no one posted yet I'll start with a noob question

nz87
Org Profile

no one posted yet I'll start with a noob question

Post by nz87 » Fri Jun 28, 2002 4:32 pm

ok I made a new music video, and I've tried my hardest to compress it (MY hardest maybe you can do better....what am I taling about of course you can) as much as possable I got it to 23 meg..... I believe angelfire is at 20 meg I would prefer not to have to different site with half on each. I even tried RARing, Zipping, and Winace and couldn't save more than 1 meg. Anyone know any other site like angel fire (FREE) with like a 25 meg limit or higher.... Thanks for your time :wink:

RMS Oceanic
Org Profile

Post by RMS Oceanic » Fri Jun 28, 2002 4:36 pm

You know, with WinRAR, you can split the video into two files. I'm not exactly sure how, but that should solve your problems. To unzip it again, both files need to be in the same folder.

BTW, some advice. From experience, it's a bad idea to ask about hosting/webspace.

nz87
Org Profile

ok

Post by nz87 » Fri Jun 28, 2002 4:39 pm

ok I won't ask about web hosting anymore, but here's the thing I know EXACTLY how to split with rar but I'll have to have two site...... I would really like to avoid that I feel it may seem to much to some people for one video. Maybe that's just me and crazy head I'm probably going to rar it anyways.... 2 sites is better than none.....

RMS Oceanic
Org Profile

Post by RMS Oceanic » Fri Jun 28, 2002 4:49 pm

Oh wait, you mean all the space you get is 20MB? Oh, I thought you meant the file size limit.

Well, I'd recommend Topcities to you. You get 150 MB free, and 600 MB Bandwidth monthly. However, the file size limit is 900 KB, so a lot of splitting would be required, unless you upgrade.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Fri Jun 28, 2002 4:53 pm

a) 600mb of bandwidth is *nothing* in the amv world

b) You can always compress a video more, what software, codec, resolution and bitrate are you compressing to?

If in doubt read the unofficial FAQ (below) and the site's guides.

Wonka
Org Profile

Post by Wonka » Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:13 pm

600 Mb is indeed, nothing. Try http://www.alwayswebhosting.com , they have been hooking me up pretty good. 60 Gb a month is about right for an AMV site.

Senta
Org Profile

Post by Senta » Fri Jun 28, 2002 10:09 pm

Hey Wonka,
www.alwayswebhosting.com's terms of service says that they don't allow copyrighted material. How do you get around that?

Wonka
Org Profile

Post by Wonka » Fri Jun 28, 2002 10:14 pm

I just talked with the head tech guy and told him exactly what I do, and he said that it would be fine.

On a separate subject, is my site banner sig realy that big for you guys? Ive had several people complain, and I dont want to screw with anybody, but its only 60kb! I mean, its tiny, I dont get it. But ahh well, if it realy bothers people, Ill take it down.

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:08 pm

nz87, I had 3 people download a video that was 16 megs yesterday and my site went under for 2 hours on bandwidth overuse. Looks like we need better hosts fast. Anyway if you're trying to compress heavily you can't use anything better than RealVideo 9. If you need the prog to encode in that I can get it to you, at 320 x 240 512 kbps is totally artifact free and you can go under 384 with decent quality if you want it real small.

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Sat Jun 29, 2002 1:29 am

Video dub is the best I've found for compressing. Other than that, just mess with your statistics till the file size comes down. I got a 400 meg AMV down to 40 after about five minutes of random option choosing.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”