America: A Degenerate Society?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Re: America: A Degenerate Society?

Post by Fall_Child42 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:42 am

Orwell wrote:Beo: We have a culture obviously, look how rampant it is IN THE WORLD. We very much so have a culture, however it's so different from all the others that some don't recognize it.
Now keep in mind I am 100% serious about this post.

<a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... ionqk4.jpg[/img]</a>

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:54 am

I don't have all that much time to post, but i think there are a few things that haven't been touched on that probably should be.

The average American doesn't care about politics because he figures all politicians are corrupt and going to fuck him over in the long run. This defeatist attitude (combined with strong regionalistic moral stratifications) really makes us a series of extremely different groups that are constantly at odds politically. We don't want a single culture, because we don't want to be considered the same as those that we are vehemently opposed to for one reason or another. Why try to unifiy in some way when you don't have the same moral/political/religious belief structures as your neighbors and you take pride in that fact?

I think there's this innate desire within each little cultural group to be the one America is known for. They think, at some level, that if they can become successful and powerful enough, this undefined nation will be defined by them. Since money is power (or can buy the power to get rid of opposition if someone doesn't want to sell out), people strive for that money.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

guy07
Org Profile

Post by guy07 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:58 am

Yeah ... america sucks ... not much you can do about that ... except maybe move to another country, or give more power to the religious nuts who want to encourage family values. But who needs that, right? :roll:

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:04 pm

guy07 wrote:Yeah ... america sucks ... not much you can do about that ... except maybe move to another country, or give more power to the religious nuts who want to encourage family values. But who needs that, right? :roll:
There's a reason the 2nd amendment exists. It's not about protecting your family from intruders or hunting, it's for overthrowing the government. No way in hell that could happen, but that was the intent of the law.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:08 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
guy07 wrote:Yeah ... america sucks ... not much you can do about that ... except maybe move to another country, or give more power to the religious nuts who want to encourage family values. But who needs that, right? :roll:
There's a reason the 2nd amendment exists. It's not about protecting your family from intruders or hunting, it's for overthrowing the government. No way in hell that could happen, but that was the intent of the law.
Don't try, complex geopolitical situations are not Guy's strong point.

inthesto
Beef Basket
Org Profile

Post by inthesto » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:09 pm

Man, who the fuck eats a Pizza Hut anymore
Sukunai, Real Canadian Hero wrote:Note to any Muslims present. Abuse a female in my presence, and you are being sent to a hospital emergency ward with life threatening injuries. And no human law will make me change my mind.

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:32 pm

inthesto wrote:Man, who the fuck eats a Pizza Hut anymore
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayOr5wd219Q

I WIN.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:02 pm

Everyone likes to hate on the USA, and I can't say I'm terribly proud of our country as it's often presented, nor am I proud of how it's being led.

Lately though, I've been really fucking proud to be an American. People are starting to lose their apathy. People are starting to come together. People are starting to care. Many don't see it yet, but there is a cultural and political revolution coming.

Jnzk
Artsy Bastid
Org Profile

Post by Jnzk » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:38 pm

Corran wrote:Touch is extremely important, yet the older we get, the larger our personal no-touch bubble expands. I wouldn't be surprised if a sociologist could connect this with the suicide rates in various societies...
You may be on to something here...

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:48 pm

i think the current american culture is claiming that the government or other cultures are suppressing their own because they can't practice it at public schools

Return to “General Discussion”