House of Leaves

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Serv0
Org Profile

Post by Serv0 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:23 am

Tsunami Jones wrote:I might pick this up next time I need something to read. It looks like something that I'll really dig or absolutely hate :o
Need something to read? I guarantee TJ, the book will give you something to read for the rest of your life. :wink:
AtomX wrote:I prefered the soundtrack.
Poe?

TO ayanefan:

I can dig Dune. There's nothing wrong with Frank Herberts' Lord of the Rings of science fiction. 8-)

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:03 pm

Otohiko wrote:I was quite happy with the way it was presented. Wasn't captured by the story nor convinced by the characters very much, but looking back at the way it was structured/written - it was very, very clever. I liked the book's format more than any of its' internal components.
I saw a newer book of his called Only Revolutions. From what I gathered, it's a two-perspective story, told alternately front-to-back and back-to-front. Each page has two columns of text, one going up and one going down. Even the covers are reversed, so it looks right whichever way you hold the book.

I'm honestly just a bit daunted by Danielewski's presentation, so I haven't given either book a run through, although I've been meaning to.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.
Org Profile

Post by Tsunami Jones » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:54 pm

servo101010 wrote:TJ, the book will give you something to read for the rest of your life.
Doubt it :uhoh:

Not because I think the book will be uninteresting or anything like that, but after I read something once, I rarely ever go back and read it again, even if I really, really enjoyed it. I'd much rather move on to something that I haven't read than something I already have.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:46 pm

I don't know what's up with them pretentious titles and "books forevar", etc.

HoL is a clever little book that provides both a lot of mental stimulation and outright headfuck. A lot of ideas/quotes in it (like what Orwell cited there) are really gold in it.

As I said, I actually didn't care for the contained story as much as one might have, but the very fact that it's basically a book about a book about a documentary that doesn't exist about a house that is larger on the inside than the outside - well, if that's not perfect brain-tickling material, I don't know what is!
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

requiett
Org Profile

Re: House of Leaves

Post by requiett » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:11 pm

servo101010 wrote:So who's with me on this one? Is House of Leaves not one of the greatest books of all time?
Good enough to be the only thing in my profile for the last couple years.

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:46 pm

ayanefan wrote:I just though of a great movie though, I'd call it "Gymn'ass-kicks" . Gymnasts by day, crime fighters by night, and love on the ropes (or balance beams).

My luck it's probably been done already. :(
How right you are!

Ayanefan
Org Profile

Post by Ayanefan » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:04 am

dokool wrote: How right you are!
LOL!!! I think I remember that VHS box too! Well, at least mine had a more teen-smut oriented title.

You know, I've tried reading "Stranger in a strange Land" and couldn't get through it. That Valentine fellow with the kissing scenes turned me off. Who'd want to kiss a Martian?

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:29 am

I suggest We all read a book a discuss it in the Dewelopers Forum Book club.

Suggestion #1 We read The Tetherballs of Bougainville

it is awesome.

inthesto
Beef Basket
Org Profile

Post by inthesto » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:42 pm

I demand The Princess Bride.

Mostly so I wouldn't have to do any actual reading.
Sukunai, Real Canadian Hero wrote:Note to any Muslims present. Abuse a female in my presence, and you are being sent to a hospital emergency ward with life threatening injuries. And no human law will make me change my mind.

Ayanefan
Org Profile

Post by Ayanefan » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:06 pm

inthesto wrote:I demand The Princess Bride.

Mostly so I wouldn't have to do any actual reading.
If I were a girl I'd squee. Ah, well, what the hell *SQUEEEEEEE* I love that book! There were a few things taken out of the movie that made me dislike the movie after I read the book.
Spoiler :
Like the whole maze that Ingo and Vizzini had to escape from that was totally omitted in the book. And the whole "I love you" scenes at the beginning. The book, if I remember right, never has Westley said I love you to Buttercup, just shows it in his eyes and feels it in his heart.
I swear I'm just a girl sometimes.

Return to “General Discussion”