More precise control?

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.
DarkAngelYahriel
Org Profile

More precise control?

Post by DarkAngelYahriel » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:47 am

Is there a way to get more precise control from Movie Maker? I prefer the precision control of a program like VirtuaDub where I can edit clips down to the frame, not just a general area on the timeline. -_-

It's probably just my settings or something... if you can't tell, I'm a newb at MM.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:34 am

WMM can't get down to the frame-by-frame level, IIRC it can go down to 2 frames...but that still doesn't help when your cut needs to be on the frame in-between

I'd just stick with clipping using vdub or vdbmod

DarkAngelYahriel
Org Profile

Post by DarkAngelYahriel » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:39 am

VDubMod would be fine for clipping, but I'm trying to do my movie editting to/with the audio track...

is there another program that offer that kind of precision, without a whole lot of bells and whistles?

juu-chan-
Org Profile

Post by juu-chan- » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:55 pm

WMM 6.0 is more precise than WMM 2.0.
You can cut a clip every 0.04 seconds instead of 0.08.
If you are saving your video with 25 frames per second (with VirtualDubMod) the cuts will be frame acurate.

And if I remember correctly VirtualDubMod isn't more precise than 0.04 seconds, too.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:20 pm

vdub works on the frame-by-frame level...so if the video had a framerate of 120fps you would still be able to go to every frame.

NTSC footage isn't 25fps either, you could make your footage run at 25fps but it would really screw up any interlacing that the video has. going from 30-25 would make your footage a bit slower, going from ~24 to 25 would speed it up a bit

as for other editing programs...your best bet is to try some and see if you like it
software list thread

juu-chan-
Org Profile

Post by juu-chan- » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:01 pm

Kariudo wrote:vdub works on the frame-by-frame level...so if the video had a framerate of 120fps you would still be able to go to every frame.
Ok, then the videos I worked with probably had 25fps.
Kariudo wrote:NTSC footage isn't 25fps either, you could make your footage run at 25fps but it would really screw up any interlacing that the video has. going from 30-25 would make your footage a bit slower, going from ~24 to 25 would speed it up a bit
The footage I used was PAL with 25fps.
And what I meant was not changing how many frames are shown during one second (of all the frames your video has), but how many fps will really be shown. (don't know how to say this less complicated)
The way I meant it, the video won't be faster (or slower), but it will be missing frames (or will have more frames).
And if there was interlacing I would first deinterlace the videos I'm using, then I would make the amv and change the framerate before I compress the video with vdub.

DarkAngelYahriel
Org Profile

Post by DarkAngelYahriel » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:59 pm

Thanks for the software link. I knew it was in here SOMEWHERE, but for some reason, it's really hard to find. =/ It should be linked from the FAQ or How-To section.

Here's to finding something with frame-level control!

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:18 am

Kariudo wrote:WMM can't get down to the frame-by-frame level, IIRC it can go down to 2 frames...but that still doesn't help when your cut needs to be on the frame in-between
Haven't read the rest of the thread, but it is possible to get WMM to cut down to one frame. You need to reduce the clip to two frames and then put the marker in the middle of the frame on the timeline and use whatever hotkeys WMM uses for splitting clips.

DarkAngelYahriel
Org Profile

Post by DarkAngelYahriel » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:28 am

that seems like a lot more trouble than it's worth. I'm just going to try some of the other free video software listed.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:49 pm

Rendering out clips to use just so you can get them down to the exact frame takes a LOT more time than just doing it in WMM.

Return to “Windows Movie Maker”