Genshiken

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
User avatar
paizuri
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 7:15 pm
Location: All hail me, the BEEFMASTER!!!!!
Contact:
Org Profile

Genshiken

Postby paizuri » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:22 pm

This is the official Genshiken discussion thread. Since seasons 1 and 2 are in the same continuity, they may both be discussed here.

Official website (japanese)

User avatar
Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:50 am
Status: Melancholy
Location: SOS-Dan HQ
Org Profile

Postby Willen » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:33 am

There was never a Genshiken thread? Unbelievable! And yes, I was too lazy to request for one...

Well, at the current episode (S2-4), it looks like this series is starting to shift gears a bit.

The three OVA episodes are IMO, required viewing since they introduce "otaku-hating" Ogiue (who may be unfamiliar to the anime viewers who don't read the manga). She's a focal character like Saki was in season 1. Plus, Kuchiki joins Genshiken from the anime club (where we were introduced to him in season 1) and events are set up for the S2 episode 4 (although S2 ep.2 touches on it also). It also establishes the the conflict between Ogiue and Ohno.

I'm really looking forward to episode 5. :D
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

User avatar
ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:04 am
Status: 3D
Location: The Laboratory
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby ZephyrStar » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:35 am

Seconded on the OVA...I got more out of it than I did the whole first season, it was very enjoyable. I've still got ep 4 to watch when I get back from work today, looking forward to it :)

User avatar
Full Metal Sempai
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Athens, Greece
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby Full Metal Sempai » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:01 am

One couple set in ep4.Ok,who's coming next?
By the way,the opening of the second season features 2 new characters apart from the ones we know and who the ones who have been introduced in the OVAs...

User avatar
Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:14 am
Location: Frying Pan. Destination: Fire.
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby Orwell » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:49 pm

With such an interesting set up, why does this show Fail so hard. It's appalling how much potential they've slaughtered with this show, then I remember it's anime and who gives a fuck.
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

User avatar
Full Metal Sempai
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Athens, Greece
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby Full Metal Sempai » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:59 am

Hahahaha,ep 5 with Ogiue was so much fun.
This girl's fantasy is running wild when it comes to yaoi...

User avatar
Yarry
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Denmark
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby Yarry » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:47 am

Full Metal Sempai wrote:Hahahaha,ep 5 with Ogiue was so much fun.
This girl's fantasy is running wild when it comes to yaoi...


Aww man. She's twisted :shock:

I had to skip a few scenes in this episode. I guess it was too "intense" for me :?

User avatar
Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:50 am
Status: Melancholy
Location: SOS-Dan HQ
Org Profile

Postby Willen » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:14 am

Episode 5 was GOLD.

[spoiler]Ogiue's blush at overhearing Madarame and Sasahara's conversation outside of the clubroom. (What was she thinking? And what was she expecting to see when she opened the door? :o )

Kasukabe thinking that Ogiue was drawing pictures of Sasahara because of a more <s>fundamental</s> normal reason. Although I suspect she does know the real reason, but wants Ogiue to actually say it. (Oh, I'm sure she'd love to see Ogiue hook up with Sasahara too.)

Note the dominant/submissive* pecking order in Ogiue's fantasy of the Genshiken members (most to least/least to most):

(Kasukabe)
Kousaka
Kugayama
Tanaka
Sasahara
Madarame
Kuchiki

This is from:
Sasahara > Madarame
Madarame > Kuchiki
Kugayama > Madarame
Tanaka > Madarame (and by their conversation, Tanaka > Sasahara)
Kousaka > Sasahara (and by the events of the scene, Kasukabe > Kousaka)

You'll notice that the list also goes from least to most otaku. I put Kugayama above Tanaka since in that scene he's clearly dominant and I'd think Ogiue would have more respect for him as a fellow doujinshi artist and hence have him higher on the list. And where's Ohno? Well, she barely makes an appearance in Ogiue's fantasy and while sharing some hobbies (reading yaoi manga), their disagreements on some subjects makes Ohno a non-character. Plus, she's female and this is yaoi, so she'd be a plot point anyways.

* Normally, one would use the seme and uke terms here but Madarame and Kuchiki are both uke in Ogiue's bath scene and obviously, Kuchiki is the submissive one there.[/spoiler]
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

User avatar
BigFattyPlus
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:29 pm
Location: In the depths of... where was I again?
Org Profile

Postby BigFattyPlus » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:23 am

When I first watched his series, it made "FINALLY" realize that I, too, and an otaku. I love it, the way the club works. And how they get that poor kid in the beginning, so embarrasingly funny, especially when I realized that O would have been doing the same thing, except much more obviously. I don't care if people see me '"reading" doujins. Heck, even my mother knows, though I make it a point NOT to read them infront of her, lest I see them be chucked in the trash.
"Suffer the little ones, for they may yet rise up and beat you seenseless." Druid's Call, from Magic: The Gathering

User avatar
Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:50 am
Status: Melancholy
Location: SOS-Dan HQ
Org Profile

Postby Willen » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:26 am

Episode 6 is another winner!

