Winners of the 2008 Viewers' Choice Awards! [+ post mortem]

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:17 pm

Good Work guys.

Sweet, I totally beat that other VCA video for best lipsynch.

This was a totally cool experiment, hope you guys do it again next year.

Coffee 54
Org Profile

Post by Coffee 54 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:47 pm

I've been so busy this year I wasn't able to give the VCAs the time they deserved. I feel kinda bad about that, but I do think they were run beautifully this year, and no major controversies. At least I think there weren't... I might have missed them because of the aforementioned busy-ness. Good show at away rate.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:19 pm

Great job jasper-isis!

The Job's all yours now (for many years to come hopefully!) :D

Vlad

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Re: Winners of the 2008 Viewers' Choice Awards! [+ post mort

Post by dwchang » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:59 pm

First off, congratulations to all the winners (and nominees)!

To be honest, I haven't watched a lot of videos and thus did not participate, but regardless of what *anyone* thinks or says, they are hard earned wins and *all* the winners and nominees should feel proud.
jasper-isis wrote:Addition of VCA ribbon image to winning videos' descriptions (as a prize)
Neat!

I was actually going to reply 'color me jealous' until I went back to my own previous VCA winners and realized you retroactively added these to previous winners. Thanks!

Although I got 'physical prizes' last time, it's still a nice gesture and I appreciate it :).
jasper-isis wrote:I understand that many people have distanced themselves from the VCAs over the years due to the perception that some winners may not have been the "best" candidate for their awards.
Now although I don't always agree with the results of the VCA, I don't think that makes them as 'bad' or invalid as everyone paints them to be. It's like any sort of contest with an audience vote, you get your ONE vote and if people don't agree...guess what? You still voted and gave your input as a single viewer.

Just because people don't agree with your opinion doesn't make it invalid. That's like saying your vote is worth more than someone else's. The fact another video got more votes (i.e. a majority) means a lot more people enjoyed it and this is the...*viewer's* choice. You are *a* viewer and made your vote. Deal with it.

Again, this is the viewer's choice and the viewer's have spoken.

At the same time, I'm not saying there aren't problems and room for improvement, but frankly it got a lot better this year (especially how fast it was handled) and regardless, I always find them valuable. And even if I didn't, it's still nice to reward some people in our community.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Full Metal Sempai
Org Profile

Post by Full Metal Sempai » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:22 pm

Congratulations to everyone who participated and even more congratultions to those who won.There were(and will always be) some unexpected results,videos that in our humble opinion didn't deserve the place they took but we have a democracy,we all choose so no use complaining.(And that goes to my journal entry too^^)
Still,it was a rather good experience.It's my first time taking part in VCAs given that during last years,I didn't frequent a lot in org.My proposals now:

1)The vote count to be shown when the results are out in semifinals and finals.At least to let us know how big is the gap between the preferences.

2)There isn't a best "serious" choice.Videos depicting society's problems or the consequences of war for example fit into categories like action and drama most of times but still...

And so as not to forget,congratulations to the organizers too.^^

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:36 pm

Perhaps I am in the minority, but I'd prefer we *not* be given the vote totals. I have a feeling it'll just create more drama.

I'd be fine with blanket statements and non-descript things like "In the Drama category, it was very close with XY% separating 1st, 2nd and 3rd," but not the actual numbers or who was 2nd, 3rd, etc.
-Daniel

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:42 pm

dwchang wrote:Perhaps I am in the minority, but I'd prefer we *not* be given the vote totals. I have a feeling it'll just create more drama.
Drama over? How many votes person X got more than person Y? Or people doing statistical analysis to the results (especially if they're given as a vote/time graphs) to suggest evidence of "ballot stuffing" or something along those lines?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:42 pm

AMV competitions, the reputable ones anyways, generally have minimum guidelines that must be met before an AMV will be considered for any kind of finalist/semi-finalist status. Why? Because - I assume - to place individuals who dotted all their i's and crossed all their t's behind individuals who failed to do this, but might just be popular among the masses, is not fair.

/me deletes lengthy rant about messed up aspect ratios and subtitled footage being allowed past the front door of the VCAs.

That said, I otherwise thought the improvements to this year's competition were great and I hope it continues in the future. :)

Darius GQ
Org Profile

Post by Darius GQ » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:44 pm

My congratulations to all winners :wink:

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:52 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
dwchang wrote:Perhaps I am in the minority, but I'd prefer we *not* be given the vote totals. I have a feeling it'll just create more drama.
Drama over? How many votes person X got more than person Y? Or people doing statistical analysis to the results (especially if they're given as a vote/time graphs) to suggest evidence of "ballot stuffing" or something along those lines?
I won't go into any details (as to not create drama), but I know of multiple incidents where it was VERY close and folks who thought they were 2nd and were not even close. I could easily see that generating drama like "OMFG HOW CAN XYZ BE 2ND AND NOT ME?!??!"

It's an extreme case, but with this community, I wouldn't be surprised.
-Daniel

Return to “Site Announcements”