Final Cut Express?

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
spreet
Org Profile

Final Cut Express?

Post by spreet » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:40 pm

Can anyone give me a brief guide in how to edit with this thing? I finally got the FCE and was so excited to use it! But once I got everything set up, it's like NONE of my files are working right. I have to load them into iMovie to compress them into .DV format then drag them into FCE--but even so, the sound doesn't want to work. Everything new I bring up says 'unrendered'...I just need a little help with this. I've been using iMovie so I've very used to that. This is totally different. People say its easy to use but I beg to differ. Anyone care for some help please?

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:33 am

I need more information. What is your initial source material; Final Cut can handle uncompressed avi and uncompressed mov, as well as naked vobs.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

spreet
Org Profile

Post by spreet » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:39 am

Well it was originally .ogm but I converted them to .avi files.
Kionon wrote:I need more information. What is your initial source material; Final Cut can handle uncompressed avi and uncompressed mov, as well as naked vobs.

prYzm
Org Profile

Post by prYzm » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:26 am

what codec of an avi is it? (right click on the file, go properties, then click on the summary page, should be a part that says 'codec' divx/xvid/huffYUV/Uncompressed... etc something like that next to it)

obh04
Org Profile

Post by obh04 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:03 pm

Final Cut Express, as far as I know, can only handle DV and HDV if you have the new FCE with out rendering the file. FCE can also work with MOVs but with that you will have to render it in your timeline (Hit "Apple" and "R" to render). Look at the guides for Mac and follow them, but when comes the editing part you will have to do that. I do not think there are any guides for FCE.

spreet
Org Profile

Post by spreet » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:08 pm

I'm sorry. It doesn't give me that option. I tried everywhere to find properties. I checked 'get info' and all it did was give me basics, not a summary. Is there any other way to look up that info? Because I'm not sure what codec it's in. I'm sorry. I'm still really new to macs.

prYzm wrote:what codec of an avi is it? (right click on the file, go properties, then click on the summary page, should be a part that says 'codec' divx/xvid/huffYUV/Uncompressed... etc something like that next to it)

spreet
Org Profile

Post by spreet » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:10 pm

obh04 wrote:Final Cut Express, as far as I know, can only handle DV and HDV if you have the new FCE with out rendering the file. FCE can also work with MOVs but with that you will have to render it in your timeline (Hit "Apple" and "R" to render). Look at the guides for Mac and follow them, but when comes the editing part you will have to do that. I do not think there are any guides for FCE.
Yeah, I converted one to .mov and it still came up as unrendered and I didn't know what to do. But if hitting apple and R is all I have to do then I will certainly give that a shot. I'm pretty sure I can figure out the editing part on my own. It's just the formatting and converting that's keeping me back. If I can get through this, the rest I will be able to do.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:30 pm

spreet wrote:Yeah, I converted one to .mov and it still came up as unrendered and I didn't know what to do. But if hitting apple and R is all I have to do then I will certainly give that a shot. I'm pretty sure I can figure out the editing part on my own. It's just the formatting and converting that's keeping me back. If I can get through this, the rest I will be able to do.
Ooooooooooooh. I misunderstood. You know, I always went ahead and rendered, and then rerendered and saved with every cut, just like I do in premiere, so I never really noticed this as a problem. When you move the timeline bar, it should show footage. It should only not show the footage if you press play. You can edit that way, but I always just rendered so I didn't have to.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

spreet
Org Profile

Post by spreet » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:46 am

Kionon wrote:
spreet wrote:Yeah, I converted one to .mov and it still came up as unrendered and I didn't know what to do. But if hitting apple and R is all I have to do then I will certainly give that a shot. I'm pretty sure I can figure out the editing part on my own. It's just the formatting and converting that's keeping me back. If I can get through this, the rest I will be able to do.
o. I misunderstood. You know, I always went ahead and rendered, and then rerendered and saved with every cut, just like I do in premiere, so I never really noticed this as a problem. When you move the timeline bar, it should show footage. It should only not show the footage if you press play. You can edit that way, but I always just rendered so I didn't have to.
Okay, I have a new problem now. It took forever to render the .mov file in the timeline. I have 2 different sequences up. I tried bring the .mov file (which was in sequence 2) over to sequence 1 and it shows up as unrendered. After all that wait, it doesn't want to work. This thing is driving me crazy. And the sound lags too!

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:29 pm

Your project settings probably do not match your footage.

Try setting up a new project using the steps in this final cut guide and see if you still have problems.
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

Return to “Mac Software”