Is subs in a AMV a good thing or a bad thing?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
The Origonal Head Hunter
The Propheteer
Org Profile

Post by The Origonal Head Hunter » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:18 pm

davidka1 wrote:It all really depends on the song, which parts of the anime are being used, and whether the subs look good. Ie, I saw this not too bad AMV on boochsack about half a year ago, It was Naruto, the Naruto vs Sasuke valley of the end fight, and a song by either papa roach or three days grace.
(I was a bit of a Narutard back then)
I've got news for you...
RonnieDaking wrote:i like my anime like I like my women, from japan and speaking english
Boredom.

Pas
のヮの
Org Profile

Post by Pas » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:46 pm

davidka1 wrote:is you _ tube automatically changed to boochsack? (sorry, im a newb and newbs cannot edit on the forums...)
Nope. Only noobs can't say youtube d('-'d)

Also...
davidka1 wrote:btw, cartoon network (or at least 4!kids) is evil. subbed naruto > dubbed naruto. example: drunken fist style and sake being changed to loopy fist style and elixer. blood is now sweat (when Shikamara is fighting Tayuya, in the sub, they're both bleeding from the mouth a little, and in the dub, Shikamaru is sweating like it's 100º degrees!) I want to hurt whoever dubbed naruto really badly. Naruto isn't meant for kids! its a teen anime, it should be pg-13! still, I can't wait untill they dub Sai. I'd like to see that!
What does that have to do with anything?

Dragon/Roy
Org Profile

Post by Dragon/Roy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:42 am

text is alright sometimes , but subtitles are annoying

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:48 am

depends on how they are used...
and if they are from fansubs or if the person created them for them self.

Melichan923
Org Profile

Post by Melichan923 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:46 pm

It depends on what you mean. If you mean subtitled footage to begin with, then no, it does not look good. Subtitles like that never look good. The person watching will automatically start concentrating on what the characters are saying instead of the video itself. An exception to this would be if you added your own subtitles at a small section of the video to get a point across. I've seen some AMVs where English subtitles are added in to show the lyrics of a song with a different language to prove lyric-sync. Sometimes that works out really well. :)
Image Image

Tono_Fyr
Org Profile

Post by Tono_Fyr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:14 pm

When I download a video, if I see subs (Like, fansub subs, not "Hey, I put these here for comedic effect" subs), there's a high likelihood that I'm going to delete said video straight away.

Also:
davidka1 wrote:It all really depends on the song, which parts of the anime are being used, and whether the subs look good. Ie, I saw this not too bad AMV on boochsack about half a year ago, It was Naruto, the Naruto vs Sasuke valley of the end fight, and a song by either papa roach or three days grace. I also saw this AMV around then, maybe earlier, also Naruto (I was a bit of a Narutard back then), it had something to do with Sakura, and the subs just made it lose ... something, professionalism maybe. it would have been better without it.

btw, cartoon network (or at least 4!kids) is evil. subbed naruto > dubbed naruto. example: drunken fist style and sake being changed to loopy fist style and elixer. blood is now sweat (when Shikamara is fighting Tayuya, in the sub, they're both bleeding from the mouth a little, and in the dub, Shikamaru is sweating like it's 100º degrees!) I want to hurt whoever dubbed naruto really badly. Naruto isn't meant for kids! its a teen anime, it should be pg-13! still, I can't wait untill they dub Sai. I'd like to see that!
First off, what the hell are you talking about? You forgot to finish part of the first paragraph, and you've established that you don't actually know much about AMVs, outside of what you've seen on Youtube (a site which is decidedly not the place to go to see AMVs).

Secondly, that second paragraph has nothing to do with anything that's been mentioned in this thread, and all it does is show that you're an idiot. 4Kids didn't dub Naruto, and the edits are deemed necessary by Cartoon Network to not have conservative parents jumping down their throats. Also, Naruto is actually aimed at younger children in Japan, believe it or not. It doesn't help that it's a shitty series, either.

outlawed
Org Profile

Post by outlawed » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:39 am

Subs from old VHS fansub captures = old school status.

Logos from cartoon network = baller status.

If you can successfully combine these two you reach AMV demigod status.

Savia
Chocolate teapot
Org Profile

Post by Savia » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:50 pm

This video makes good, intentional use of on-screen text translation subtitles to help it match scenes and so on.

Just basically saying it's not impossible for subs in an AMV to be a good thing...

Although that doesn't stop it being very, very unlikely.
"A creator needs only one enthusiast to justify him." - Man Ray
"Restrictions breed creativity." - Mark Rosewater

A Freudian slip is where you say one thing, but mean your mother.

vegeto247
Org Profile

Post by vegeto247 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:41 am

The Wired Knight wrote:Unless they are

A) Translations of a song the viewer likely doesn't understand
B) Translations of what characters are saying either seriously or humerously
C) The lyrics to an AC DC song

they don't belong.
Or Hatebreed for that matter :lol: . I intentionally used text "subs" as a guide/sing-a-long for my comedy video because my AMV teacher keeps telling me that my music is not understandable by the common music listener. Granted it's not the best looking AMV out there since it was my first comedy attempt last year but you be the judge. Video: Lesson Lived . I apologize for the shameless plug but I'm using myself as an example.

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:53 am

outlawed wrote:Subs from old VHS fansub captures = old school status.

Logos from cartoon network = baller status.

If you can successfully combine these two you reach AMV demigod status.
Oh, that almost made me break out the old VHS tapes and actually use my computer's video input functionality. Too bad that I feel that we have enough DBZ videos here. :|

I do think I can find some Gundam Wing fansub VHS tapes around here, though...
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Return to “General AMV”