Problems with Youtube and iMovies?

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
pure_as_sin
Org Profile

Problems with Youtube and iMovies?

Post by pure_as_sin » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:41 pm

I have made many amvs over the last year or two, and most of them have ended up on youtube at one time or another. Something that has always bugged me, though, is that my amvs always have bad sound and video quality when I upload them. Not so bad that they're unwatchable, but definately worse then when they're in iMovies, and it detracts from the overall affect quite a bit.

I use iMovies to make all of my amvs, and when I'm done, I export the movie as a quicktime .mov file to upload it to youtube.

Has anyone else had this problem, or can you help me brainstorm ways to solve it? I just finished an amv that I'm especially proud of, and I would like to avoid screwing it up in the transition to youtube if I can help it.

If you want to see exactly what I mean, here's the link to where most of my amvs are posted - http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=jphowell&p=r
(Ones made by "K-cho" are by me, ones made by "Snowy" are my sister, but they both have the same problems. I think you can especially see it in the Hatori/Kanna amv)

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:45 pm

truthfully we are not big fans of youtu<a></a>be around here (hence the word filter) and one of those reasons is that technically amvs violate their tos, another of the reasons is that it seems no matter what the format the tube site will pretty much ALWAYS output very poor low quality.

if you want to know how to get the maximum quality on the tube you should look up the formats on their site... they have it listed in their FAQ.

Pas
のヮの
Org Profile

Post by Pas » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:03 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:pas there are no rules about discussing youtub<b></b>e and how to get maximum quality out put there... instead of trolling every member that happens to mention "the site that must not be named cept in word filter" why don't you try explaining the reasons behind what we do and why we do it.
I was expecting someone else to do it :B

It gives me a good opportunity to use my sig, which is a rare occurance.

Apologies to p_a_s o3o, however, you should not expect anything with quality if you plan on uploading on youtube, seeing as it can de-sync your audio, and it also converts your video which results in a quality loss.

You can only hope to upload the cleanest possible encode and see how it turns out, though for a 320x240 it's not gonna look great regardless.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:05 pm

pas yer a newb that likes to give other newbs a hard time :P

Pas
のヮの
Org Profile

Post by Pas » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:07 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:pas yer a newb that likes to give other newbs a hard time :P
Touche. I shall now put that in my sig :up:

pure_as_sin
Org Profile

Post by pure_as_sin » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:10 pm

Apology accepted. :)

Well, in that case, are there any other sites anybody would recommend to post amvs on?

I really want to post the one I just finished as soon as I can, it's one of the best ones I've made yet...

Pas
のヮの
Org Profile

Post by Pas » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:12 pm

pure_as_sin wrote:Well, in that case, are there any other sites anybody would recommend to post amvs on?
You do realize that's exactly what this site exists for, right?

Ninja mother-figure
Org Profile

Post by 76 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:23 pm

pure_as_sin wrote:Apology accepted. :)

Well, in that case, are there any other sites anybody would recommend to post amvs on?

I really want to post the one I just finished as soon as I can, it's one of the best ones I've made yet...
I loled.

dear pure-as-sin, please take a look at the name of this site, then take a look at my signature, then, click my signature, (VERY IMPORTANT>>) read the rules, then go to the faq or search and look-up how to upload your vids for free to the org.(in case your wondering, when people say "the org" on this site, they are refurring to the site itself.)
upload your vid, and if you want ops or any sort of input, go to AMV announcments, and read all of the stickies.
and post your vid accordingly.

any more questions? I'd be glad to help with anything I can, just pm me....

look below any of my posts(that my posts, the posts with "76" next to them are mine) and you should notice a few buttons, on of them says, "pm" click it and proceed to type a message in the big box that appears
Everything came from nothing, therefore everything is nothing.

There's nothing to worry about.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:25 pm

this should help you a lot with how to use this site. As pas said, this site is actually dedicated to cataloging every amv ever made so it's the perfect place to host/list your video.

and yea, we tend to get really angsty when people don't at the least list them here but try to only post links to other sites, and THAT is against the amv announcement rules.

we also usually prefer to download the video file rather than just watch a streaming file

Return to “Mac Software”