ATI Radeon 8500dv?

Drawshot
Org Profile

ATI Radeon 8500dv?

Post by Drawshot » Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:31 pm

I have a friend that is upgrading his computer to do some video editing, and he is considering the Radeon 8500dv. Since all the video footage I have used is just ripped off of dvds, I really don't know too much about video capture cards. But, I agreed to research it a bit for him. The card looks like a pretty sweet deal, it's a decent price and it has all the inputs and outputs necessary. I have searched on the forums for anyone here using it, but I haven't found any mention of the 8500dv.

Is there anyone here using it? ...and is it any good?

Drawshot
Org Profile

Post by Drawshot » Sat Nov 02, 2002 1:18 pm

Or... Does anyone know of any hardware review sites that would review this card from a video editor's perspective, rather than a gamer's perspective? All the reviews I can find discuss very briefly the input/output features, and devote most of the review to gaming benchmark comparisons.

bloodyfang
Org Profile

Post by bloodyfang » Sat Nov 02, 2002 1:32 pm

did you check out the hardware information page ?
An ocean of dust and randomly strung together pieces of hydrogen, serving no purpose other than allowing all of us to continue in our misery, doomed to an enternity of petty squabbles and meaningless ego trips, until the whole thing one day explodes and starts the whole shebang all over again. - Chaos_Angel

Drawshot
Org Profile

Post by Drawshot » Sat Nov 02, 2002 2:05 pm

yeah...

There are quite a lot of ATI cards listed there, but I don't see any that would be the 8500dv. It's possible that one of those listings is mislabled, but none of them are descriptive enough to lead me to that conclusion.

Sub0
Org Profile

Post by Sub0 » Sat Nov 02, 2002 6:27 pm

the AIW 8500DV uses the same vdo chip (Rage Theatre) since the original All in wonder. Only thing that has changed from the original AIW to the 8500 versions are the graphics core... well the 8500dv does have a digital tuner but that is all that's different. www.tomshardware.com would have a thourough review of the card and all or it's features for a given (INTEL, that intel hoar-bunny...) processor.
The AIW 9700 is different as it uses the Rage Theatre 2 chip.

bloodyfang
Org Profile

Post by bloodyfang » Sat Nov 02, 2002 8:52 pm

Drawshot wrote:yeah...

There are quite a lot of ATI cards listed there, but I don't see any that would be the 8500dv. It's possible that one of those listings is mislabled, but none of them are descriptive enough to lead me to that conclusion.
i just though i'd ask cause you said nothing about looking anywhere but hte forum and alot of people miss the search/software/hardware links. :oops:
An ocean of dust and randomly strung together pieces of hydrogen, serving no purpose other than allowing all of us to continue in our misery, doomed to an enternity of petty squabbles and meaningless ego trips, until the whole thing one day explodes and starts the whole shebang all over again. - Chaos_Angel

Drawshot
Org Profile

Post by Drawshot » Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:50 pm

bloodyfang wrote:i just though i'd ask cause you said nothing about looking anywhere but hte forum and alot of people miss the search/software/hardware links. :oops:
It's no big deal... At first glance it looks like the 8500dv might be there with a slightly abreviated name. But after reading through the couple of entries that could be it, they are either definitely not about the same card, or not enough information is given in the review to make a determination.
Sub0 wrote:the AIW 8500DV uses the same vdo chip (Rage Theatre) since the original All in wonder. Only thing that has changed from the original AIW to the 8500 versions are the graphics core... well the 8500dv does have a digital tuner but that is all that's different. www.tomshardware.com would have a thourough review of the card and all or it's features for a given (INTEL, that intel hoar-bunny...) processor.
The AIW 9700 is different as it uses the Rage Theatre 2 chip.
hmmm.... well in that case, I guess some of the reviews are kinda useful then. Seems like it will take a little tweaking to get the best out of the video input features of the 8500dv. I just wish that the reviews for the other AIW cards were more detailed. Hopefully some of the problems that were mentioned have been solved with newer drivers.

Oh well, it looks like my friend has already ordered the card anyway. So, it looks like we will find out how good it is first hand. Maybe I'll post a review.

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:54 pm

Just make sure the card can disable macro-vision.
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

Return to “Hardware Discussion”