Total n00b with problems

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.
Creative Name
Org Profile

Total n00b with problems

Post by Creative Name » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:14 pm

Hello world,
I posted here two years ago, and now I actually started going further along with making an AMV. I appreciate all the guidelines and previous threads that have gotten me thus far along. I am very pleased with my storyboard and the scenes I found. I sliced and diced and converted my clips to lagarith avis with virtual dub mod. However, when I try to add stuff to my video timeline/storyboard and press play to see if things are in synch, wmm freezes... or it'll play the storyboard and then freeze. Any thoughts? Does the computer need more time to think? Do I need a newer faster computer? Did I overlook something?
This is pretty frustrating stuff. In my brain the video is done, but my computer tells me otherwise :P

Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Post by Autraya » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:34 pm

ok, a new computer will help, but WMM generally doesn' work too well with Lagarith (from my and a few others experience, so I use huffyuv). that said the program does freeze alot and playback gets jerky/not real time.
So i think I'm trying to say that regardless of how good your computer is WMM alway will have palyback issues.
If you shut down other programs and free up some virtual memory it may help a bit.
But a good trick is to export often from WMM and then it's easier to see if you are on track
new banzors in the making :p

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:03 pm

the long way would be to do a low ql export (aka "make movie") after each edit, or at various "check points" you set for yourself then go back and fix them... it will lengthen your process by a lot but imho you will achieve better results...

and like Aut said: use huffyuv if it still lags then use that ^ method

ShakingHeart786
Org Profile

Post by ShakingHeart786 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:06 pm

Make sure the song is WAV
Make sure video is Windows Format
Make sure your PC has NO background tasks, and has MAXIMUM Virtual Memory output.
Make sure your PC has a lot of RAM.

WMM can do wonders when you learn how to fully use it... trust me, I've seen what it can truly do myself. It can be professional, but has its bugs. And as they said, save as a small vid every once in a while and check out how you do. When it freezes, though, when you find the points in the timeline in which it freezes, pause before it, and through it. It works for me.
LIKE, 404, D00D! Signature not findaficated!

Return to “Windows Movie Maker”