The AC Cubed 2007 AMV Contest Playlist and Winners

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
lynit
Org Profile

Post by lynit » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:16 pm

Decomposing Trout Studios--You Are
“Clocks” by Coldplay
Anime: Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time)
RUNNER-UP - BEST COMPOSITION
:up::up:

8-) Awesome. You even got my new studio name up there.
<Stirspeare> Otohiko: You guys sure love dongs.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:59 pm

Totally surprised at my standing there. I doubted I could even get a runner-up in one of them categories, let alone this - but I ain't complaining! Especially not with that prize (Haruhi boxset). :D

Awesome job, for all the technical difficulties the contest went well! Congrats to everyone who took well-deserved positions there.

And yes, I agree, I want that video uploaded Douggie. :o
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Haunter103
Org Profile

Post by Haunter103 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:36 pm

I can't add this contest to my vid's details for some reason (It's in the list, but there's no checkbox for it) :|

Anyways, I had great fun at the con. I'm very pleased that my video played through in full without error. And I know Fall_Child42 was very happy to deprive me of any chance at the Most Original award this time around :P

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:37 pm

Haunter103 wrote:I can't add this contest to my vid's details for some reason (It's in the list, but there's no checkbox for it) :|

Anyways, I had great fun at the con. I'm very pleased that my video played through in full without error. And I know Fall_Child42 was very happy to deprive me of any chance at the Most Original award this time around :P
I should say, I was surprised your video didn't take a runner-up in the technical or composition categories at least. Was definitely among my favorites there. Ah well!
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Haunter103
Org Profile

Post by Haunter103 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:50 pm

Otohiko wrote:
Haunter103 wrote:I can't add this contest to my vid's details for some reason (It's in the list, but there's no checkbox for it) :|

I should say, I was surprised your video didn't take a runner-up in the technical or composition categories at least. Was definitely among my favorites there. Ah well!
The judge I bribed didn't even show up for the voting session. I want my money back >:\
(Next time I'll be sure to save enough money to bribe enough judges)

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:54 pm

Woot Most Original. (favorite award)

I thought for sure if anything it would have been fish though :O

Thanks again Dave, and all others who helped.

Despite the technical difficulties it was a good contest.

GGPO

yoshi1001
Org Profile

Post by yoshi1001 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:24 pm

Glad to see my video ("Hungry for More") made it. It was my first one (just wait until I show my second) and I think I learned a lot from it.

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Re: The AC Cubed 2007 AMV Contest Playlist and Winners

Post by DJ_Izumi » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:28 pm

Scintilla wrote:This demonstrates the value of paying attention to the title-safe region during the editing process.
My fault, not the editors. We used a projector system, no overscan. Couldn't find anything to prop the projector up the extra but so the bottom foot of the image wasn't going UNDER the screen and being projected into the shirts of the audience in the first row.

As for the general operation of the contest showing, I honestly have to say, it was pathetic, and it was me running the showing. I'm sorry, honestly. The con has grown by 400 attendees every year and the staff has not grown to keep up. I was overextended in the video department and I was overly confident that Friday morning I would have the time to set everything straight before the convention and I was wrong. Then the usual video related bumps and humps from a convention came and it all got even more screwed up.

A modified Xbox should not have been used for the showing, we had issues with hardware alocation and it was what was available... It's also my fault cause it's install of Xbox Media Center wasn't even from the 'Stable' branch of the tree. It was so screwed up, I couldn't even get out to START the video room in 110 that should have run during the contest and it instead stood empty with nothing on screen and confused attendees wondering what's going on.

So all I can say is two things.

1) I'm sorry.

2) I've already found another person to assist on staff in the video department who will be extreamly capable and I intend to see that crap like this doesn't happen agian. He will most likely be dealing with the AMV contest with PC hardware next year, as we've usually done, and a signifigant improvement over this year's contest showing is almost guarinteed. (Considdering that all that could have gone WORSE this year was losing all the video files or maybe a fire, it's not like that's a hard thing to promise)

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:31 pm

Hey, no trouble, so long as you acknowledge that and we have that as a lesson for next year!

The X-box did well for 80% of the stuff, but it really was choking on some of the newer encodings and higher bitrates. Which really turned nasty in a couple of places.

Otherwise it ran quite well I thought. The audio system was much better than the previous years (if a bit too loud), and I guess besides the playback issues my only qualm would be the positioning/size of the screen. It'd be nice if the contest could get a second screen in that hall, I mean there was another screen there physically but no projector for it...

Hope the extra staff helps next year!

PS - nice job on those TVs w/X-boxes in the halls though. That worked really well, you could even see clusters of people around them watching AMV hell when the 'official' showing ended...

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:51 pm

Otohiko wrote:The X-box did well for 80% of the stuff, but it really was choking on some of the newer encodings and higher bitrates. Which really turned nasty in a couple of places.
I'm still trying to figure out why it choked on the AD Police video, that was straight up DivX6, that shouldn't have been an issue.[/quote]
Otohiko wrote:Otherwise it ran quite well I thought. The audio system was much better than the previous years (if a bit too loud), and I guess besides the playback issues my only qualm would be the positioning/size of the screen. It'd be nice if the contest could get a second screen in that hall, I mean there was another screen there physically but no projector for it...
Not my position, but yes, the person who was in charge of that room primarily should have considdered the fact that the AMV contest needed a screen in the center.
Otohiko wrote:PS - nice job on those TVs w/X-boxes in the halls though. That worked really well, you could even see clusters of people around them watching AMV hell when the 'official' showing ended...
Yes, the Xbox does actually perform very nicely as a video over IP box, though still a few issues came up that needed to be addressed, but in general they did as intended and were cost effective for the job. That feature will be returning most defiantly. It was also nice to see the little groups arranged around the con watching the Masquerade on the remote TVs as well.

The AMV contest itself was ment to be broadcast, but due to some last minute rewiring for the AMV showing, the video was no longer feeding into the server. So that's why I threw AMV hell onto a loop, cause I could run it off a local file

Return to “AMV Contests”