2008 Viewers' Choice Awards [OVER!]

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:04 am

Brings up a good point. Are multi-editor videos (ie; any video with more than one person listed) eligible for any category? I only bring it up because I really don't remember any of the big MEPs ever being eligible for nomination for the individual categories (if they were, wouldn't AMV Hell 3 at least have been nominated for Best Comedy in 06?). Or is it simply coincidence/user-understanding that prevented these nominations? Bringing this to light would certainly help clarify the distinction. Because if they are NOT eligible for the individual categories, what is it that set them apart? Since if I'm understanding correctly, currently there ONLY thing that defines a collaboration or multi-editor video or what have you is simply the database showing more than one editor. And if those were ineligible then, but other collaborations were, who went through and singled them out?

To be honest, the ONLY reason I even thought about this distinction (other than Ileia's idea for Best Duo) was the fact that the category name (in the VCA Forum anyway) was labeled as "Best Collaboration" instead of "Best Multi-Editor Project/Video" as it has been called in earlier years, which to me was meant to give special recognition to those bigger projects specifically.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:38 am

Well at the moment I've heard three theories. First being that anything with more than one creator is only available for best collab. Second being that MEPs are eligible for every category in addition to best collab. And third someone mentioned that previous years they thought anything over three people was best MEP only and anything with less creators than that was in the regular categories. So, can we get an admin to clear up what exactly fits in the best collab group and if MEPs can compete in the other categories as well?

Personally I think the third way is the best to way to go so if it isn't how things are perhaps it's how things should be.

Darius GQ
Org Profile

Post by Darius GQ » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:56 am

Hmm. Unfortunately we were unaware of the rules, with regards to several accounts on a-m-v.org, which is why we are apologizing in advance in case there are some problems in this regard. The reason for which we did not add our separate profiles to the amv “Spoil”: we were worried that the same mix up will happen as last year at VCA 2007. Our work “Freaks” was for some reason entered for the competition as MEP, although we wanted to apply for best action of the year. Naturally, we could not win anything as a MEP, while at the same time missing out on “best action of the year” nomination. Which indeed was very sad. This is the main reason for our action. Speaking of multiple accounts, one of Scorpions ULTD. Also has an old account, which got abandoned after the “Whisper of the Beast”, since guys don’t work together anymore. This didn’t stop them from participating in VCA 2005. To cut a long story short, we would definitely hope to not get disqualified due to the multiple account reason. And of course, we are not aiming for the “Best Collaborative Video” nomination, as it would’ve been wrong.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:09 am

not to mention sierra and silver moon have accounts together, and if i recall correctly so does shining finger studios O:

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:40 am

I wouldn't worry about the multiple accounts thing... there should be stipulations

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:20 pm

personally I don't think 1 track colab videos are much different than 1 track single editor videos from a viewer's perspective. whats so special to reward? less effort? yea it's a different way of thinking but to the average viewer I highly doubt that they will notice any strong difference between the two aside from a few extra names on the creator list.

However I think multi-track meps like Ayumix and AMV Hell should have their own category, not only due to the number of people who will vote for themselves but because as was said before the "Jack of all trades, master of none" effect...

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:20 pm

AtomX wrote:To be honest, the ONLY reason I even thought about this distinction (other than Ileia's idea for Best Duo) was the fact that the category name (in the VCA Forum anyway) was labeled as "Best Collaboration" instead of "Best Multi-Editor Project/Video" as it has been called in earlier years, which to me was meant to give special recognition to those bigger projects specifically.
The reason I renamed it to "Best Collaborative Video" was to accommodate for projects like Novem, which is a legitimate entry in the category but isn't the type of video to first jump into people's minds when they think "MEP".

Smaller scale collaborations have been allowed to compete in other categories, now that I think of it. I don't know how the database is set up to accommodate for that, though. I'd have to ask Vlad or Doki how they did it last year.

Tell ya what, what if we make a rough compromise this year and just rename the category to "Best Large-Scale Collaborative Project" and define large-scale as having seven editors or more? Collaborations with six or less editors would still get to compete in other categories. Assuming I can get someone to code this, how does that sound?

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:48 pm

To be frank, I really do not mind if there is no special award for collaboration videos (ie; collaborative videos NOT under the big-MEP umbrella). I was simply concerned that because the category was being singled out as being specific to "collaborations" and not "MEPs," that it might potentially mean that it would be the only category it would show up in. If this isn't the case, I am certainly fine with not having a separate category (though I wouldn't be opposed to it either).
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:36 pm

After asking around I found out that previous years seem to have been 3 or more people was in the Best MEP category and not eligible for any other category. Collabs of 2 people were treated the same as solo vids where they could be in all the other categories.

I think that solves the issue of small collabs, there's no need to a special category for them when they can already compete in all the regular categories. Although I'd suggest bumping it up to 3 people being treated as normal instead of 2 but going all the way up to six people seems like it's taking it to far. I can think of several projects with six or less editors that were clearly 'meps' instead of regular videos.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:24 pm

jasper-isis wrote:Tell ya what, what if we make a rough compromise this year and just rename the category to "Best Large-Scale Collaborative Project" and define large-scale as having seven editors or more? Collaborations with six or less editors would still get to compete in other categories. Assuming I can get someone to code this, how does that sound?
I feel this is an adequate compromise. It isn't everything I'd like, but that's the very definition of compromise.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “Site Announcements”