Post a grid of your nine favorite albums.

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:27 am

Flint the Dwarf wrote:Two of those albums appear on my list. Good luck guessing which ones. :P
Since the 4 Russian ones, beefheart, the rarer live KC and Sylvian (as per Nine Horses) can be counted out with you pretty quickly, that leaves us with, well, two choices remaining :P
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:44 am

BZZT. Your #5 will actually appear somewhere on my list. :p
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:14 am

Flint the Dwarf wrote:BZZT. Your #5 will actually appear somewhere on my list. :p
ofail (for me) :roll:

Glad at that, though.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Warheart
Org Profile

Post by Warheart » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:51 am

Haha, I broke the rules by adding more :O

Dark Tranquillity - Projector
Pendulum - Hold your Color
Mucc - Best of Mucc
Insomnium - Above the Weeping World
This Will Destroy You - Young Mountain
Threshold - Critical Mass
In Flames - Colony
Audioslave - Audioslave
Machinae Supreamcy - Redeemer (Retail & Underground)
Social Distortion - Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll
X Japan - Blue Blood
Opeth - Black Water Park
Immortal - Sons of Nothern Darkness
Disarmonia Mundi - Fragemnts of D-Generation
Turbonegro - Apocalypse Dudes
Fightstar - Grand Unification
Pain - Nothing Remains the Same
Nightrage - Sweet Vengeance

Well, I tried to cover all my fave genres but failed still not enough CDs on there. Anyway some coverartworks are real artworks and others just plain suck ...

inthesto
Beef Basket
Org Profile

Post by inthesto » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:08 am

Man, you're off by an entire margin of 100%.

And you actually expect me to believe you listen to Pendulum?

On a side note, I actually do own a hard copy of Hold Your Colour, and it's one of the few albums I haven't let slip into another dimension.
Sukunai, Real Canadian Hero wrote:Note to any Muslims present. Abuse a female in my presence, and you are being sent to a hospital emergency ward with life threatening injuries. And no human law will make me change my mind.

OhmGautama
Org Profile

Post by OhmGautama » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:43 am

"I think just looking at this grid will make you gay. Sorry."

hehe are you saying that because of the Erasure album SarahtheBoring? :P
"Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make"

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:38 am

I organized this from top to bottom, left to right - the first column represents my tastes in middle/high school, the second in college, and the third since I came to Japan. I still listen to all of it (and stuff like it, of course), but yeah. Of course there's a story behind all of these.

1. Eminem - The Slim Shady LP (I know that saying 'I was into Eminem before he got big' is asking for mockery but his older stuff? The b-sides and collabs he was doing around the time this album came out? It's as good as he ever was. Tragedy he went the direction he did after the MM LP)
2. Limp Bizkit - Significant Other (Yeah... angsty teenager phase. I loved the artwork on this album)
3. Weird Al Yankovic - Running With Scissors (I listened to Weird Al since I was a kid, but this is still one of my favorite albums of his - the one time I saw him live was on the Scissors tour)

4. The Pillows - My Foot (College is when I started getting more into Japanese culture, and this is one of my favorite Pillows albums - just the right amount of edge to go w/ that melody)
5. VNV Nation - Empires (My best friend introduced me to the Goth/Industrial scene the summer before my freshman year - it's hard to pick an album to represent that phase in my life but this would come pretty close)
6. Mae - The Everglow (yeah, I know, me and half of RDS)

7. Ellegarden - Eleven Fire Crackers (This is the kind of stuff I've been into lately - melodic punk, except of course all of the Japanese bands, save for Ellegarden, have really bad English. I've pretty much sold my soul to Ellegarden as anyone who's read my concert reports will attest to, and as long as they keep playing I'll gladly pay off the interest)
8. The Cherry Coke$ - Rouse Up (These guys are <i>goddamned awesome</i>. A Japanese Irish-Punk band, I am not shitting you. I'm actually good friends with them through the photos I've taken at their shows. On the same level as Flogging Molly and the Pogues)
9. Various - Atomic Ray (This is actually a compilation of Final Fantasy themes, all happy hardcore/gabber/etc remixes. This is the kinda music I loved but never really knew where to find before I attended Comiket, now I have at least 2-3 gigs of it in my iPod)

Tono_Fyr
Org Profile

Post by Tono_Fyr » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:11 pm

From top left to bottom right.

Angra - Temple of Shadows
Blind Guardian - A Night At The Opera
Amon Amarth - With Odin On Our Side
Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
Ayreon - The Human Equation
Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider
Dream Theater - Images And Words
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Orphaned Land - Mabool

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:56 pm

Alright you bastards win :(

Basically I picked 9 albums that I consider "pantheon-worthy". Or, albums that I know I would list amongst my favorites. The truth is, I could make this same list with 9 other albums about 5 times over and feel totally comfortable about it :O

And these are in no particular order.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

1. Radiohead - OK Computer
2. Sigur Ros - Takk
3. Sufjan Stevens - Come On Feel The Illinoise
4. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
5. Halley - Forget The Leaves, Autumn Will Change Us
6. Explosions in the Sky - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place
7. EF - Give Me Beauty, Or Give Me Death
8. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
9. The Postal Service - Give Up
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Warheart
Org Profile

Post by Warheart » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:10 pm

inthesto wrote:Man, you're off by an entire margin of 100%.

And you actually expect me to believe you listen to Pendulum?

On a side note, I actually do own a hard copy of Hold Your Colour, and it's one of the few albums I haven't let slip into another dimension.
Haha, yes I listen to Pendulum on regular basis. Atom actually influenced my musical taste quite a bit, although it's pretty hard to actually get the CDs like Pendulum or This Will Destroy you. ;)

Return to “General Discussion”