[spoiler]The tables are turned on Ogiue: the guys start talking about eroges (hentai games) and it leads to a conversation about her and eventually what kind of character she would be in an eroge. And unlike Ogiue's yaoi fantasy about the Genshiken guys where the real-life models don't (so far) know about the existence of the story, this time the subject is around to overhear the fiction as it's being formulated. Remember, curiosity killed the cat... ;)

Ohno is slowly pushing Ogiue to admit to also being a yaoi-loving otaku. I'm beginning to believe that she's enjoying getting a rise out of Ogiue. What a scary face Kanako!

You know that this is Ohno's tough-love, and like everyone else want's Ogiue to open up about her otaku nature. Ogiue and Ohno would be great friends if Chika would just admit to herself and everyone else that she is also an otaku.

Ogiue's reactions to being in the sea of otaku and embarrassed expressions are so adorable. Especially when she lapses into using her tohoku accent. The ending scene with Ogiue blushing (even the tops of her ears were red!), stammering and switching accents was sooooooo cute.[/spoiler]

Looks like we're in for some drama next episode...
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

User avatar
Yarry
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Denmark
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby Yarry » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:44 am

Willen wrote:Episode 6 is another winner!

[spoiler]The tables are turned on Ogiue: the guys start talking about eroges (hentai games) and it leads to a conversation about her and eventually what kind of character she would be in an eroge. And unlike Ogiue's yaoi fantasy about the Genshiken guys where the real-life models don't (so far) know about the existence of the story, this time the subject is around to overhear the fiction as it's being formulated. Remember, curiosity killed the cat... ;)

Ohno is slowly pushing Ogiue to admit to also being a yaoi-loving otaku. I'm beginning to believe that she's enjoying getting a rise out of Ogiue. What a scary face Kanako!

You know that this is Ohno's tough-love, and like everyone else want's Ogiue to open up about her otaku nature. Ogiue and Ohno would be great friends if Chika would just admit to herself and everyone else that she is also an otaku.

Ogiue's reactions to being in the sea of otaku and embarrassed expressions are so adorable. Especially when she lapses into using her tohoku accent. The ending scene with Ogiue blushing (even the tops of her ears were red!), stammering and switching accents was sooooooo cute.[/spoiler]

Looks like we're in for some drama next episode...


I agree, this episode rocked :D

User avatar
Full Metal Sempai
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Athens, Greece
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby Full Metal Sempai » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:13 am

Hell yeah,ep6 continues the ultimate laughter of ep5 but this time it does it in a more serious approach.Ogiue is yet again the subject of humiliation...
Can't wait for ep7 now!! 8-) 8-)

User avatar
Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:50 am
Status: Melancholy
Location: SOS-Dan HQ
Org Profile

Postby Willen » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:18 am

Episode 7, more than the previous episodes, is very character-driven.

Three members graduate and leave Genshiken so it's kind of a melancholy episode. The series is definitely shifting it's focus now.

Don't worry, there's still some hilarious comedy.

I died laughing when Kasukabe off-handedly suggested to Ohno about accepting the Chairman position and making Genshiken into a cosplay research club. Ohno's reaction and that of Kasukabe and Ogiue were awesome.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

User avatar
Full Metal Sempai
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Athens, Greece
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby Full Metal Sempai » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:11 pm

Willen wrote:Episode 7, more than the previous episodes, is very character-driven.

Three members graduate and leave Genshiken so it's kind of a melancholy episode. The series is definitely shifting it's focus now.

Don't worry, there's still some hilarious comedy.

I died laughing when Kasukabe off-handedly suggested to Ohno about accepting the Chairman position and making Genshiken into a cosplay research club. Ohno's reaction and that of Kasukabe and Ogiue were awesome.


Well,the anime would become a bit serious now.Finishing university,entering society,finding a job...it's a slash of life anime after all though the comedy parts are just gold.I kinda want to see what awaits the finale of the anime for Ogiue most of all and secondly Ohno.

User avatar
Yarry
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Denmark
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby Yarry » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:27 pm

Haha, just watched ep. 8, and I enjoyed it so much that I had to watch it again.

I love Ohno's reaction when Kuchiki begins to touch the cosplay-clothing :D


Return to “Anime Series Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests