Thing I learned today

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Beowulf
Org Profile

Thing I learned today

Post by Beowulf » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:40 am

My jewish director was talking to me about Judaism and all things relating, and she told me an interesting bit of trivia about the holocaust.

Basically there are two MAJOR things that jews don't do:

1. They always bury their dead, they never cremate.

2. They NEVER get tatoos on their body EVER EVER EVER.

So on top of being one of the greatest atrocities in recent history, the holocaust was the ultimate "fuck you" to the jews. First you make them get a number tattooed on their body, and then you burn them to ash.

Never knew that before :up:

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:11 am

And yet, my family lives on. There's you're ultimate "fuck you" back in their eye.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:56 am

hence why I am great full I pulled out of that whole religion thing years ago...

quite enlightening, you learn something everyday. My quota is now filled for the day ^^
ImageImageImageImage

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:29 am

ngsilver wrote:hence why I am great full I pulled out of that whole religion thing years ago...

quite enlightening, you learn something everyday. My quota is now filled for the day ^^
..... I don't get how that makes you grateful o_O What the hell do these facts about Judaism and how it related to the Holocaust have to do with that?
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

guy07
Org Profile

Post by guy07 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:54 am

Try as you might, you just can't keep a good jew-man down :up:

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:28 am

Not that it matters much but the cremation thing depends on the type of jew you're talking to. Orthodox Jews are strictly against cremation to the point they'd often refuse to perform a burial service for a jew who was fried. American Reform Jews have a much more relaxed attitude towards cremation, they recommend against it but generally will perform religious burial services for a Folgers can full of ash. Further proof Americans fuck religious rules all up, as if the Roman Catholic vs abortion/birth control thing wasn't proof enough.

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:07 am

Yeah, and the tattoo thing isn't as big either - my best friend is Israeli and his family are better Jews than most could ever hope of being, but his sister has gotten tons of ink. I recall reading an article last year about more and more Jews getting tattoo work done, so it's not an isolated thing.

The other fun bit about Jewish burials is that they take place roughly within 3 days of death - I think there's some rule that if it happens before sunset it's 2 days later, if it happens after sunset it's 3 days later. Makes sense when you think about it - gets all of the grieving out of the way.

Although, arranging to fly back to the States for a funeral on zero notice? Not the most fun thing in the world.

guy07
Org Profile

Post by guy07 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:08 am

DOKOOL'S A JEW! GET 'EM! :twisted:

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:34 pm

guy07 wrote:DOKOOL'S A JEW! GET 'EM! :twisted:
You're a Canadian, you're a waste of poison gas and ovens :P

Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.
Org Profile

Post by Tsunami Jones » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:44 pm

dokool wrote:The other fun bit about Jewish burials is that they take place roughly within 3 days of death - I think there's some rule that if it happens before sunset it's 2 days later, if it happens after sunset it's 3 days later. Makes sense when you think about it - gets all of the grieving out of the way.
If I recall correctly, that has to do with an ancient Hebrew belief that the soul can return to the body within two days.

Return to “General Discussion”