Simple Question: which filter do you recommend to play AMV?

itsmebj
Org Profile

Simple Question: which filter do you recommend to play AMV?

Post by itsmebj » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:25 am

I'm new to AMV. This may be a too simple question. Which filter (.dll or .ax) do you recommend to install on Windows to play AMV videos?

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:33 am

? filter ? .. windows media player was not designed to play most of the Formats we use here; I'd recommend VLC Player. It already knows which CODEC's we are using and can play many things that most DVD Players have never heard of 8-) Plus it has Options available to it that media player never even considered to be useful.

.. its free ^__^ http://www.free-codecs.com/download/VideoLAN.htm

itsmebj
Org Profile

Post by itsmebj » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:25 am

Thanks for the prompt reply. I tried VideoLan from the link you recommended but still couldn't play AMV files. Any clue on this? Also, If there is codec filter, it will be quite flexible that some good players like Media Player Classic can play AMV files. Thanks.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:10 am

This site has nothing to do with the AMV format, although apparently that format is simply a variant of MJPEG and support for it is now included in ffmpeg (and ffdshow, by extension, but I've not really checked on that). Whether there is a special splitter needed or not I don't know - it depends on if the things use a specialized container or if it's just standard AVI or MOV with an aberrant extension.

What this site is for are Anime Music Videos, which come in a wide array of different formats, most of which VLC would have no problem playing, hardware strength permitting.

itsmebj
Org Profile

Post by itsmebj » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:41 am

I tried ffdshow latest version "20070701" but it seems it still doesn't work. The container format is AVI (subtype of AM_MEDIA_TYPE is MEDIASUBTYPE_Avi). Any other codec to try? Or any clue on this? Any help is really appreciated.

RosenRed
Org Profile

Post by RosenRed » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:46 am

Err, maybe you mean something like this?

AMV is a file extension used by chinese mp3/mp4 players and it is NOT mp4.

As to how you play them, not much to offer here :) If VLC fails, pretty sure that ffdshow will fail as well...
<a>Deep Into The Rabbit Hole...</a>

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:13 am

itsmebj wrote:I tried ffdshow latest version "20070701" but it seems it still doesn't work. The container format is AVI (subtype of AM_MEDIA_TYPE is MEDIASUBTYPE_Avi). Any other codec to try? Or any clue on this? Any help is really appreciated.
Well, no, that wouldn't work because I believe it was added sometime in September or October. Try one of the nightly builds instead, and make sure that both MJPEG and Other MJPEG options are set to libavcodec in the video decoder configuration (the AMVV FourCC code is under 'Other', but select both to be safe) - you might be able to do this during the install, otherwise you'll have to call up the configuration dialog from ffdshow's Program menu (Start->Programs->ffdshow->Video decoder configuration). Just make sure you uninstall that July build first.

The latest nightly build by clsid is here (specifically, it's the one marked rev1611):
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=199416

Or if you want the latest build by xxl (rev1620):
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=214245

The difference between those two are pretty marginal, although clsid's builds tend not to require you to restart after installing it, if I remember correctly.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:44 am

well if it's an avi file :P

to get codec information right-click on the video file, and choose "properties" and click the tab that says "summery" it should be listed next to compression and if that doesn't work, get a program called GSpot and drop the file in it

find out what codec it is you are missing and install it.

itsmebj
Org Profile

Post by itsmebj » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:52 am

Thanks, all.

Qyot27, I tried the latest ffdshow and it seems it works. Just it plays the movie too fast (around 3x faster). I tried 1/2 and 1/4 speed. 1/2 is still too fast and 1/4 is too slow. :(

Return to “Video & Audio Help”