Rotoscoping

Toshiyan
Org Profile

Rotoscoping

Post by Toshiyan » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:48 am

Um I'm just wanted to know if I've got the right idea from one topic I've read so far.

You can take every frame in a scene that you want of a character and export it into photoshop and cut out what you don't want, like the background, and stick all those frames back into premiere in order. And then you'd have your character cut out and doing the action from the original clip?

Also doesn't that mean if your scene is 5 seconds long and if the FPS are lets say 30, you'd be editing 150 frames?

I also remember hearing about masking with AE, would AE eliminate having to go through each from? or would you have to mask each from still?

Help appreciated.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:03 am

1) there is already a thread for this
2) it was the first thread on the board
3) For AE you need to essentially animate the mask frame by frame (by changing the points) instead of starting from scratch each time.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:02 am

If you're going to mask, I recommend you learn about the pen tool and how to save yourself a lot of time doing this kind of thing in Photoshop.

otbwavelength
Org Profile

Post by otbwavelength » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:34 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:3) For AE you need to essentially animate the mask frame by frame (by changing the points) instead of starting from scratch each time.
you don't have to do that though, i just cut the layer every time the animation changed, and created an entirely new mask for each layer, worked a lot damn faster for me than trying to zoom in and see if i had moved the mask correctly, etc.

not to mention having to add in or take out points if the animation's changed significantly, this saves having to do that also

then just pre-compose it into a composition so then it all becomes one layer, done lol

doxyarulez90
Org Profile

D agrees.

Post by doxyarulez90 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:44 pm

i agree with DriftRoot.

Koopiskeva
|:
Location: Out There Occupation: Fondling Private Areas ..of the Nation.
Org Profile

Post by Koopiskeva » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:01 pm

DriftRoot wrote:If you're going to mask, I recommend you learn about the pen tool and how to save yourself a lot of time doing this kind of thing in Photoshop.
I got to average ~3 minutes per frame when I seriously got going with a certain video. |:
Hi.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:30 pm

ITT, 2 month necroposts followed by 3 month necroposts.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:46 pm

The most rotoscoping I've done in one video is about 80% of 4 minutes... And yes, that is about 6+ months of work. As mentioned, you only need to do that frames and parts that actually move or change, and doing it in After effets with masks is a lot faster I think then importing into Photoshop...

Make sure you are VERY happy with the layout, look and editing before going about and cutting things out

Vlad

Side Swipe
Org Profile

Photoshop

Post by Side Swipe » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:17 pm

i did this with the Melancholy of haruhi suzumia Dance special

in the clean version she starts out dancing but there is that big black distracting H I wanted it gone so I did Just that I frame by frame Screenshot it but I made note of what frames were repeted like it may go

frame 40
41+42
43+44
44+45

so you have 9 frames but only have to edit 6 in photoshop so for 5 seconds yes you have 150 frames but you may only actually have to edit 90

KiraxKun
Org Profile

Post by KiraxKun » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:10 pm

how long will it take to cut out a clip that is 15 second?

Return to “Effects & Techniques”