leave them on source alpha. It depends on how you want it to look like though.
shadowzero_6 wrote:Second, the only way I've found out to smooth a border is to use the 'Soft Edge' Border effect. Although this is good for edges, how would you make it work on weird masks (like circles or other weird shapes)?
You could feather the path of the mask a bit (the function is located at the bottom left of the masking/pan/crop window). With the path selected you can, for example, choose the feather type (in, out or both) and adjust how much it should be smoothed.
Konnichiwa, bitchez.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:20 pm

shadowzero_6 wrote:So...is it possible to mask or 'cut' a circle out of a clip, add another clip in a second layer to appear through that hole, and then smooth out the edges so that they blend into eachother?

I'm not sure, but is there a specific compositing mode you need to use, or can you just let both stay on source alpha? Second, the only way I've found out to smooth a border is to use the 'Soft Edge' Border effect. Although this is good for edges, how would you make it work on weird masks (like circles or other weird shapes)?

Thanks again for your help ^_^
For a circle (or any other shape found in the cookie cutter menu):
Take the clip you want to appear in that hole, go to the cookie cutter (it's under video effects) and apply it to the clip you want to appear in the circle. there is a setting called "Feather" it should blur the edges depending on how you set it

For any other shape not found in the cookie cutter:

Altrouge
Hero of Time
Org Profile

Post by Altrouge » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:57 pm

Wow, Jaddzia, that's quite the reply you've got there...o.O

But thanks, you're always a help. I'm pretty sure I know what to do now ^_^

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:08 pm

I actually made those screencaps a while ago... so no worries O.o