AMV's as benchmarks

lister007
Org Profile

AMV's as benchmarks

Post by lister007 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:06 pm

OK what I would like is people to post AMVs of various quality and compressions, then a desciption of how it plays on thier comp and what spec thier pc/laptop is, that way I can use them as bench marks for my pc :lol:

Obviously this is easiest if you already have some around which are like HD and work really well, HD but stutter, Really low quality and stutter or ok quality but your on a p3 or something. etc. Thanks for your help!

(This is because I am comparing between graphics cards and driver versions and really can't tell what should look like etc)

So..
Link to video
Resoluiton, compression (ok if you don't put this up cos can get that info myself)
How it looks on your computer- e.g, really high quality one of the best I've seen,
Any problems, e.g does stutter at 0.31 and then the whole way through
Computer spec, ram, cpu speed (how many cores), graphics card, speed of weakest link, eg, playing from a 54000 rpm external hardrive USB one

Thank you!!!!
Spatchcock..........A dressed and split chicken for roasting or grilling on a spit.
Bring it
Berserk or crazy...??? (image shack sucks will have a banner for this too when it doesn't!)

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:01 pm

my rig won't even stutter on uncompressed footage, you're probably better off looking at game benchmarks.

drivers usually won't lead to any noticeable improvement in display quality.
if you're curious about how video cards compare to eachother, look at the tom's hardware vga charts

a high end video card won't really help you play back amv's, or really help in rendering (save for 3d rendering...but if you really need tons of power for that you're better off getting a nVidia quadro or ATI fireGL card)

right now my rig specs are:
Athlon64 X2 3800+ (s939, overclocked from 2.0 to 2.4GHz)
2GB OCZ platinum dual-channel ddr400 (2-3-2-5, 2.75V)
1GB corsair valueselect dual-channel ddr400 (2-3-2-5, 2.75V)
2x 36.7GB raptors in raid0 (10,000 rpm)
1x 320GB WD caviar (7200rpm, this is what I play my amvs off of)
HIS Radeon x1950pro (factory overclocked to 590 core / 770 mem)

if you want to hear my analysis of your rig just post your specs

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:06 pm

.. well, if it helps any, Kariudo's is a Dual Core 3800+ and does not stall/shutter; my online computer is a single core Intel 2.4gig Processor with 1gig ram and an EIDE 100gig Hard Drive and mine shutters at 720i Video's when they are encoded X264/MP4 video!
.. Its a Compaq EVO-330/530 all in one from the year 2003 so I "don't" expect it to keep up with most of the Newer Stuff. Its a piece of junk in 2007 but faster than a 386DX33 on the Internet :P

lister007
Org Profile

Post by lister007 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:03 am

cool this is just what I needed...Cheers!
Spatchcock..........A dressed and split chicken for roasting or grilling on a spit.
Bring it
Berserk or crazy...??? (image shack sucks will have a banner for this too when it doesn't!)

Return to “Hardware Discussion”