noob seeking advice

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.
realfakeadd
Org Profile

noob seeking advice

Post by realfakeadd » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:16 pm

i just started makin amv yesterday. i've made 2 amvs and put it on youtube. i use windows movie maker. i know the basic stuffs like trimming, splitting, transitions etc. but there r other stuffs i dont know how to do like for instance make the screen flash when theres a fast drum beat, or split the screen into two halves & play 2 clips at the same time. http://youtube.com/watch?v=oUPlb1SL5Io&feature=related i've watched this vid and got pretty lost at 1:33 to 1:44. how do i do that?? i just started yesterday so i need a lot of advice ^^ thx for reading. hope u will help me out.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:36 pm

chances are that you won't be able to pull off those things in WMM.
there's an xml file out there somewhere that allows you to overlay in WMM(which is about half of what those effects are,) but it's much easier to do if you have a program that has at least 2 video layers

as for the white strobe, IIRC there should be an effect in WMM that lets you do that.
It pretty much boils down to you gotta explore your program and play with all the little gizmos

oh yeah, and you should enter and upload your videos here

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:41 pm

Windows Movie Maker is a very limited video editor... if you are interested in advanced stuff, you should get another.
Here is a list of the video editors you can get. They go from the freeware to the most expensive one. I think a good choice for a starter might be Magix Movie Edit Pro. It's cheap (about 50/60 $), but you can do a lot of stuff.

Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Post by Autraya » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:19 pm

right click... effects fade in/out to black or white....
that's your drum beat flash, but it applies it to the start or end of the clip on the timeline... which means you need to cut your clips smaller.
or you can put a jpeg/png picture in any colour on the timeline and corssfade it between clips.

If you read the sticky it links you to additional effects for WMM called *PIP (picture in picture) which allow you to have 2 clips playing at once

because I'm at work i can't see the video you linked on youtube but i used those effects in this video if that's the type of effect you are referring too
new banzors in the making :p

Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Post by Autraya » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:22 pm

i should probably have mentioned to stay away from the "brady bunch" effect it's seriously broken and if you value your project file don't install it :?
new banzors in the making :p

SilkAMV
Org Profile

Post by SilkAMV » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:57 pm

Well you can definitely do the flashing effects. Here is my last vid \that I made with WMM.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=0BvZMixdz0k

What you do to do the lines is take a screenshot of the frame, edit it in paint or something, then put it back into the clip. As for flashing, just make a pure white, or pure black pic and split the clips every frame and insert them in between. Or you can just single out a frame and add an effect to it. This is also useful for lip syncing. Just take a screenshot of every position of the mouth.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:20 pm

i heard that if you are going to submit to cons pure white can break/ruin the projectors O.o

SilkAMV
Org Profile

Post by SilkAMV » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:53 pm

Well, he wanted to know how to do it. I don't really see anything wrong with it. But the projectors at cons must suck.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:49 pm

Silk_SK wrote:But the projectors at cons must suck.
Well, in smaller cons, yes; but some do have the budget to afford the $10,000 good ones.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Return to “Windows Movie Maker”