Is subs in a AMV a good thing or a bad thing?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:50 pm

not everyone who sells on eBay are bootleggers, but you do have to be careful to watch out for them there.

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:00 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:not everyone who sells on eBay are bootleggers, but you do have to be careful to watch out for them there.
A large majority of it is, but yes, now and then one or two legit copies pop up among the deluge of bootlegs.

Here's a good site that gives info on how to spot bootlegs: http://www.digital.anime.org.uk/piratefaq.html

My beef is that I've been observing that people don't really seem to care so long as it's cheap (or free).

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:04 pm

I understand that... but still to say everyone from eBay are nothing but bootleggers is a bit harsh.. You gotta watch out for bootleggers on Amazon.com as well at least in the new/used parts... but not everyone who sells DVDs there are bootleggers either..

that site you got is pretty useful, and rightstuf's sales are the best... ADV often has some good sales as well O.o

Illwilledmarine
Org Profile

Post by Illwilledmarine » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:23 am

xstylus wrote:
JaddziaDax wrote:not everyone who sells on eBay are bootleggers, but you do have to be careful to watch out for them there.
A large majority of it is, but yes, now and then one or two legit copies pop up among the deluge of bootlegs.

Here's a good site that gives info on how to spot bootlegs: http://www.digital.anime.org.uk/piratefaq.html

My beef is that I've been observing that people don't really seem to care so long as it's cheap (or free).
I fell victim the first time I bought an anime on ebay... After that I virtually stayed away until I knew what the legit versions looked like before searching.

But anyways, subtitles, logos (especially Divx and CN logos) really make me lose interest, to the point of turning off an amv midway and deleting it the minute I see them. But I did see an amv here on the org that had subs made to translate the lyrics of the song used, I didn't mind it at the time cause I was curious as to what the lyrics were.

hyuuga10
Org Profile

Post by hyuuga10 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:43 am

Sometimes annoying, but it depends on how you use them

)Advent(
Org Profile

Re: Is subs in a AMV a good thing or a bad thing?

Post by )Advent( » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:00 pm

xstylus wrote:
Fansub's are my bread and butter
If that's truly your opinion, then you have zero place in anime or AMV fandom, leech.
Oh please, get off your high horse. Not everyone has access to a credit card to purchase things online or a means of transport to get to a store to buy it in person. I am in the process of getting the real thing, but for you to put down anyone who is otherwise unable to get a hold legitimate copy’s of seems rather childish. Have you ever listened to the radio and heard a song you enjoyed, and went out to buy the CD a little later on? If so, then you are guilt of the same thing.

Shambu2
Org Profile

Post by Shambu2 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:10 pm

I dont think using subs look very good. I try to hide the subs even if i have to make the whole video widescreen.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Re: Is subs in a AMV a good thing or a bad thing?

Post by JaddziaDax » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:28 pm

)Advent( wrote:
xstylus wrote:
Fansub's are my bread and butter
If that's truly your opinion, then you have zero place in anime or AMV fandom, leech.
Oh please, get off your high horse. Not everyone has access to a credit card to purchase things online or a means of transport to get to a store to buy it in person. I am in the process of getting the real thing, but for you to put down anyone who is otherwise unable to get a hold legitimate copy’s of seems rather childish. Have you ever listened to the radio and heard a song you enjoyed, and went out to buy the CD a little later on? If so, then you are guilt of the same thing.
The radio analogy is more like going to a con and watching anime there, the radio has permission/payed fees to broadcast the song such as the con has permission to show the anime...

Downloading fansubs in such a way would be more like illegally downloading a song from a p2p until you could get your new iTunes card and/or buy the CD.

)Advent(
Org Profile

Post by )Advent( » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:36 pm

I do not download them, I used to watch them off youtube. The radio analogy is quite a reach, I know, I was typing out of anger and not thinking clearly. It just urkes me be put down for somthing that was out of my controle and that I am striving to fix. Apologys to all all whom I may have offended.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:46 pm

Even so the tube has been under constant threat of lawsuit since it became popular and that is why they constantly take down the shows/amvs from that site because the tube has not paid/gone through the correct process to broadcast those video files.

ah you gotta love copyright and its handled differently in every country O:

Return to “General AMV”