Freezeing on Import

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.
Mistracid
Org Profile

Freezeing on Import

Post by Mistracid » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:59 am

Ok, firstly, I read the FAQs and Common problems. I checked my computer, its almost brand new, I don't need new RAM, it doesn't run slow, and I even tried rebooting and trying with no other programmes running.
The problem is, I try and import an episode so I can begin slicing it up, and it stops. It doesn't create any clips, it freezes, and then I have to end the programme because it just completely stops responding.
The file is a Windows Media Player file, and I seriously doubt its a problem with the file.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do?
This attempt has been dead on arrival

prYzm
Org Profile

Post by prYzm » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:12 am

what type of file are u importing into WMM? mostly what codec are you using.

Mistracid
Org Profile

Post by Mistracid » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:05 am

Its a .wmp and I dont know about codecs im seriously new to this.
This attempt has been dead on arrival

prYzm
Org Profile

Post by prYzm » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:24 am

er, i cant for the life of me figure it out, ive never used a .wmp file before, and i cant even find any links to it on google O_o. wmp is a video player not a container as far as i knew (the containers being stuff like .wmv .avi .mp4 etc). so the .wmp file is probably part of your problem.
you might be able to run the file through virtualdub with avisynth to convert it into an editable file but im not sure...

one thing to check tho to find out your codec, if you right click on your file and choose properties, in the summary menu you might have something that says 'video compression' (not all files list it by default) next to the video compression will be something like XVID or DIVX listed. tho as an wmp im not sure. mostly its the .avi container which details this, mpegs and wmv's the codec is told in the file extension. :/ u might need one of the real technical wizz's like scintila or kariudo to help you

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:34 am

to get codec information right-click on the video file, and choose "properties" and click the tab that says "summery" it should be listed next to compression and if that doesn't work, get a program called GSpot and drop the file in it
~~~~~~~~~~~~

WMP is the common internet abbreviation for Windows Media Player :3 (and is pretty much all that comes up in a google search for the container)

are you sure its WMP and not WMV?

Return to “Windows Movie Maker”