Is subs in a AMV a good thing or a bad thing?

This forum is for the general discussion of Anime Music Videos.

Postby Minion » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:03 pm

Douggie wrote:"A Total Waste of 6 Minutes and 35 Seconds"

beat me to it
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes
Minion

Re: Is subs in a AMV a good thing or a bad thing?

Postby XStylus » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:28 am

OmegaBastard wrote:I am wondering to all you music video makers. Having subtitles in your videos a good thing or bad thing. I want to hear some of your views on the matter at hand.

Er... didn't I make an AMV that made fun of people who leave subtitles in their AMVs? [rolls eyes]

In judging entries for an AMV competition, I would automatically and gleefully DQ any video that had subtitles if there wasn't a legitimate reason for them to be there. It's unprofessional and a glaring distraction from what the video is supposed to convey.

Subtitles in an AMV means one of two things: A) The creator was too lazy to turn off subtitle mode on their DVDs which indicates profound stupidity, or more likely B) The creator was too much of a fucking leech to go buy DVDs and is using downloaded fansub source, and nothing will get me to DQ an entry faster than to find evidence that it was made from fansub source. That means I would also DQ any video that was "false letterboxed" to hide subtitles.
XStylus

Postby XStylus » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:31 am

lestheanimesarge wrote:
Douggie wrote:I liked the subs in "A Total Waste of 6 Minutes and 35 Seconds" though.. :D

Those weren't subs, they were bubbles, there's a difference :)

No, there were subs in there, and the cartoon network logo. :P
XStylus

Postby amvwizard » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:12 pm

this has been a thread a number of times...
amvwizard

Subs in an AMV

Postby Erokodomo » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:27 pm

Generally, subs in an AMV are the death of said video. They distract, annoy, and make the overall video look less professsional. Anytime I`ve ever grabbed a new video and found subs in it, I`ve immediately lost interest.

I can think of one instance where it`s actually a good idea, but it`s hard to use and risky. If you deliberately include a scene of speech in your AMV, you leave the subtitles in and include the audio from the source (whatever episode of anime you use). If done right, and NOT TOO FREQUENTLY...that little trick can allow you to include an otherwise unusable scene, as well as make your video stand out a little.
Doing this is NOT something for every AMV, only for those rare occasions when you really want to emphasize a point.

For an example, check out my video `Advent Kira`. I did it a few times to pinpoint key moments in the timeline of the anime. Yes, I`m aware of the shameless plug. But not many AMVs use this technique.

Hope that helps.
Erokodomo

Postby )Advent( » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:28 pm

xstylus wrote: B) The creator was too much of a fucking leech to go buy DVDs and is using downloaded fansub source, and nothing will get me to DQ an entry faster than to find evidence that it was made from fansub source. That means I would also DQ any video that was "false letterboxed" to hide subtitles.

Hah, I resent that, I live in a small town and don't exactly have loads of access to dvd's, and i refuse to use ebay. Fansub's are my bread and butter, though I at least take the time to find ones without subs or photoshop them out (a painful process) if i use them for amv's.

Anywho,

Any subs in am amv are bad (and im sure this has been said before) becuase they distract from the over all feel of the movie. They might even destroy the mood if what they are saying clash with the mood of the piece. nothing is worse then watching a serious amv with subs underneath portraying a comical scene. :shock:
)Advent(

Postby JaddziaDax » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:44 pm

You should be using legit sources (you paid for) because we don't advocate "piracy" here.

You don't have to buy DVDs from ebay, actually there are several respectable sites out there that have some very good deals/sales... Though in these moder times, it's just all too easy to find a place to buy them.
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!

Postby )Advent( » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:49 pm

Don't worry, I wouldent post anything up here without legit sources (hence no movies to my name), I'm in the proces of comming up with real footage. Fansubs make me feel cheap -.-
)Advent(

Postby JaddziaDax » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:53 pm

this forum is a good place to keep watch :3 cause people occasionally post sales there, and it can give you an idea of what to look for
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!

Postby XStylus » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:15 pm

)Advent( wrote:Hah, I resent that, I live in a small town and don't exactly have loads of access to dvd's, and i refuse to use ebay.

Try RightStuff.com, leech. Not only do they ship by mail, they frequently have sales that gets you DVDs cheaper than practically anywhere. And buying from eBay is even worse because now you're supporting not just leeches, but fucktards who have the audacity to take a profit from piracy.

Fansub's are my bread and butter

If that's truly your opinion, then you have zero place in anime or AMV fandom, leech.
Sakura Con 2014 - AMV Assistant Coordinator
Anime Expo 2014 - AMV Events Manager

"No margin for error." -Pwolf
"Darkness... is... coming." BZZZT!!! [Crowd ROFLs] -Yuusharo's vid as the power went out.
"Lol! Okay, some margin for error." -Pwolf
XStylus

Postby JaddziaDax » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:50 pm

not everyone who sells on eBay are bootleggers, but you do have to be careful to watch out for them there.
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!

Postby XStylus » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:00 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:not everyone who sells on eBay are bootleggers, but you do have to be careful to watch out for them there.

A large majority of it is, but yes, now and then one or two legit copies pop up among the deluge of bootlegs.

Here's a good site that gives info on how to spot bootlegs: http://www.digital.anime.org.uk/piratefaq.html

My beef is that I've been observing that people don't really seem to care so long as it's cheap (or free).
XStylus

Postby JaddziaDax » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:04 pm

I understand that... but still to say everyone from eBay are nothing but bootleggers is a bit harsh.. You gotta watch out for bootleggers on Amazon.com as well at least in the new/used parts... but not everyone who sells DVDs there are bootleggers either..

that site you got is pretty useful, and rightstuf's sales are the best... ADV often has some good sales as well O.o
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!

Postby Illwilledmarine » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:23 am

xstylus wrote:
JaddziaDax wrote:not everyone who sells on eBay are bootleggers, but you do have to be careful to watch out for them there.

A large majority of it is, but yes, now and then one or two legit copies pop up among the deluge of bootlegs.

Here's a good site that gives info on how to spot bootlegs: http://www.digital.anime.org.uk/piratefaq.html

My beef is that I've been observing that people don't really seem to care so long as it's cheap (or free).

I fell victim the first time I bought an anime on ebay... After that I virtually stayed away until I knew what the legit versions looked like before searching.

But anyways, subtitles, logos (especially Divx and CN logos) really make me lose interest, to the point of turning off an amv midway and deleting it the minute I see them. But I did see an amv here on the org that had subs made to translate the lyrics of the song used, I didn't mind it at the time cause I was curious as to what the lyrics were.
Illwilledmarine

Postby hyuuga10 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:43 am

Sometimes annoying, but it depends on how you use them
hyuuga10

PreviousNext

Return to General AMV